advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played these three Giuffre albums in reverse order of “freeness” . The Easy way must be the most intense quiet album ever. Marvellous

I only really know his mid seventies recordings River Chant and Music For People, Birds, Butterflies & Mosquitoes - which I adore. Free but a million miles away from the Coltrane/Impulse school or European free improvisation.

I really need to check out his earlier recordings. As ever, so many records and only so many hours in the day I can spare...

I see he also made a record with Joe McPhee later on. I'd be interested to hear that!

Thank you @poco a poco, this is absolutely gorgeous:

04mBnU9.jpg

Vinyl
+1 for this - playing it now as I wind down after my first day back at work.

R-6186942-1525061644-3603.jpeg.jpg

John C’s Jimmy Giuffre posts had me pull out this one, earlier Giuffre. I always loved the Train and the River on this from when I was young and saw the great photographer Bert Stern’s ‘Jazz on a Summers Day’. Newport Jazz Festival 1958 where his performance version was used as the ‘intro’ music.

John C’s Jimmy Giuffre posts had me pull out this one, earlier Giuffre. I always loved the Train and the River on this from when I was young and saw the great photographer Bert Stern’s ‘Jazz on a Summers Day’. Newport Jazz Festival 1958 where his performance version was used as the ‘intro’ music.

snap :)

065563.jpg

1995 CD reissue. Originally 1976 on Dawn Records.
This has a weird ridiculous underlying (tongue in cheek?) story of a vampire called Harry Lovett, count Spatula, a vampire in a quest for RH negative blood. An imaginative radio series supposedly created by Stu Martin and the Gang of Four.
I take that with a pinch of salt. It’s great ‘free jazz’ performance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back