advertisement

Multi-purpose TRON thread

Sorry to hear about the issue. GT will sort it asap. Even he cannot factor in a valve failure. It happens, par for the course, will get sorted.
The WE valves are in a league above both EH and EML. They just give the Atlantic a level of performance so much higher; I did say to GT, the amp isnt performing at its best until you drop a set of WE's in. It is not subtle!

Yes I'm sure it will, in fact it would have already were it not for the current situation.
I'm guessing you were on the pre-order list for your WE valves - I haven't been following where they are up to but is there still a waiting list that they are working through?
Did you run your previous valves until they started to go off audibly or was it a desire to try something different?

I was on the WE list from day 1 when they announced they were going to start production again - 3 yrs ago? A long time anyway. I was first in, hence getting them in first batch.
I had EML's all was fine, the Atlantic went back for a few upgrades (without valves) and GT put in a set of EH. I just left them in ! In many ways they are a sweeter sound than the fuller EML's. Having now had the WE's in, the others are kept purely as spares now.

I curretly own an Atlantic 300B (with WE valves) a Seven Linestage (in GT spec) and a Seven phono (in GT spec). I've previously owned the headphone amp - sold as i hardly used it, no reflection on the performance, and also a Convergence stereo amp , again sold on as it didnt get used. Why? The Atlantic !

The Seven / Atlantic has been my reference for many years. I had 2 other full systems elsewhere in my house - since sold - and i've had a plethora of other pre/power and integrated amps in those systems and mixed and match with the "big" system downstairs. It is no accident the Seven / Atlantic remains and is the finest combo I have heard. Speak to the man himself GT. As a user of Tron stuff for the last 10+ yrs, it has my highest recommendation.
I have the Seven Linestage in GT spec too.... good to hear your feedback

What power amp do you use with it at the moment?
I'm using a Leben CS600 with Sophie Electric EL34s fitted, which is actually integrated, but you can run just as a power amp. Stumbled across this combination through experimentation, the Tron is a far superior pre-amp to the Leben, and I like what the valves do in the Leben. At some stage, I m looking to change the Leben for a dedicated power amp. The 8W Atlantic look gorgeous I listen near/midfield, but I assume you will need efficient speakers? Did you ever try them with your Harbeths or always with the Tannoys?

I'm using a Leben CS600 with Sophie Electric EL34s fitted, which is actually integrated, but you can run just as a power amp. Stumbled across this combination through experimentation, the Tron is a far superior pre-amp to the Leben, and I like what the valves do in the Leben. At some stage, I m looking to change the Leben for a dedicated power amp. The 8W Atlantic look gorgeous I listen near/midfield, but I assume you will need efficient speakers? Did you ever try them with your Harbeths or always with the Tannoys?
I remember now - you did say about the Leben. Only ever used the Atlantic with Tannoys. By the same token, it wasn't until the last few weeks that I had paired the Convergence with the Tannoys having always used them with the Harbeths before that, definitely worth having a swap around.

TRON Voyager SET - using EML 20B valves and a single 5Z3 driver
Totally perfect with my Avantgarde Duos - silent with no audible circuit noise - amazingly quiet for a valve amplifier with 104 dB/W speakers
Fabulous sound and exquisite workmanship - worth every penny - this will last my lifetime

ZuWjnI.jpg

Totally perfect with my Avantgarde Duos - silent with no audible circuit noise - amazingly quiet for a valve amplifier with 104 dB/W speakers
Fabulous sound and exquisite workmanship - worth every penny - this will last my lifetime

ZuWjnI.jpg

ZuWjnI.jpg

Am I right I thinking you have quite a Tron collection in addition to this one? (Not that it is not special enough on its own!)

https://flic.kr/ps/3VR2pL

A bit obvious, isn't it! Yes I am enthusiastic about Tron equipment. The understated excellence just appeals to my sense of aesthetic,form and function. As Charlie said, my Discovery amplifier will also last my lifetime. The phono stage is a MM GT. and the line stage is a GT as well, so fortunately I have nowhere else to go.

https://flic.kr/ps/3VR2pL

A bit obvious, isn't it! Yes I am enthusiastic about Tron equipment. The understated excellence just appeals to my sense of aesthetic,form and function. As Charlie said, my Discovery amplifier will also last my lifetime. The phono stage is a MM GT. and the line stage is a GT as well, so fortunately I have nowhere else to go.

Is it OK if I put your images in a post so that they are easier to see?
DSCF1979 by Peter Russell, on Flickr

DSCF1978 by Peter Russell, on Flickr

DSCF1977 by Peter Russell, on Flickr

DSCF1976 by Peter Russell, on Flickr

DSCF1975 by Peter Russell, on Flickr

DSCF1980 by Peter Russell, on Flickr

I'm keen to know more about the Convergence power amps... Do they suit all kinds of music?

Very even-handed to my ears, which is to say that I haven’t found anything that they don’t do well. In that respect I think it fair to say that they are more versatile than the 300B Atlantic pictured above. I have used a Convergence pair with first Harbeth 30.1 and currently Tannoy Legacy Arden, and with both passive and active pre amps. The fact that all of those setups have sounded different suggests to me that they are not imposing much in the way of character of their own.
That said, they are not as matter-of-fact as my Quad 405-2, but in a good way to my tastes.

Very even-handed to my ears, which is to say that I haven’t found anything that they don’t do well. In that respect I think it fair to say that they are more versatile than the 300B Atlantic pictured above. I have used a Convergence pair with first Harbeth 30.1 and currently Tannoy Legacy Arden, and with both passive and active pre amps. The fact that all of those setups have sounded different suggests to me that they are not imposing much in the way of character of their own.
That said, they are not as matter-of-fact as my Quad 405-2, but in a good way to my tastes.

Well I'm sold! Will start saving but hope a second hand one comes up. Do they need or benefit from speaker cables of a certain length? My Naim needs 3.5m length which I find frustrating.

Also are they ok with poorly recorded CDs? Not all my music is "audiophile" and I hope I will still be able to listen to the odd "popular" recording.

Well I'm sold! Will start saving but hope a second hand one comes up. Do they need or benefit from speaker cables of a certain length? My Naim needs 3.5m length which I find frustrating.

Also are they ok with poorly recorded CDs? Not all my music is "audiophile" and I hope I will still be able to listen to the odd "popular" recording.
No speaker cable issues, whatever suits you.
To me they err on the side of kindness when it comes to exposing flaws; not that they gloss over everything but definitely not hyper-analytical or magnifying of shortcomings.

I should also add by way of balance that the pair I have have recently come back from @G T Audio as Graham has remounted the mains transformers. Since new I got more hum from the transformers than I would have liked. As users of many different amps have found, this can be very site-specific, what hums in one system can be silent in another. Anyway, having discussed the issue I was having with GT he came up with a revised mounting method for the transformers which has made a significant and beneficial difference.

advertisement

Back