advertisement

New Klimax LP12

I think the whole upgrade business is like a subscription. If I pay something to Linn every year, I get everything for free.

Yes a significant extra outlay indeed. That would nearly buy you a new Naim Solstice. That would be interesting to hear to.
I think it is a case of reaching a certain point and enjoying what we have. You already have a cracking LP12.

Personally, I have gone down a bit if a 3rd party route with my upgrades. Currently have Stack Audio Alto sub-chassis, arm-board and cross-brace along with an earlier Stack Audio Ultimate base-board. Karousel bearing, Audio Origami PU7 tonearm with DV20x2L. Soon installing a new Zeus External PSU.
When time comes to change cartridge I will consider DV-XX2L along with the Hans ML.
It should give compare to an Akurate level LP12 very well...

Enjoy your deck

Alun,

Sounds like you and I are in the sweet spot with our LP12's at the moment and its ironic that going up to two Klimax bits like new Radikal - EKOS SE would be more outlay than all our LP12 current spend.
The Karousel upgrade was just plain brilliant though.It's got to be the best VFM upgrade.

I am in a good place as I recently changed speakers to Magneplan 1.7i panels and their sheer transparency
on sources weather radio - CD and vinyl is astonishing.With the LP12 its like a cartridge upgrade as with my old Focals detail was just lost.So the new speakers where like cleaning the windows as an analogy as everything is so much clearer sounding.

BTW on The Wam in the LInn user site a guy reviews the new Radikal 2. He loved it great pics as well with fitting etc.

Alun,

Sounds like you and I are in the sweet spot with our LP12's at the moment and its ironic that going up to two Klimax bits like new Radikal - EKOS SE would be more outlay than all our LP12 current spend.
The Karousel upgrade was just plain brilliant though.It's got to be the best VFM upgrade.

I am in a good place as I recently changed speakers to Magneplan 1.7i panels and their sheer transparency
on sources weather radio - CD and vinyl is astonishing.With the LP12 its like a cartridge upgrade as with my old Focals detail was just lost.So the new speakers where like cleaning the windows as an analogy as everything is so much clearer sounding.

BTW on The Wam in the LInn user site a guy reviews the new Radikal 2. He loved it great pics as well with fitting etc.

Pleased you are enjoying your new speakers. Personally, I am still running a 45 year old pair of Celef Monitors. I did change the tweeter units about 20 years ago and my nephew, a cabinet maker re-veneered them in Oak. They still sound and look very good today. Designed by Stuart Tyler before he formed Proac. I really ought to audition a few alternatives but I would feel reluctant to let the Celef’s go now. They feel part of the family I guess.

I would imagine that the Radikal 2 on a Klimax LP12 would sound fantastic. However even the Akurate Radikal 2 would just about equal what my entire LP12 has cost me to date..

All the best, enjoy the music !

About ten years ago when I was considering blasting more cash into my LP12 I decided to listen to alternatives. I decided that to my ear the Klimax LP12 wasn't particularly good at maintaining speed. I found this effect especially audible on piano music. I thought the Radikal upgrade did not fix this, to my ear, and Urika possibly made it worse, by abandoning the previous religious observance of the carefully-dressed stiff arm cable.

Does the new Radikal attempt to fix this, and if so, how? Does it measure platter speed more frequently than once a revolution? If so, how does it ensure that short wavelength reactive accelerations reach the heavy platter quickly enough rather than stretching the belt and swaying the springs?

Earlier in the thread somebody suggested that the virtue of the LP12 was in its 'engineering'. Its build quality is generally quite nice, but that's not quite the same thing as engineering. There have been many decks before and since 1973 which sought to achieve consistent speed/pitch through engineering methods such as direct drive, high mass, high torque and so on.

It's interesting to contemplate how much speed stability other market offerings get you for the price of a Radikal.

Any LP12 fans heard the new(ish) Thorens TD 1600/1601?

If the Hi-Fi News lab report is anything to go by it offers excellent speed stability (top priority for me).

