advertisement

dCS Network Bridge-any reason not to?

indus

pfm Member
Hi
I'm in the market for a streaming transport and the dCS NB seems to come up time and time again as sounding wonderful. My other options are an Aries G1 or Lumin U1 mini. Even second hand the dCS costs about £1k more than the other two so that's definitely one consideration.

But the more major issue is that the NB is now discontinued and I wonder if a digital device such as this could be rendered obsolete very quickly?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I think you need to define "obsolete". Obsolete as in being superseded by a newer model - most definitely. Obsolete in terms of the formats handled - highly unlikely imho.

I think you need to define "obsolete". Obsolete as in being superseded by a newer model - most definitely. Obsolete in terms of the formats handled - highly unlikely imho.

I meant the latter, makes no difference to me if a newer model was released.

However kit like this depends with its life on software. Apparently the app/software used is common to all dCS streamers, ie Mosaic.
As the app continues to be developed could the time not come when the Network Bridge can no longer function properly?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but when shelling out this much money longevity is very important

dCS have stated the Bridge will remain a supported product but no longer made as it is no longer feasible to produce - shortages and cost as i understand.

All 3 are top pieces of kit it. Not sure the dCS is worth the extra dosh but if money wasn’t a factor it’s what I’d choose.

Personally I'd go for the Auralic but that's just my opinion. If you could find an Aries 2.1 for a good price, even better.
Had the Aries G2 which is my favourite Auralic unit although sold on now as I went Bartok, it’s a fairer fight and I did choose the G2 over the Bridge, I wouldn’t have chosen the G1. Prices have all gone up, some massively, dCS are up a huge %.

Personally I'd go for the Auralic but that's just my opinion. If you could find an Aries 2.1 for a good price, even better.

The Auralic makes more sense when thinking logically. For £1k less than a used dCS I get a brand new G1 with full warranty etc.

I just keep reading such superlatives about the dCS though...

Had the Aries G2 which is my favourite Auralic unit although sold on now as I went Bartok, it’s a fairer fight and I did choose the G2 over the Bridge, I wouldn’t have chosen the G1. Prices have all gone up, some massively, dCS are up a huge %.

Indeed they have. When the NB was released about 4 years ago it was £3200, just prior to it's retirement the price had gone to circa £4.5k!

Having owned a DCS Network Bridge I reckon it is a good, not great, 'streamer'. It is a physically pleasing 3/4 sized design and ir is a shame that a 'mark 2' hasn't been developed.The reviews are now 4-5 years old and streaming has moved on. I think it on a par with the Naim ND5XS2 and NDX2 (with XPS-DR) digital out - so good value vs. the NDX2/XPS-DR if you have an external DAC you prefer.

DCS deliberately designed the NB to work best with their own 'legacy' DACS (e.g. Debussy & Scarletti). I ran mine into a Chord Dave and found the single AES/SBU interconnect (I used Atlas Mavros) to provide the best solution, which I did like. The RCA SP/DIF output is a disappointment.

It is possible to link the NB and the Dave (or other Chord DACs) with Dual AES into BNC (to simulate a MScaler) with an additional Neutrik converter, but I found that altered the sound - so technically it worked, but didn't add anything.

The Mosaic app and it's integration on to the streamer itself is good, but quite basic. The internet radio aggregator that DCS use does not support FLAC Internet Radio streams, only MP3.

When I heard the Auralic Aries G2.1 side-by-side in my own system with the DCS NB it was a very easy decision to move the NB on to a new (happy) home and buy the Aries G2.1.

I own a DCS NB and echo the comments of Interceptor. I use an AES connection to the DAC and find that works best.

My issue with the NB is that you need to use Mosaic if you want gapless playback and in my configuration I have problems streaming Qobuz. I frequently get 4 to 5 second pauses with Mosaic which I don't get with BubbleUPNP. Unfortunately BUPNP does not support gapless. And neither DCS or Qobuz are particularly interested in my problem which they suggest is down to a local network configuration issue. I am not a network engineer.

Otherwise the NB sounds good in my setup.

Having owned a DCS Network Bridge I reckon it is a good, not great, 'streamer'. It is a physically pleasing 3/4 sized design and ir is a shame that a 'mark 2' hasn't been developed.The reviews are now 4-5 years old and streaming has moved on. I think it on a par with the Naim ND5XS2 and NDX2 (with XPS-DR) digital out - so good value vs. the NDX2/XPS-DR if you have an external DAC you prefer.

DCS deliberately designed the NB to work best with their own 'legacy' DACS (e.g. Debussy & Scarletti). I ran mine into a Chord Dave and found the single AES/SBU interconnect (I used Atlas Mavros) to provide the best solution, which I did like. The RCA SP/DIF output is a disappointment.

