advertisement

Rega P8 vs RP8

Paint on a tonearm alters the physical characteristics so must make some sort of difference to the way it behaves. Whether this is audible or matters very much is another issue. Michell strip all the paint of their TecnoArms, which are just tarted up Regas, shot blast them, drill holes in them, and replace the counterweight with their fancy underslung version. They look rather nice and don't sound too bad, though I've never had an odrinary Rega to compare it with so I can't say it's better or worse. Any how I sold mine and bought an SME instead.

Was the removal of paint a Rega innovation.

I certainly know they were aware of it. I remember reading an interview with Roy Gandy where he mentioned that removing the paint was the only modification that he approved of. Back then the castings were not so clean and and painting the arm was the only cost-effective way to get a cosmetically acceptable finish. He said that this is the main reason the RB1000 sounded better, lack of paint.

I certainly know they were aware of it. I remember reading an interview with Roy Gandy where he mentioned that removing the paint was the only modification that he approved of. Back then the castings were not so clean and and painting the arm was the only cost-effective way to get a cosmetically acceptable finish. He said that this is the main reason the RB1000 sounded better, lack of paint.

I know the Linn Keel and Greenstreet subchassis’ are anodized. Other subchassis are painted, I’m sure there’s a difference depending on the finish.

DimitryZ, unfortunately I am not in a position to tell folks what to do with their gear and whether it is better or not, that is for them to decide. All I would say is that there is a chance that they could invalidate their lifetime warranty if they damage the arm and it needs remedial work as a consequence, best, PD

DimitryZ, unfortunately I am not in a position to tell folks what to do with their gear and whether it is better or not, that is for them to decide. All I would say is that there is a chance that they could invalidate their lifetime warranty if they damage the arm and it needs remedial work as a consequence, best, PD
TY.

I know the Linn Keel and Greenstreet subchassis’ are anodized. Other subchassis are painted, I’m sure there’s a difference depending on the finish.
Some believe there is a clear sound difference depending on the color of the paint. For example, black improves the low frequencies, while silver has a more transparent treble.

Paint on a tonearm alters the physical characteristics so must make some sort of difference to the way it behaves. Whether this is audible or matters very much is another issue. Michell strip all the paint of their TecnoArms, which are just tarted up Regas, shot blast them, drill holes in them, and replace the counterweight with their fancy underslung version. They look rather nice and don't sound too bad, though I've never had an odrinary Rega to compare it with so I can't say it's better or worse. Any how I sold mine and bought an SME instead.
Drilling holes in the arm tube seems like a pretty dumb idea. Makes things worse in every way. But it does create a visually different product that can be sold at markup.

The original castings were a bit rough compared to the ones they use now, what are were on, the third generation? Like everything else, the tech moves on. There will still be blemishes and colour variations in the castings and maybe there simply aren't enough castings that are perfectly clean to use the paint free finish on more arms in the range.

The finger lift was better on the 1st generation arms.

Was the removal of paint a Rega innovation. The RB900 on the p9 was painted IIRC and polishing started with the RB1000. Seem to think people were stripping RB's before the advent RB1000 (and using them on LP12's).

The P25 had an unpainted arm:

maxresdefault.jpg

I only hold the tip so I've never noticed.

The side of my index finger goes up into the crook of the finger lift. The old ones had a smooth, gentle curve; the new ones have a sharper, narrower space.

Stripping the paint off tonearms to improve sound quality. This is something new to me, surely an exercise I wouldn't embark on although I understand it's all personal as Paul Darwin has mentioned. It's a whole lot easier to upgrade the whole turntable than doing modifications that are irreversible. Personally, I wouldn't consider any used gear that has been modified with non-original parts as I prefer all stock and standard. Even some of Naim modifications (Superlink upgrade) which convert the 282 to 252 spec, well, sort of, are reversible.

A long time ago, I did receive a suggestion from my Rega dealer to resolve the issue I had with the Rega P5 when I owned it. The plastic subplatter was somehow in contact with the platter when the thing was in motion, thus causing a minor friction sound when the two were rubbing against each other. The dealer suggested that I use a pen knife to scrape the excess bit of plastic protrusion from the subplatter to resolve the problem. Hah! I did follow his suggestion and it did resolve the issue.

I'm not sure if the current budget Rega decks still use plastic subplatters. I thought of upgrading to one of the metal subplatters at one point of time but that didn't happen, and the P5 is now gone.

Both of yours are the newer style. Look at the P25 upthread for a picture of what the original ones were like.

If you're trying to suggest I'm talking out of my hat, I suggest you look in the mirror. I have an original RB300 and an RB808 within a foot of each other and can make a direct comparison too:

u9lbVIE.jpg

t0utiM5.jpg

Both of yours are the newer style. Look at the P25 upthread for a picture of what the original ones were like.

If you're trying to suggest I'm talking out of my hat, I suggest you look in the mirror. I have an original RB300 and an RB808 within a foot of each other and can make a direct comparison too:

u9lbVIE.jpg

t0utiM5.jpg
I am not trying to suggest anything.

Thank you for an explanation and visual evidence.

advertisement

Back