advertisement

System protection from grandkids !

lambo

pfm Member
Hi guys
We are looking after the grandkids who are
3 years old and 18 months old on a regular basis, 3 times a week, now
I have never had a problem with my kids when they were young but I a feel some sort of quick fix before they come would be useful now
Feel free to share your ideas
I need to protect 2 mana racks which are side by side and stand mount speakers
:eek:
Cheers
Tony

Brought up three kids without any damage to the stereo, they didn't touch it. And when our eldest was a toddler the LP12 was on an Audiotech table! Deck on a board sitting on spikes at perfect toddler height.

They're not idiots, they can learn things, so you teach them not to touch the stereo. You stay in the room with them and if they go near it you say 'No' and move them away. You keep doing this, escalating the severity of the warning if they move from ignorance to willful defiance, which they probably will.

Kids are smart and can and will act very differently in different situations. They will test you out, push the boundaries and work out exactly what they can and cannot get away with. Which will be different from what they'll do at home. If you let them away with too much and they cause problems it's entirely your own fault. You're the grown up, you set the rules. If you let children outwit you don't complain about it.

Interestingly, I taught our oldest son not to touch the stereo as soon as he could crawl and never had a problem after that. But I never had to say anything to the next two, they seemed to pick it up by osmosis from their big brother!

When my youngest two (twins) were around 2-3 years, they punctured the tweeters twice on my Naim speakers - it was a “fun” game to take the grills off! When they are a little older they will listen - but the age when everything is worth exploring is not HiFi friendly. I ended up having the system in a different room they couldn’t access.

They're not idiots, they can learn things, so you teach them not to touch the stereo. You stay in the room with them and if they go near it you say 'No' and move them away. You keep doing this, escalating the severity of the warning if they move from ignorance to willful defiance, which they probably will.

Just going through that stage with my puppy :D

It really does depend on what the kids are like and what they’ve been allowed to do. My son knew not to touch and respect but I’ve seen other kids who just go crazy touching everything.

It really does depend on what the kids are like and what they’ve been allowed to do. My son knew not to touch and respect but I’ve seen other kids who just go crazy touching everything.

I thought that too until one of the kids pushed a finger into a tweeter ;)

baby-dan-pejsegitter-configure-xl-flex-sort-90-x-278-cm.jpg

Grilles on the speakers. Pull anything out in the room, ‘in.’

Raised kids and grandkids and they have all responded well to firm instructions.

Main thing is, never leave them alone.

Brought up three kids without any damage to the stereo, they didn't touch it. And when our eldest was a toddler the LP12 was on an Audiotech table! Deck on a board sitting on spikes at perfect toddler height.

Kids are smart and can and will act very differently in different situations. They will test you out, push the boundaries and work out exactly what they can and cannot get away with. Which will be different from what they'll do at home. If you let them away with too much and they cause problems it's entirely your own fault. You're the grown up, you set the rules. If you let children outwit you don't complain about it.

Interestingly, I taught our oldest son not to touch the stereo as soon as he could crawl and never had a problem after that. But I never had to say anything to the next two, they seemed to pick it up by osmosis from their big brother!
You’ve not me my 14 month old nephew… he’s extremely wilful, I’ve had small children around me for years now and I’ve never met one like him, I know he’s only a baby, but he’s wilfully destructive and he’s persistent… that said, his father works a lot and his mother takes no notice of what he’s doing and only takes action when you say something, or take action yourself. She came down to use my landline phone the other day (they only live a few doors away), I went into the kitchen to make a drink, came back into the room when I could hear banging… I’d been out of the room for a couple of minutes, the Christmas tree was in tatters, there was a book on the floor missing several pages and the banging noise was him hitting a Naim remote off the fish tank.

Just going through that stage with my puppy :D

It's exactly the same thing. People with badly behaved dogs blame the dog but it's not the dog's fault. He's just doing what comes naturally and what he's been allowed to do. It's the owner's fault for not training the dog.

News flash. Toddlers are MUCH smarter than a dog! They can learn more and faster.

It's exactly the same thing. People with badly behaved dogs blame the dog but it's not the dog's fault. He's just doing what comes naturally and what he's been allowed to do. It's the owner's fault for not training the dog.

News flash. Toddlers are MUCH smarter than a dog! They can learn more and faster.

Absolutely right - something that works with puppy (and with children) is keep them occupied.
Whenever my puppy shows interest in something that I want to keep in decent condition, I distract her with an alternative toy. This does rely on my not leaving her unattended at the moment - its a phase, she will learn and calm down :)

You’ve not me my 14 month old nephew… he’s extremely wilful, I’ve had small children around me for years now and I’ve never met one like him, I know he’s only a baby, but he’s wilfully destructive and he’s persistent…

Yeah, I think we've all met kids like him. Dad is not around and mother is a fechin idiot! They're going to pay for it in the long run. I've seen it. Once they get to their teens you've in big trouble and it's too late to fix.

Personally, I wouldn't have the kid in the house. I'm not joking. I would say to the mother that it's up to her how she brings up her kids but I've worked hard for the things I have and I'm not going to stand back and watch a spoiled, ill-disciplined child destroy them. I remember we befriended a Nigerian family who had three young boys, the youngest was a baby but the two older boys were a bomb scare. They were in our house once, that was it. Never again.

I've been extremely blunt with people often. It''s better that way. You're not trying to pretend you're ok with things you're not ok with, they know exactly where you stand. It's just better to be honest even if it does cause discord at the time. Which it does. Honesty is just better in the long run and might help the situation.

I let my grandchildren (2+ years old now) play around with my Hifi supervised from around 12 months old, turntable with its cover on obviously and they completely ignore it now.
Grandson likes the feel of the volume and selector knobs on my preamp turning so occasionally gives it a gentle spin and granddaughter poked the centre of the waveguide of my Tannoys, pricked her finger and avoids them completely.

They just don’t take any notice because it’s not off limits, tell them not to touch and they’d be all over it immediately so it’s just a selection of boxes that don’t do much. It was the same with my children although my son did put a dinosaur through both woofers on my Impulse H2’.
I wouldn’t let other children or for that matter most friends of mine near it.

The only damage I had was a poked in Kan tweeter and that was not a small child but a visiting fifteen year old. Didn't know he'd done it until days later when I was listening to music and realized it was out. Then remembered him over at the speaker looking sheepish when he saw me.

My eldest son had his own system, including a turntable, when he was four. I would say that he never damaged it but he did put a crease in a paper speaker cone when he pulled out he headphone jack while the volume was turned up!

advertisement

Back