advertisement

Rega P8 vs RP8

I don’t like either. Skinny may be best but I like chunky turntables. Turntables and their arms should be exotic. As effective as the Rega arm maybe it looks so bl00dy ordinary. Obviously my personal opinion ;)

I have played om the Rp8 with upgraded belts and a rega Exact for about 4 years Now. Coming from P5 the RP8 was and is stunning. With three small boys IT was nice to have the option to ude the lid, and I really liked the simpel look and mountet om the wall it was a beauty. I have played in skeletal mode Now for a White and IT sounded event Better in that way. A Joy to ude also. I bought the P8 3 Days ago with Exact and IT is way Better Sound wice and I like the look also. The Rp8 is still a great tabel but the P8 is way ahead, No doubt.

I don’t like either. Skinny may be best but I like chunky turntables. Turntables and their arms should be exotic. As effective as the Rega arm maybe it looks so bl00dy ordinary. Obviously my personal opinion ;)

Perhaps that's just because it's been around in various forms since 1983? Back then the original RB300 seemed pretty special, especially for the price.

Back then the original RB300 seemed pretty special, especially for the price.

It was and still is. I have a friends LP12 here with a stripped and rewired RB300 on it, it's been playing all night and it's still a properly good arm. Rega should make more arms with no paint on them. Looks and sounds much better.

I expect they would if they could absolutely control the production finish....but paint covers a lot of sins!
Rega arms are so cheap for the quality of bearings and engineering

I expect they would if they could absolutely control the production finish....but paint covers a lot of sins!

I think this was true years ago but the newer castings are a lot better. I think they reserve the bare tube for the top arm because it makes such a big difference. It helps to set the top arm apart. I've had a flock of Rega arms including RB2000, RB3000 and two stripped RB300s and taking the paint off is a big deal.

I think this was true years ago but the newer castings are a lot better. I think they reserve the bare tube for the top arm because it makes such a big difference. It helps to set the top arm apart. I've had a flock of Rega arms including RB2000, RB3000 and two stripped RB300s and taking the paint off is a big deal.
That seems HIGHLY unlikely. Paint is very thin and if it does anything, it adds a tiny bit of damping.

That seems HIGHLY unlikely. Paint is very thin and if it does anything, it adds a tiny bit of damping.

Once you've removed the paint from a couple of arms you'll change your mind. The paint is not that thin but whatever, take it off and the arm sounds more dynamic and lively. Why do you think Rega don't put any paint on their top arms? It sounds better, that's why.

Once you've removed the paint from a couple of arms you'll change your mind. The paint is not that thin but whatever, take it off and the arm sounds more dynamic and lively. Why do you think Rega don't put any paint on their top arms? It sounds better, that's why.
Rega's choices are business related and your choices are in your mind.

Yes I thought of stripping my RB880 ...but the real possibility of damaging it has stopped me

You can do it without taking the arm apart. You can't do as good a job of it as there are areas that you can't really get to but it looks ok. If you take the arm apart you can strip the paint off the yolk as well, purely cosmetic but it does look a lot better I think.

Or you can send the arm to Audio Origami and he'll strip it for you.

You can do it without taking the arm apart. You can't do as good a job of it as there are areas that you can't really get to but it looks ok. If you take the arm apart you can strip the paint off the yolk as well, purely cosmetic but it does look a lot better I think.

Or you can send the arm to Audio Origami and he'll strip it for you.
This is basically crazy telling the susceptible to join in.

If you want your perfectly good arm to be ruined, by all means go in.

Let's have @paul darwin tell us how "benefitial" it is to scrape away at our tone arms.

I'm perfectly capable of deciding what to do with my own arm thank you
Even if I'm "susceptible"

Now where's that blow torch...

If you want your perfectly good arm to be ruined, by all means go in.

Sorry, but you're just talking rubbish. Right now I have a friend's deck sitting here next to mine, it has a stripped and rewired RB300 while I have an RB3000. I know his deck really well as I used to own it. I've had the same OC9 on both decks recently and the bottom line is that his deck sounds fantastic.

I'm not going to waste any more time debating someone who hasn't a clue what they're talking about. There is plenty of information on the suspect for anyone might be interested floating about the net and I don't want to derail this thread further.

Sorry, but you're just talking rubbish. Right now I have a friend's deck sitting here next to mine, it has a stripped and rewired RB300 while I have an RB3000. I know his deck really well as I used to own it. I've had the same OC9 on both decks recently and the bottom line is that his deck sounds fantastic.

I'm not going to waste any more time debating someone who hasn't a clue what they're talking about. There is plenty of information on the suspect for anyone might be interested floating about the net and I don't want to derail this thread further.
My MIT degree says you are FOS.

Paul @paul darwin , please help before these folks damage good arms?

advertisement

Back