It is possible to link the NB and the Dave (or other Chord DACs) with Dual AES into BNC (to simulate a MScaler) with an additional Neutrik converter, but I found that altered the sound - so technically it worked, but didn't add anything.

The Mosaic app and it's integration on to the streamer itself is good, but quite basic. The internet radio aggregator that DCS use does not support FLAC Internet Radio streams, only MP3.

When I heard the Auralic Aries G2.1 side-by-side in my own system with the DCS NB it was a very easy decision to move the NB on to a new (happy) home and buy the Aries G2.1.

That's really very helpful.
I can get a used G2.1 for the same price as a used dCS, the former being a current model means full support, updates, development etc.
Just out of interest, did you audition the G1 as well? Amber Audio feels the actual sq differences between the G1 and G2 are small.

Cheers

Thanks. I'll give the dCS a pass.

I can get a used G2.1 for the same price as a used dCS, the former being a current model means full support, updates, development etc.
Just out of interest, did you audition the G1 as well? Amber Audio feels the actual sq differences between the G1 and G2 are small.

Cheers

I personally don’t think the Aries G2/2.1 is worth the extra over the G1 unless you intend to go Vega G2/2.1 and utilise Lightning Link, I’d put the money into a better DAC, obvs imho.

Cheers

Hi, no I didn't audition the G1 - I note that people on the Auralic boards are very positive about the G1 when the Hoer-Wege replacement power board is installed in the G1. I have a board on order with Stephan HW for the G2.1 which is a bit speculative on my part (there is only a small amount of info., apart from 'positive', on the HW upgrade into the G2.1).

I had a chance to try the Bartok (streamer only mode) against my Aries G2 and the Aries I felt was better, but there was little in it.

Id choose an used Aries G2 over the DCS myself sheerly for the cost saving.

Personally, I did feel the G2 was worth the outlay over a G1, but I was working on used prices - if I was buying new, I may have reconsidered.

Hi, no I didn't audition the G1 - I note that people on the Auralic boards are very positive about the G1 when the Hoer-Wege replacement power board is installed in the G1. I have a board on order with Stephan HW for the G2.1 which is a bit speculative on my part (there is only a small amount of info., apart from 'positive', on the HW upgrade into the G2.1).

What exactly does the upgrade involve? G1 and G2 both have twin power supplies. Does it replace one of them?
Will you be installing it yourself and does it involve soldering?
I ask because there is a modified G1 for sale and I'm trying to figure out just how much tinkering the owner has had to do to install it.
Thanks

There was a modded G1 with the HW PSU on the Wam classifieds a while ago, dunno if it sold.

Thanks for the heads up. I've just checked and it's still for sale, I think a lot of people are wary of buying modified equipment, as am I to some extent.
It's an interesting prospect though....

I had a chance to try the Bartok (streamer only mode) against my Aries G2 and the Aries I felt was better, but there was little in it.

Id choose an used Aries G2 over the DCS myself sheerly for the cost saving.

Personally, I did feel the G2 was worth the outlay over a G1, but I was working on used prices - if I was buying new, I may have reconsidered.

FWIW I tried the Bartok against my Aries G2 and Vega G2 and found the Bartok far better.
Perceptions differ.

FWIW I tried the Bartok against my Aries G2 and Vega G2 and found the Bartok far better.
Perceptions differ.

This comparison was streamer only mode..

As a Stream/Dac combo (Aqua La Voce S3), I'd say the Bartok probably pipped them

What exactly does the upgrade involve? G1 and G2 both have twin power supplies. Does it replace one of them?
Will you be installing it yourself and does it involve soldering?
I ask because there is a modified G1 for sale and I'm trying to figure out just how much tinkering the owner has had to do to install it.
Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I've just checked and it's still for sale, I think a lot of people are wary of buying modified equipment, as am I to some extent.
It's an interesting prospect though....
I think reselling it may be tough - or you'll take a £bath, until it's more widely known or gets bigged up on a forum or preferably a Mag site

I think reselling it may be tough - or you'll take a £bath, until it's more widely known or gets bigged up on a forum or preferably a Mag site

Agree.
I'm trying to figure what is actually involved because I could put it back to standard if I ever decided to move it on.
But honesty is everything to me so I'd have to declare it had once been modified to a prospective buyer which would probably put them off just as much.

I am surprised that one with the HW mod is still for sale.

If I was the owner, I would have just put it back to standard by now, got roughly the same money and then sell on the HW mod separately. Sadly, it wont fit the G2 as I would try to convince the seller to sell me the PSU!

advertisement

Back