advertisement

Valves . petrol and fags

Si74

pfm Member
Just looked at replacing the valves in my Pax. Seems Brexit and Covid are a great excuse to shaft us every which way. Classic in the garage dies on E10, not risking it in the daily, tested (if not as new) stash of KT 88's coming out manyana and wondering about hypnosis re the fags? Leaving my son my Sophia Electric 274 B's and other valve Exotica." The auld bstard left me light bulbs". He might be in for a shock when he realizes what they will be worth then.. hopefully a few years away yet but given the state of the NHS, maybe sooner rather than later.

Just don't do all three at the same time. Will you live longer if you give them up? Not necessarily but it will seem like it.

Just looked at replacing the valves in my Pax. Seems Brexit and Covid are a great excuse to shaft us every which way. Classic in the garage dies on E10, not risking it in the daily, tested (if not as new) stash of KT 88's coming out manyana and wondering about hypnosis re the fags? Leaving my son my Sophia Electric 274 B's and other valve Exotica." The auld bstard left me light bulbs". He might be in for a shock when he realizes what they will be worth then.. hopefully a few years away yet but given the state of the NHS, maybe sooner rather than later.
Is a translation available?

People talk of electric cars but the process to mine the contents of those batteries is equally as destructive to the planet but they keep that quiet...

Everything is stupidly expensive now and I totally agree, it just seems that one reason after another flows fom the lips of those in power to justify the daily shaftings we receive. Does make you rather bitter.

People talk of elcetric cars but the process to mine the contents of those batteries is equally as destructive to the planet but they keep that quiet...
Those materials aren't consumed through use of the car, though. When batteries reach end of life, they can be recycled.

Those materials aren't consumed through use of the car, though. When batteries reach end of life, they can be recycled.

They're not, but you need to use electricity to charge the car and that's provided by either a dirty power station or a so called 'clean' nuclear one. Talk to me about storage of spent nuclear rods, I love how they never mention that when talking of clean power. It's all a smoke screen of bs. Anyway, we digress.

Hypnosis help me quit the fags. It takes time and suddenly you are ready to take the step. Did it almost 24 years ago and never turned back. One of the best things I have done...

I knew a chap who was the same, smoked 40 a day for 20 years, tried the hypnosis method and stopped immediately. Quite remarkable.

The best and most defining points in my classic motors (and the new one) are the engines. Removing them for a washing machine motor would ruin the enjoyment of driving and devalue them forever. Electric cars are fine in their own right though hugely environmentally damaging in manufacture. Lithium mining is the third most environmentally damaging process, and the Chinese have nearly all the Neodymium.

The best and most defining points in my classic motors (and the new one) are the engines. Removing them for a washing machine motor would ruin the enjoyment of driving and devalue them forever. Electric cars are fine in their own right though hugely environmentally damaging in manufacture. Lithium mining is the third most environmentally damaging process, and the Chinese have nearly all the Neodymium.

It takes huge amounts of water too by all accounts. I’ve never seen a lithium mine but I live in Somerset and there are loads of quarries here, I’ve cycled around a lot of the active ones and in and around the abandoned ones. I can confirm they are mind boggingly large holes in the earth and the way Chinese industry is I can only begin to imagine the scale of those used for lithium etc. I borrowed an electric car for a day and it was great and fast fun quiet and clean but (a) they are stupidly expensive for one with good range and (b) the aforementioned dark side of their so called clean operation. Would be an interesting comparison to do a study on the impact of building one and running it on electricity vs. a traditional combustion engine. Leccy cars are good but they’re not really the solution long term, no matter what that scruffy Wally Boris would tell you. I hope for my daughters sake we sort things out for future generations. Maybe go back to horses. Surely that would be better and you get a companion too!

That's why we shouldn't be using cars for long journeys.

I think the opposite is true. We can walk or cycle if it’s less than five miles. Then drive if you have to. The fact is most people have to commute to a place of work which is generally quite far away. In my case I drive 80 miles every day.

advertisement

Back