advertisement

DAB/DAB+ Tuners currently available?

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
What models of DAB/DAB+ tuners are currently available in the UK?

I've become curious about this as they virtually never even get a mention in the hi-fi magazines I read, let alone any reviews or details. I know they tend to get dismissed because the low bitrates mess up the sound quality. But not details like how well they can reject RF noise, which examples are more sensitive, etc.

The reviews that I have seen over the years showed that most used only a couple of OEM receiver modules

These FM/DAB/..... receivers often use really nasty software defined radio receivers and do all decoding in a cpu
Not surprised. Most of my life has been spent in rural areas with little decent radio signal (even with a multi element) and squat DAB coverage. I’ve used Satellite and now Internet as my sources of Radio. One of my vans has DAB which kicks in after about 15 mins from my house, when I get a lift in it I have a mess, seems aimed at choice not quality as a format, handy in the motor though.

As Amber Audio says, probably the only ones worth having are the Rotel or Onkyo, Richer Sounds have both, along with a couple of others.
I gave up on Dab, as my Cyrus Dab 8.0 was not Dab+, so bought a Zen Blue to stream from my phone to get Radio X.

It’s a totally obsolete format. I’m amazed they are still made. Entirely negated by internet radio. I’d stick with both FM and a computer solution.

No, it’s very useful in the car. But agreed, at home it doesn’t seem to have a place.

Not surprised. Most of my life has been spent in rural areas with little decent radio signal (even with a multi element) and squat DAB coverage. I’ve used Satellite and now Internet as my sources of Radio. One of my vans has DAB which kicks in after about 15 mins from my house, when I get a lift in it I have a mess, seems aimed at choice not quality as a format, handy in the motor though.
Maybe move to a town? Lol

I seem to remember adverts for DAB radio on classic fm..I heard down here on the South Coast that the French complained about the signal interference from DAB which is why the signal is weak? There was talk of positioning the masts facing inland from the coast so to avoid antagonising the French.. I happen to think the French will start whinging about something else instead!

It’s a totally obsolete format. I’m amazed they are still made. Entirely negated by internet radio. I’d stick with both FM and a computer solution.

Well, you could also argue that FM is obsolete given streaming. And for some people many of the *speech* stations, for example, on DAB might not be conveniently obtained by other means. I suspect it's a niche (potential) audience, but maybe satisfied by things like portable/alarm-clock radios. However I'm now curious as to how much of the poor results aren't inherent, but due to rubbish radio designs. I can't recall any reviews that deal with anything like this. And some makers may not care given the poor rep as people will blame the format if the tuner is poor.

These FM/DAB/..... receivers often use really nasty software defined radio receivers and do all decoding in a cpu

Yes. Software defined is useful for flexibility, etc, but may mean the makers leave out as 'frills' things like decent analog RF input filters. Leaving the tuner exposed to being jammed by RFI over a wide band. But since Hi-Fi mags shy away I can't recall anyone doing checks on things like this. Which leaves me wondering how much of the poor reputation might be fixed by relatively simple mods.

Well, you could also argue that FM is obsolete given streaming. And for some people many of the *speech* stations, for example, on DAB might not be conveniently obtained by other means. I suspect it's a niche (potential) audience, but maybe satisfied by things like portable/alarm-clock radios. However I'm now curious as to how much of the poor results aren't inherent, but due to rubbish radio designs. I can't recall any reviews that deal with anything like this. And some makers may not care given the poor rep as people will blame the format if the tuner is poor.
One of the things that spoiled 192 kHz Radio 3 on DAB for me was when the BBC decided to process the audio through the same "optimod" as FM before coding. That triggered me into arranging an Internet stream.

Apart from Radio 3 I have never listened to DAB extensively, so I have no opinion about lower bit rates, but without that pre-broadcast processing I preferred it for the R3 evening concert. That's not DAB's fault (at that bit rate anyway). And I found the 256 kbit/s audio that was occasionally used for early DTV broadcasts of concerts quite sparkling.

Mines a Denon stand alone tuner which cuts out for 5 or 6 seconds every 25 minutes which always pleases me greatly.

Aren’t most of the DAB stations available through your tv? Sky, virgin etc have loads of radio stations bundled in with your telly. on the odd occasion I want to listen to planet rock or absolute, that’s what I do. Got an optical cable running from telly to sacd, works well enough for me.

advertisement

Back