advertisement

Anti Woke movement grows

‘Crude racism’ fuelled by Tory rejection of multiculturalism, says Lord Parekh

Parekh was speaking 10 years after David Cameron’s first major speech as prime minister in 2011, in which he denounced multiculturalism. His sentiments were echoed by Angela Merkel and other political leaders at the time, and were a major departure from the new Labour approach to diversity.

When asked if there was a link between politicians’ rejection of multiculturalism and racist abuse of the sort experienced by Rafiq, Parekh said he thought so, but “not a direct link, as I can imagine people being one but not the other. I can easily see how it is easy to slide from one manner of thinking into the other.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tion-multiculturalism-lord-parekh-azeem-rafiq

His sentiments were echoed by Angela Merkel
No matter what she may have said, and in spite of being center-right and pretty much the contrary of woke: by her actions, Angela Merkel effectively championed multiculturalism like no-one else did in the last few decades. Millions of refugees found a home in Germany, while Angela knew from the onset that her moves will cost her a lot of support (and it is one of the reasons why she retires). I have yet to see a young, well educated, big-mouthed, ‘progressive’ leftie achieve anything of the sort.

No matter what she may have said, and in spite of being center-right and pretty much the contrary of woke: by her actions, Angela Merkel effectively championed multiculturalism like no-one else did in the last few decades. Millions of refugees found a home in Germany, while Angela knew from the onset that her moves will cost her a lot of support (and it is one of the reasons why she retires). I have yet to see a young, well educated, big-mouthed, ‘progressive’ leftie achieve anything of the sort.

I wonder what each person who uses the term "multiculturalism" has in mind, exactly. Merkel's acceptance of refugees from Syria was, in my impression, simply humanitarian. If she did say anything against "multiculturalism," I would imagine it was on the lines that a European system of law and civil rights and civil duties must "trump" the customs of alien communities if there is a conflict.

Merkel is playing on a whole different intellectual level to vacuous popularist-right shit such as Johnson, Caneron, May, Trump etc. She managed to grasp two perspectives of this argument in a way we never will in Little Brexitland. Firstly the humanitarian angle, which should be obvious even to those on the right, and secondly that Germany, like so much of the west, has an increasingly ageing population and a massive structural issue when it comes to paying for healthcare and pensions. Her approach to immigration reflects this; she understood Germany needs tax paying workers, and how to get some whilst doing the right thing morally. The UK Tory party is too fuelled up on corruption, tabloid racism and xenophobia to ever grasp this.

"The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, has courted growing anti-immigrant opinion in Germany by claiming the country's attempts to create a multicultural society have "utterly failed".

Speaking to a meeting of young members of her Christian Democratic Union party, Merkel said the idea of people from different cultural backgrounds living happily "side by side" did not work."

Sounds pretty dog whistle racist to me...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-german-multiculturalism-failed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...says-multiculturalism-is-a-sham-a6773111.html

"The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, has courted growing anti-immigrant opinion in Germany by claiming the country's attempts to create a multicultural society have "utterly failed".

Speaking to a meeting of young members of her Christian Democratic Union party, Merkel said the idea of people from different cultural backgrounds living happily "side by side" did not work."

Sounds pretty dog whistle racist to me...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-german-multiculturalism-failed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...says-multiculturalism-is-a-sham-a6773111.html
The Guardian article "is more than 11 years old" and the Independent one is from 2015...

The Guardian article "is more than 11 years old" and the Independent one is from 2015...

Yes because the reference was to the speech from 2010. Merkel took up the same attack on multiculturalism as Cameron. The argument is that this allowed everyday racism to become normalised again and opened the door to what we have seen in the last decade. It's a good line I think

"Parekh was speaking 10 years after David Cameron’s first major speech as prime minister in 2011..."

I think Merkel got it spot on: she accepted the majority of refugees already in Europe or on the way. And at the same time discouraged more from coming.

Perhaps Merkel was simply describing German reality as she sees it. If one is honest, rather than ideological, it is hard to think of a European country in which "multiculturalism" has been a great success. In a sense it has been a success in Israel, but it was multicultural to begin with, with immigrants from all over the world. In the late 19th century mainly from Russia and other parts of eastern Europe, but soon followed by people from western Europe, the middle east and north Africa. There was, of course, the common element of being Jewish, but with vast cultural differences between, say, those from Austria and those from Morocco or Yemen. And even today, one can notice us-and-them attitudes between European and African or Asian Jews. I even once heard a taxi driver, of Iranian descent, railing against Iraqi Jews because he had married one and she was giving him hell.
Multiculturalism is a wonderful ideal, and I'm sure Merkel would have liked to see it work smoothly, but better to describe things as they stand, implying a need to do better, rather than uttering platitudes.
Incidentally, in the Guardian article the reported stated, actually stated as a fact, that in saying what she did Merkel was "courting anti-immigrant feelings." And that is editorialising, rather than reporting.

Isn’t the problem that economic migrants move between areas of unequal economic prospects. Do we need some global ‘levelling up’?

advertisement

Back