advertisement

Chromecast Audio.... where to next?

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
We all know that the CCA is a huge bargain and the one I use at home into my Soncoz SG1 sounds ace. But, I'm an all digital audiophile right now and looking for more. No particular reason, its just fun to improve as I go and as I can afford.
I'm wondering what the next kinda step up might be? ( just for streaming from the internet - Tidal, etc) Has anyone obtained significantly better sound without spending a fortune? I would like the new device to have Chromecast built in for my lofi tracks but unfussy beyond that.

A usb dac will provide higher quality streaming, eg, schiit modi3 is up to 24/192 (£120), Topping E30 even higher (£150). Whether you will hear a difference or not depends how good the rest of your system is and the quality of the production ...

And after you get a better DAC, maybe a Raspberry Pi with a HAT such as Pi2AES. All in, less than $300, and the sound quality is much better. I would go with the MoOde OS, but that's just my preference, as Volumio and PiCorePlayer are also very popular.

A usb dac will provide higher quality streaming, eg, schiit modi3 is up to 24/192 (£120), Topping E30 even higher (£150). Whether you will hear a difference or not depends how good the rest of your system is and the quality of the production ...

Given the the CCA's digital output is optical i'm not sure that a USB input should be the OP's focus and once you are over £100 this comes into view.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

And after you get a better DAC, maybe a Raspberry Pi with a HAT such as Pi2AES. All in, less than $300, and the sound quality is much better. I would go with the MoOde OS, but that's just my preference, as Volumio and PiCorePlayer are also very popular.

Thank you gents. I dont use the CCA's dac - that's what the Soncoz is for. I've considered the Raspberry pi, but I love the kit and was hoping for a more 'substantial' solution. Has anyone tried the Ifi Zen streamer?

Went from a CCA to Node 2i, in to same DAC (2qute, both via optical). Really was an improvement. Somehow, the Node also brought Spotify SQ closer to that of FLAC rips than the CCA did.

Went from a CCA to Node 2i, in to same DAC (2qute, both via optical). Really was an improvement. Somehow, the Node also brought Spotify SQ closer to that of FLAC rips than the CCA did.
Ah.... thanks FB. This is the sort of stuff I was hoping to read.

I went from CCA to a used Node 100, to see what the improvement would be, but also to get gapless playback. Sounded soft from its own DAC, but loads better via my Beresford SEG or my Quad 99 cdp optical input. Not actually sure it’s that much better though.........

I tried a Node into my Naim nDAC, and it's definitely better than the CCA. But since I don't stream much - I'm mainly LP and CD - it didn't make sense to upgrade the CCA.

Given the the CCA's digital output is optical i'm not sure that a USB input should be the OP's focus and once you are over £100 this comes into view.

There’s no option to use an external DAC on this Yamaha model.

Gary

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
We all know that the CCA is a huge bargain and the one I use at home into my Soncoz SG1 sounds ace. But, I'm an all digital audiophile right now and looking for more. No particular reason, its just fun to improve as I go and as I can afford.
I'm wondering what the next kinda step up might be? ( just for streaming from the internet - Tidal, etc) Has anyone obtained significantly better sound without spending a fortune? I would like the new device to have Chromecast built in for my lofi tracks but unfussy beyond that.

If you're not worried about the gaps between tracks and you don't mind the interface, keep the chromecast and buy a dac. If you don't mind redbook playback, and you're open to vintage hifi, get this

Theta digital DS PRO PRIME DAC | eBay

(When I found the link a thing came up saying he'd take £330)

Apart from gapless and UI, I don't think there is a benefit moving to another streamer.

Your Soncoz SGD1 ( have you bypassed the pre amp?) is significantly better than Schiit or Topping E30, I’ve just gone from CCA to Yamaha WXC 50 big improvement and you get multi room ( even though you might not use it immediately it is useful). About £270 if you shop around. If you use any streamer direct to router rather than Wi-fi SQ improves.

This is where I'm at as well. I absolutely want gapless streaming of local files (or via USB drive) and that's where the CCA obviously fails. I've been using the USB input on my OPPO 103D recently as it can do gapless but I'd prefer not to use my OPPO for this. I've been looking at the Bluesound Node 2i myself and have been giving it some serious consideration. I don't do music over the internet so it would just be for streaming files from a USB drive. Apparently, the Node 2i (and possibly the newer Node) requires that attached USB drives are formatted as FAT32 or NFTS. No exfat support.

Your Soncoz SGD1 ( have you bypassed the pre amp?) is significantly better than Schiit or Topping E30, I’ve just gone from CCA to Yamaha WXC 50 big improvement and you get multi room ( even though you might not use it immediately it is useful). About £270 if you shop around. If you use any streamer direct to router rather than Wi-fi SQ improves.
This is useful. Thank you. I had not really considered the yamaha range.
Yea.... I do love the Soncoz. Its a brill dac and quite the best I've owned. I had no idea that a cabled connection for streaming would be best. I can quite easily achieve this I think.

If you're not worried about the gaps between tracks and you don't mind the interface, keep the chromecast and buy a dac. If you don't mind redbook playback, and you're open to vintage hifi, get this

Theta digital DS PRO PRIME DAC | eBay

(When I found the link a thing came up saying he'd take £330)

Apart from gapless and UI, I don't think there is a benefit moving to another streamer.
Thanks Mand. That's a lovely old thing but my Soncoz, SGD1 has dac duties covered. I was hoping to improve the streaming.... Again, not because it currently sounds crap but because I enjoy the kit and I'm always looking for better sound.

Allo DigiOne Signature is my poison ! (With Shanti PSU) I find it mind blowingly awesome for the money.

I get you don’t want to run a Pi but it’s so good and trouble free.

My problem with the CCA is that it doesn't read files from my NAS. My NAS is Seagate and the Seagate app doesn't have the best interface so I'm looking out for a relatively cheap solution for streaming from my NAS into a Jolida Glass FX DAC.

I've looked around for an android app that could serve my needs but haven't found one that will read from the NAS over WiFi. It's too late to start wiring through the house now.

Allo DigiOne Signature is my poison ! (With Shanti PSU) I find it mind blowingly awesome for the money.

I get you don’t want to run a Pi but it’s so good and trouble free.
Thanks CF. I know the Allo stuff has a great rep..... I might have to look further into this. I'm resistant because its just not my vibe.... I do love sleek hifi boxes

advertisement

Back