advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the idea that there would have been fewer excess deaths in the longer term, more in the shorter term. I think you are wrong to say that he has taken the wrong decisions in 2021 -- I could provide a list of right ones if you want.

Apologies for the delayed response. I answered this in post #2314 in discussion with seanm.

As I was saying yesterday, it's looking increasingly the case that prior infection does not hold much protection from Omicron - this will scuttle the 'let it rip in kids' strategy that's been in operation over the past months.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...-covid-reinfections-say-south-african-experts

I hope not, and maybe you're wrong to site reinfection as the threat to The British Way because of this, from the same article,

We believe that vaccines will still, however, protect against severe disease. Vaccines have always held out to protect against serious disease, hospitalisations and death.”

However it's precarious obviously, and I would be pleasantly surprised if we didn't have to put some effective NPIs in place. I suppose a lot depends on when the omicron wave startes to make itself felt, the speed of the booster programme and the timing and seriousness of the 2022 flu epidemic. I'm not sure what's effective and least damaging really in the NPI department, maybe WFH.

Someone posted here I think yesterday saying that the numbers were always high -- well case numbers are going to get much much higher.

I want to say something in passing. If Boris steers Britain through this without the sort of divisive measures which are emerging in Europe -- Greece, Germany, Austria -- then it'll be a jolly good thing IMO, and very much to his credit as a leader.

Testimony on Australia's Covid internment camps.

'Internment camp' is a tasteless and needlessly provocative term for a quarantine facility. That's enough to put me off watching.

Though I'm not a fan of Unherd anyway. It's a catchy name but I'll stick to being a sheeple I guess ;-)

Paul Marshall:
In 2017, Marshall gave funding to a new political news website called UnHerd.
In 2019, Marshall gave £500,000 to the Conservative party.
In 2020/1 Marshall invested, in a personal capacity, £10 million into the political news and opinion channel GB News.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Marshall_(investor)#Political_affiliations

'Internment camp' is a tasteless and needlessly provocative term for a quarantine facility. That's enough to put me off watching.

Though I'm not a fan of Unherd anyway. It's a catchy name but I'll stick to being a sheeple I guess ;-)

Paul Marshall:
In 2017, Marshall gave funding to a new political news website called UnHerd.
In 2019, Marshall gave £500,000 to the Conservative party.
In 2020/1 Marshall invested, in a personal capacity, £10 million into the political news and opinion channel GB News.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Marshall_(investor)#Political_affiliations

A finger pointing at the moon is not the moon. The finger is needed to know where to look for the moon, but if you mistake the finger for the moon itself, you will never know the real moon.

A finger pointing at the moon is not the moon. The finger is needed to know where to look for the moon, but if you mistake the finger for the moon itself, you will never know the real moon.

Then again, if the finger is pointing at the moon but the owner of the finger is shouting EVIL NEW WORLD ORDER DEATH STAR!!!! I'm inclined to disregard them. Especially if they're a GB News funder.

Apologies for the painfully stretched analogy.

None of which is to say there isn't an discussion to be had around civil liberties and Australia's approach to covid. Just that Unherd is unlikely to be a calm objective voice in that discussion.

None of which is to say there isn't an discussion to be had around civil liberties and Australia's approach to covid. Just that Unherd is unlikely to be a calm objective voice in that discussion.

The journalist, I forget his name, sometimes sums up things in a way which betrays a revealing grasp of the fundamentals. He’s potentially a very fine journalist I think. And they get some interesting people.

This week's report

Surveillance indicators suggest that at a national level COVID-19 activity decreased in most
indicators in week 47 of 2021 but remained stable in others. Laboratory indicators suggest that
influenza activity is very low.

Overall COVID-19 case rates decreased in week 47. Case rates decreased in all age groups
and ethnic groups, and in most regions. Overall Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 positivity remained stable
compared to the previous week.

The overall number of reported acute respiratory incidents in the past week decreased in
England compared to the previous week. SARS-CoV-2 was identified in the majority of these.

COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased in week 47. Deaths with COVID-19 decreased in the
most recent week

This week's report

Surveillance indicators suggest that at a national level COVID-19 activity decreased in most
indicators in week 47 of 2021 but remained stable in others. Laboratory indicators suggest that
influenza activity is very low.

Overall COVID-19 case rates decreased in week 47. Case rates decreased in all age groups
and ethnic groups, and in most regions. Overall Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 positivity remained stable
compared to the previous week.

The overall number of reported acute respiratory incidents in the past week decreased in
England compared to the previous week. SARS-CoV-2 was identified in the majority of these.

COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased in week 47. Deaths with COVID-19 decreased in the
most recent week

That's good news. It looks like The British Way is working -- modulo omicron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back