advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Hoffman to blame for the takeover, why not the FA. Wasn’t it the FA that deemed the takeover passed the fit and proper test?
According to the Guardian today, he's lost the support of the PL chairmen. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...o-resign-after-newcastle-takeover-controversy
Hoffman, who has been in the job for only 18 months, was the subject of an unofficial vote of confidence by Premier League chairmen last week, with over half calling for his removal. He is set to leave this week with final details being arranged between himself and the league.

He will step down after having become the focus of clubs’ fury over the way the Newcastle deal was approved. Clubs complained they had not been properly consulted over a decision to allow the Saudi sovereign wealth fund to buy the club, having been notified of the outcome by email and only after reports had been published in the media.

Hoffman, 61, wrote the emails and the messages were seen by clubs – particularly those outside the top six – to have been a “final straw” for their trust in the chairman.

But I’d the club is unhappy with the way the takeover was approved, are they going to follow through with their objections and revisit the take over process? Or is this just another PR stunt in which Hoffman is scapegoat?
I think the obvious answer is that the clubs will do whatever they feel is in their own business interest, with precious little thought of football or integrity. :rolleyes:

Interesting article on the Newcastle manager search on the BBC. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59225679
What was causing the delay in deciding on the right candidate? It became known that data was at the heart of Newcastle's managerial decision-making process, something Staveley referenced last week.

"We, and particularly PIF, are very a process-driven organisation. One thing we've learned in football is that things move incredibly quickly," she said in her club interview.

"We met and spoke with Eddie some time ago. We actually discussed his appointment back when Mike [Ashley] was running the club. But we had to do a full search of the marketplace to find the perfect fit and Eddie is the perfect fit. We couldn't have imagined bringing in a better manager, he's so dynamic.

"One of the things when we do a lot of analysis of managers is analytics and data. He scored so highly across all mediums."

I think there could be a bit of Eddie (know)Howe this weekend with a victory for the Geordies against Brentford. Will Amanda turn up, I suppose it will come down to the balance in her equation of how cold and bored am I versus will the money I making from this charade cover my next session of botox.

Stockport County vs Bolton Wanderers last night on BBC2 was one of the best games I've seen as a neutral in donkeys years, it was just superb from start to finish.

But I’d the club is unhappy with the way the takeover was approved, are they going to follow through with their objections and revisit the take over process? Or is this just another PR stunt in which Hoffman is scapegoat?

He looks a scapegoat to me. Apparently, some clubs (especially the big 6) were unhappy they didn't get prior notice of the Newcastle takeover. I'm at a loss to why they should have? The new owners met the Premier League tests and it therefore passes. This is normal commercial business practice.

He looks a scapegoat to me. Apparently, some clubs (especially the big 6) were unhappy they didn't get prior notice of the Newcastle takeover. I'm at a loss to why they should have? The new owners met the Premier League tests and it therefore passes. This is normal commercial business practice.
The ‘big 6’ as they like to be known ( probably really a ‘big 2’ to the unbiased ) would have attempted something else to block the takeover had they been given prior notice. Unfortunately for their vision of a closed ‘competition’ only they can succeed in, any such contravention of the PL rules would have met with a legal challenge the PL would have lost. These jokers have been trying to control PL decisions and it’s a good thing they failed.

I still feel it is too late for Newcastle though, so these tw*ts have sort of won unless EH can pull a miracle out the hat. The FCB neglected every aspect of the football club. It is a huge task and the new owners know nothing about football.

The ‘big 6’ as they like to be known ( probably really a ‘big 2’ to the unbiased ) would have attempted something else to block the takeover had they been given prior notice. Unfortunately for their vision of a closed ‘competition’ only they can succeed in, any such contravention of the PL rules would have met with a legal challenge the PL would have lost. These jokers have been trying to control PL decisions and it’s a good thing they failed.

I still feel it is too late for Newcastle though, so these tw*ts have sort of won unless EH can pull a miracle out the hat. The FCB neglected every aspect of the football club. It is a huge task and the new owners know nothing about football.

Brian, interestingly, Supermac has just suggested that Gary Hoffman was brought in by the Premier League to STOP the Newcastle takeover. If there is any truth in that, it make sense that he went. However, my own view is that he would not have been appointed just for that.

You are bang on about Ashley neglecting Newcastle. I hope Eddie Howe can now quickly turn the ship around and put some points on the table so we are still in touch with 17th place after New Year.

I hear what you say about the new owners inexperience. That's partly why Charnley has been retained. I'm sure they are looking for the right people to help them, but the best people might take 6 months plus to get, not 6 weeks as they've had. Let's hope Eddie can get off the mark with a good win against Brentford on Saturday.

I’m really unhappy with Charnley still being there. He’s a negative influence and needs to go. I know it all happened quickly but this is a role that needed to be corrected early, same as getting rid of Bruce, which should really have been the day after the takeover.

I’m really unhappy with Charnley still being there. He’s a negative influence and needs to go. I know it all happened quickly but this is a role that needed to be corrected early, same as getting rid of Bruce, which should really have been the day after the takeover.

He's useful to the new owners at the moment. He understands the clubs workings and commercial arrangements. There is limited football operations experience on the board at the moment and he knows how the football world operates. Getting rid of Charnley at the moment would be cutting one's nose off to spite one's face. I know he is unpopular and why, but the board are now reviewing all the clubs operations and liabilities. Charnley helps with all that. There is actually some talk he might actually be retained in some capacity.....I don't think that will happen, but we need to remember that Charnley was constrained by Ashley.

Fair enough, Stuart, but what I want to see is a complete clearance of negativity. I’m pretty sure he fits that description. There are other people around who understand how football works.

@Brian - Handover completed, Charnley has now left Newcastle after 22 years. The timing is good for the game tomorrow too. I know lots of fans wanted a clean slate and it seems to be largely complete now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back