Does it measure platter speed more frequently than once a revolution? If so, how does it ensure that short wavelength reactive accelerations reach the heavy platter quickly enough rather than stretching the belt and swaying the springs?

There is mention in the blurb regarding: "a digitally managed (FPGA) motor control", though it's not further detailed.

Hypothetically, I wonder if Linn could have made more difference to the speed stability of the LP12 by R&D'ing a £1750 belt, rather than improving the radikal?

Any LP12 fans heard the new(ish) Thorens TD 1600/1601?

If the Hi-Fi News lab report is anything to go by it offers excellent speed stability (top priority for me).

Funny you should mention the 1601, but with it Thorens incorporated something which I suggested and tested on my Sondek ten years ago: the 'Kleat', an inelastic tether to constrain sideways movement of the sub-chassis. This can be achieved with a bit of gaffer tape and thread at the near right corner of a Sondek and in my opinion it transforms speed stability on piano music. Radically.

Thorens%20TD1601%20Platenspeler%20half-automaat

I tried that trick on my LP12, heard no difference in pitch stability but it made the soundstage and dynamics worse.

Funny you should mention the 1601, but with it Thorens incorporated something which I suggested and tested on my Sondek ten years ago: the 'Kleat', an inelastic tether to constrain sideways movement of the sub-chassis. This can be achieved with a bit of gaffer tape and thread at the near right corner of a Sondek and in my opinion it transforms speed stability on piano music. Radically.

I've never owned an LP12 but the Thorens addresses what for me is the biggest problem with a 3-point suspended sub-chassis turntable, viz. poor pitch stability. Question is, does it sound as engaging as an LP12? The price is certainly more reasonable!

I tried that trick on my LP12, heard no difference in pitch stability but it made the soundstage and dynamics worse.

Yes, this was my experience too if the thread was too taut. Too slack didn't work either. There was a happy medium where pianos stayed in tune during sustained notes and dynamics/air were still nice. Angle, fastening and thread material are all critical. It often took several attempts to get the benefit without too many side-effects. Thorens obviously think it's worth a try, and I understand the 1601's kleat is also adjustable.

There are a lot of ungrateful folk out there! Back in the day I reckon most on here would have given anything for a full spec Sondek-Ittok-Asak. Nowadays you can have one that comfortably surpasses that at a very reasonable cost. In fact a basic LP12 bought in the 1980's, with only the reasonably priced improvements retrofitted, probably outperforms the best available at any price from back then. Mine certainly does and what's more I've never had to change turntable. The total cost over the years will have been less than half the current cost of the equivalent now. Remember how much of a faff it is changing the whole record player? A better one is going to be of the order of 20 grand, you lose a load on the old one, have to visit loads of dealers to try everything under consideration, travel loads, waste whole days, and there's always the chance you won't be happy with the new one at the end.

Linn's improvements are always made retrofittable, the price includes installation, and the turntable is effectively serviced free of charge. Mine must be one of the most reliable things I've ever owned and the major components are under the manufacturers warranty 35 years after I first bought it! I've never heard one that didn't offer a clear improvement although the changes, particularly cumulatively, may not be to everyone's taste. Over the years the colouration has been lost, detail hugely improved and the noise floor reduced. I've enjoyed the improvements but feel no pressure to do so and if I stopped tomorrow I would still have a superb system for the rest of my life. I may one day acquire the new power supply, motor and cartridge or I may not. In fact it doesn't really matter if the LP12 is the best available at a certain price, I enjoy it and the performance justifies what I've spent on it. If you have the cash available I would expect the new options to be stunning purchases, if not then file alongside the Ferrari on your wish list. I expect most will be part of the default spec for the well heeled who may never actually get round to appreciating them, but they effectively pay for the R&D that benefits the rest of us.

Remember how much of a faff it is changing the whole record player? A better one is going to be of the order of 20 grand, you lose a load on the old one, have to visit loads of dealers to try everything under consideration, travel loads, waste whole days, and there's always the chance you won't be happy with the new one at the end.
I just looked...the Technics SL-1200 is only £3.5k. Fit and forget. :D

advertisement

Back