advertisement

Chromecast Audio.... where to next?

Ah, good to know. I thought you had to put it to sleep or else it would 'stay awake' all the time. Magic :)
That's a reasonable assumption.:)
I use mine infrequently now so have the blue light set to 'off'.
In the evening I use it via the optical input for the TV and the blue light comes on for about 5 seconds to indicate that I've woken it up.

I went from a CCA to a CXN. I totally disagree with the previous poster. The CXN blows the CCA away. Note that a V1 and V2 CXN have the same spec dual wolfson DACs and sound identical. There are only minor differences between the two. If you shop sensibly you can pick one up cheaply, then if you didn't like it (highly unlikely) you could move it on at no loss.

I've then since moved into a Cambridge 851N which is a huge leap up from the CXN. However, expect to pay c£800 second hand to pick one of these up. There is zero chance of my 851N going anywhere, it is awesome.

Don't quite know why, but that sort of assessment always makes me feel uncomfortable.
Fair enough. The CCA for a low cost entry to streaming is great. But it is not in the same league as a CXN and worlds apart from the 851N I have now. Therefore, I fully stand by my comment.

I think I wanted champagne for the price of lemonade myself. I've had a CCA for years - since well before they were discontinued - and although I've definitely had my money's worth, it's hard to conclude anything other than you get what you pay for. I still think it's the best bang-for-buck audio gadget ever, but there is better out there if you're prepared to pay for it.

I meant to say, the app for the Node 2i is pretty slick. I've yet to try any internet streaming service, and I don't expect to anytime soon, but Radio Paradise works great and the whole user interface experience, based on my experience of navigating and selecting music on my USB drive, is pretty smooth and what you'd expect.

I also remain interested in the the IFI Zen Streamer. Golden sound has published some great measurements that seem to bode well for its sound quality. An update is promised which will add Chromecast functionality. I've contacted IFI to see when the update is due.

You like nice visuals I think you said. The Pi solution is easily hidden, or put it in a case you like? I quite like the old Lloyds building so I’ve mine case-less and alongside a Mr Nixe headphone amp. It has hardly more than the footprint of a beer mat but looks cool and doesn’t sound bad at all ;)

Enormous thanks to everyone who has contributed. Much appreciated.
I need chromecast functionality so I can cast from YouTube music for lofi/chill hop. Ifi tell me that chromecast is two to three months away from their streamer. The blue sound thing doesn't float my boat and I can't bring myself to have a slice of raspberry pi kicking around, so I'm just going to wait a while.

I switched to a Node100, as it was cheap (used), still accepts updates and, most importantly, does gapless ;)

Enormous thanks to everyone who has contributed. Much appreciated.
I need chromecast functionality so I can cast from YouTube music for lofi/chill hop. Ifi tell me that chromecast is two to three months away from their streamer. The blue sound thing doesn't float my boat and I can't bring myself to have a slice of raspberry pi kicking around, so I'm just going to wait a while.

There really is one 'neat' stripped down 'affordable' solution for you I think which includes Chromecasting - it's the Primare NP5!

Better still (for you) it does not come with it's own internal DAC - it requires an external DAC.

It does not come with it's own fancy app like Bluesound - Primare prefer that you use native apps.

Seems like this is a tailor made solution for you in particular

There really is one 'neat' stripped down 'affordable' solution for you I think which includes Chromecasting - it's the Primare NP5!

Better still (for you) it does not come with it's own internal DAC - it requires an external DAC.

It does not come with it's own fancy app like Bluesound - Primare prefer that you use native apps.

Seems like this is a tailor made solution for you in particular
HI BMU. Thanks for this suggestion. The Primare looks really good. From what I can see they have a mk2 due this month so I'm going to wait and see. I see a few discounted ex demo models but not sure until I see what kind of change the new one is.

What did you end up buying ?
Thanks for taking an interest BMU. Nothing yet. I do like the Zen Streamer ...... but they dont seem certain quite when Chromecast will appear and the primare doesn't have MQA pass through which is something I am considering. The Mk2 might well be better in this respect. We will see!!

Thanks for taking an interest BMU. Nothing yet. I do like the Zen Streamer ...... but they dont seem certain quite when Chromecast will appear and the primare doesn't have MQA pass through which is something I am considering. The Mk2 might well be better in this respect. We will see!!

Yes the only difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 Primare is MQA pass-thru <-- so that may fit the bill perfectly especially when it comes to Chrome-casting YouTube.

Just to update everyone who was kind enough to contribute to his thread.......
I eventually succumbed to a new Primare Np5 Prisma on clearance at Nottingham Hifi Centre. Its sleek and well built with the connectivity I need. @beammeup this is all your fault. I don't know how you cope with the guilt!
This time I'm planning on a wired connection to my router......
Next : the kitchen. Then a decent ARC valve pre amp and then a pair of Quad 989. I can't afford to be in a rush. So don't hold your breath. I'm trying to be like @Tony L who talks a patient game........ Then keeps buying stuff!

So far using wireless technology -

1. Tried a Cambridge CXN V2 - bluetooth was clearly inferior, the chromecast function was about the same, but the CCA edged it by going into a better DAC on my Marantz SA14 CD player. Sold the CXN V2

2. Thought hmmm, maybe i shouldn't have sold the Cambridge but maybe i should try something different - bought a sh Bluesound Node 2i. Using the internal DAC and i think the wireless network connection (why didn't i try that on the Cambridge?!) it was about the same as CCA - but again i thought the CCA just edged it. More listening required.

Next steps -
3. I have bought a plug in network extender to try a wired usb connection into the Bluesound

4. I'll try the Bluesound into a good DAC

The CCA still provides a very good/excellent sound to my ears and I don't so far understand why people spend £thousands on dedicated streamers

Well by way of update I have leaped to a Cambridge 851n'
Using wireless network connection and Tidal Connect it is excellent.
I think my streamer is sorted now.

advertisement

Back