advertisement

Is HiFi getting better ? Or stagnating?

Hifi Stuff that has changed in the last 40 years:

1. The UK has become a backwater of ignorance and penny-pinching: you may be different, you will undoubtedly think you're different, but the wider buying public is united in wanting something-for-nothing, and doesn't give a damn about Quality, only cheapness and poseur-bait branding.

2. Most of the hifi industry is - directly or indirectly - Chinese now: Chinese owned, Chinese made, Chinese designed, intended primarily for Chinese markets, which are, after-all, by far the biggest and growing all the time. This is true of all luxury goods. All Things, really...

3. The UK is a dumping-ground for B-stock and bad designs: no-one in the industry will admit it - for blindingly-obvious reasons - but it was before Brexit, and now that internal market prices are spiralling due to scarcity of imports and exporters know we have less legislative protection than before, it is even more so. Karmic adjustment: we used to be the ones doing it to our export markets - back when we had export markets...

4. Top Trumps: people buy on numbers they don't understand and which don't matter - the bigger the number, the better The Thing. Tw@s!

5. Online Retail = the death of the demo - people choose a price segment they feel comfortable with, and then buy on looks - cos that's what mummy... er... sorry... wifey will Let them have...

6. Unfixable: popular forum theme - and rightly so - and no doubt mentioned already but I can't be arsed to read the whole thread; SMD is a curse upon mankind, sh*t-on-a-chip even more so. "Meh, just bin it and buy a new one, consumerist drones!"

7. Music as Social Anaesthesia: the big consumers of music are not noddy old gits like us with our 1950s sensibilities - it's people with tinny earplugs trying to cope with the horror and squalor of public transport and the zombie-apocalypse of plague infested meat-roadblocks shuffling around them... This extends somewhat into the predominance of streaming - music has become an increasingly anonymised commodity, we just don't engage with it like we did: 100% brain-off numbness seems to be the aspiration now.
What's really sad is that streaming should have given artists themselves more control and a greater share of the profits, but as usual exploitative mega-corps have gained the upper hand and are cash-raping the music industry to death. Some things never change, eh?

8. Performance: nah, just kidding! Since the demise of leaky PIO caps and drifty carbon comp resistors at the end of the 60s, the tweaks to actual performance have been minor. We all know it in our heart-of-hearts, but we are not here to be objective, we are here to share in the rosy glow of a shared belief system. Long may it continue! Not even being sarky. There's nothing wrong with placebos when they do the job.

I can't respond to your 8 points, as it will require a thesis.

The available mix of hifi keeps changing. For example, Tannoy seems to have disappeared, and Fyne is no producing mid range speakers.
Richer sounds has less stuff available, but has newer brands as well.
The high street has virtually disappeared - except for Richer.

Somethings don't need to improvement, but are discontinued anyway, whilst others do need improvement, and are not replaced.

People have fundamentally different tastes - British audiophiles don't like "bright" , and prefer warm. But I am into bright, almost as far as possible.

B- stock - Richer actually sells new stuff now. Superfi is gone. Tottenham court road sells furniture, but not hifi anymore.
I am not into DACs or DSD, and not even a vinyl lover, so i am perhaps not quite the woke audiophile.

but thanks for your comments, very interesting.

My local dealer, pretty high end, are busier than ever. New tech with installs & multi room is good business if you are good at it.

Are you using the analogue outputs of the Zen (does it have an internal DAC)?

It has a very strange spec:
Analogue Output RCA Analogue up to 24bit/192KHz
https://innuos.com/zen_mini_mk3/

This doesn't make sense. Analogue outputs are normally specified in terms of output voltage, impedance, frequency response and noise.
If looked at it through the eyes of a customer who wants to know what sources the output will support, not today's much rarer one who is interested in how well it does it, then it seems - to me at least - to make perfect sense. It says "use the USB output and an external DAC if you want to convert anything else."

TBH the only items in recent years I've been tempted by happen to be in two recent mag reviews.

1) A simple and inexpensive 'mains dc blocker' with looks conveniently modifyable. :)

2) The new active 'subs' for the LS3/5As. Have a pair which *might* benefit, but not sure.

My local dealer, pretty high end, are busier than ever. New tech with installs & multi room is good business if you are good at it.
My dealer is also EXTREMELY busy selling very hi cost hi end stuff, so much that they don’t really care anymore about a client shopping for an entry level Naim integrated !
Pure class A Luxman and McIntosh amp buyers are hungry for nice and good audio like never before.
Oh, and they also sell a ton of 4" thick platters turntable and giant Wilson Audio speakers.

I don't know about stagnant but as far as I can tell and from a couple of testimonials above the high end is selling well and continues to rise in price and budget gear is less affordable.

Biggest advancement imho has been in the realm of good quality room correction.
However people in hifi circles seem to shun it.
Transformative improvement in sound quality, especially bass response and imaging.

The problem with room correction is it gives the user too many variables. It’s a complete headache for the dealer as customers rarely appreciate how big a job it is to get a system working well.

I once spent the best part of a day tuning a guys system and took it from sounding rough to acceptable. The chap had insisted his speakers had to be positioned either side of a large alcove.
He called the next day to say he wasn’t happy with the sound and so had moved his speakers onto the back wall where they sounded much better.

Well duh!

My dealer is also EXTREMELY busy selling very hi cost hi end stuff, so much that they don’t really care anymore about a client shopping for an entry level Naim integrated !
Pure class A Luxman and McIntosh amp buyers are hungry for nice and good audio like never before.
Oh, and they also sell a ton of 4" thick platters turntable and giant Wilson Audio speakers.
They know their market.

Long waiting lists for a lot of gear apparently

Which ones have you tried?

Lyngdorf, DIRAC, AntiMode Dual Core, Audiovero Acourate (I preferred it over DIRAC), ROON (integrated), Yamaha and Pioneer AVR. All of them are reducing the dynamic, even if you only use them for the bass frequencies only, they also smear the midrange and HF to my ears.

I wonder what high end dealers really think of some of the expensive bling kit they sell today in comparison to stuff they grew up with ?

I once heard an extremely expensive Emm Labs DAC with a massive pair of Martin Logan speakers (can’t remember the amp) but the whole lot with cables was over £60K. It sounded nothing like music and I knew the dealer felt the same - but it’s what some people want and the price / looks were impressive of course.

Accessibility to both the catalogue and affordable quality has taken huge strides. The rest is just for hobbyists to quibble about.
For myself with a foot in both camps. I’m still charmed by vinyl but enjoy getting convenient high quality out of hardware the size of a couple of fag packets and for not a lot more outlay. Staggering advances in the last two decades IMHO.

Interesting experience the other night playing old singles on my trusty Roksan Xerxes.

We played the Who's Happy Jack. Amazing sound. Muscular bass, thunderous drums, dramatic vocals.

I honestly think those mastering engineers knew everything thing about how to make a 3 minute song sound exciting. We put on Brutal by Olivia Rodrigo, it's a good song but had nothing like the sonic impact (I am not talking about the compositions, performance, etc, just the sound).

(Happy Jack on CD sounds quite different).

Tim

The comment about "Happy Jack" made me think of hearing "Won't Get Fooled Again" last night when watching "Endeavour"! Must dig out and play some more Who as I've not done so for ages! 8-]

advertisement

Back