advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big band Jimmy...loud is best

Screenshot-2022-01-07-at-19-00-35.png
Wow! One of my most durable and favourite of all albums. Bought when I was about 20 in 1965. I was buying everything Jimmy Smith made then and was a lover of particularly the albums with the all-star big bands. The great Lalo Schifrin co-ordinated this one when no-one had really heard of him. I bought two vinyls over the years and the CD - and I'm not done yet! The big- sounding arrangements had a great outdoor sound. I bought this album just before I went on a wild camping holiday in Gleann Einich in the Cairngorms with my best friend in September 1965. We saw only one person in nine days and climbed some pitches and several mountains. On my return, I kept playing "The Cat" as I looked at the agfa slides of the trip and the two seemed to weld together forever. My image, for me anyway, captures that memory, best.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sneachda/7148890031/in/album-72157646210372051/

Last edited:
Well, I've had a few more listens via Qobuz HR streaming and am really enjoying this now. Its a fine jazz trio recording and more in the Bill Evans / Vince Guaraldi mode and less cocktail hour than it presented on first listen. I can imagine coming back to this on a few late nights while enjoying a good single malt.

If @poco a poco finds the pressing and SQ are good I might well order a copy.

OIP.e8WaEd14zMeFaqReD-FQWAHaHa

Continuing the exploration of the jazz critics poll via Qobuz HR stream. Jazz trumpet trio /trumpet & sax quartet pieces with occasional electronics. One track takes a piece by Ryuichi Sakamoto as its starting point. I really enjoyed this: another one to return to.

Bandcamp link ( a day late for Bandcamp Friday)

Visions Of Your Other | Adam O'Farrill (bandcamp.com)
Interestingly, you pay $20 for the very detailed and idiosyncratic artwork and a download code but there's no CD inside as the company run a plastic free label - interesting read here for the eco minded jazz fan

Biophilia Records | Official Website - Biopholio

I can't help thinking how much we'd be talking about this if it had been made by one of the new British jazz groups - it's up there with quite a lot of the recent British jazz we've been getting excited about and enjoying in the last year or so.

a0623070761_16.jpg

:) Here’s hoping. Despite the ‘less than CD’ quality of spotty I do think you can get a clue of the quality of recordings before you buy. Whatever, I loved the African ‘sway’ in this recording.

Have you got it?

Well, I've had a few more listens via Qobuz HR streaming and am really enjoying this now. Its a fine jazz trio recording and more in the Bill Evans / Vince Guaraldi mode and less cocktail hour than it presented on first listen. I can imagine coming back to this on a few late nights while enjoying a good single malt.

If @poco a poco finds the pressing and SQ are good I might well order a copy.

OIP.e8WaEd14zMeFaqReD-FQWAHaHa
Kevin, I was going to give it a couple of plays before coming back to get a better take on the music. I only have played it once so far, but your later impressions here has pretty much preempted mine from my first play through. Bill Evans immediately came to mind from the style and quality of the playing. While this is not in anyway ground breaking the Trio’s Playing is excellent and the interpretations good. I was particularly impressed with Legrand’s ‘What are you doing the rest of your life’. Charlap has really delicate touch at times sort of caressing the keys - quite beautiful. I played this around mid-day, but I think your right it would make a really good late evening wind down session.

No problem with the sound quality. This is possibly among the best digital recordings I have heard. Great dynamics detail that makes you appreciate things like Charlap’s delicacy of touch that I mentioned above or Kenny Washington’s brush playing on snare and cymbals. Tonality is good particularly in the bass and lower mid range that gives a good sense of the whole piano even though closely miked. Good front to back depth. If it lacks anything it maybe the last bit of that and perhaps a little ‘air’ around the instruments compared to the best AAA, but that may be down to the miking. So for me nothing in the recording and LP mastering to worry about. As I said previously I don’t do high quality streaming and I don’t know how good your streaming compares to vinyl so possibly that is good enough and conveys the music well enough. Pressing quality was excellent so I am happy to have it on vinyl for just over £20. If you buy the vinyl let us know how it compares to your stream version.

Sia - Colour The Small One, not played it in ages, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I find it bizarre how utterly massive she got after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back