advertisement

What to do to get my system sounding better at lower volumes

And if my speakers weren’t so beefy, say my old Heybrook HB2s…………
And if my amp were my old Sugden A48II …..
In other words, step back 20 odd years ……
Sugden A48 mk2 is the way to go ! Problems solved.
This will be a step back for the look but maybe not so much for the sound, unless the transformer is humming.

This is dare i say it where active systems come into their own, i have my settings tweeked for my "relatively " low listening levels,

It used to be called a loudness button - EQ. Haven't seen one recently, but liked mine!

8edcsKI.jpg

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/the-loudness-button/

Get an amp with a variable loudness control. :)

Before my need for more power I used a Crayon CFA1.2 which could be configured for loudspeaker efficiency. This enabled an option to apply a variable “loudness” at two low level points to give a “seamless” transition in sound from quiet to loud. It worked very well and I enjoyed listening at low levels.

Stand-mounts would, i.m.o., be the wrong way to go, as small speakers simply need welly to wake up. My big ESLs are pretty good at lower levels, but of course, don't have the bass that larger floor-mounts are capable of, which muddies the comparative waters somewhat

You have a competent amp, but I don't know your speakers, so maybe it's a synergy problem. I guess larger folded horns might give you the range at lower vol's (impulse/Dali, e.g.) and they don't need space behind if that's relevant to your room dimensions.

Not sure I agree with the tone control advocates here. They went out of fashion, esp. on classier kit, as they came to be considered less that purist; Naim comes to mind as an early instigator. I've not needed or wanted tone controls on my main system since forever, it seems; nor does my current valved pre. consider this facility worthwhile.

Stand-mounts would, i.m.o., be the wrong way to go, as small speakers simply need welly to wake up.

I don’t know about that. My Boenicke W5se’s sound more alive at low levels than my ART Emotion Signatures ever did. And that was using both with the Crayon. True for higher levels with the Boenickes I needed a more powerful amp yet they still sound wonderful at low levels. I now use a Marantz KI-Ruby which gives 200w into 4 ohms as opposed to the Crayons 90w.

Not sure I agree with the tone control advocates here. They went out of fashion, esp. on classier kit, as they came to be considered less that purist; Naim comes to mind as an early instigator. I've not needed or wanted tone controls on my main system since forever, it seems; nor does my current valved pre. consider this facility worthwhile.

Better quality amps will switch the tone controls out of the circuit when they are set to Flat or will provide a Tone Defeat/Source Direct button that does the same job, so signal degradation need not be a concern . Fortunately the Japanese don't share the same, misguided views on tone controls etc that was propagated by western manufacturers in the 80s and has unfortunately pervaded to the present day.

For the OP, however, a variable loudness control would be more effective than tone controls to improve low-level playback as the EQ contouring is automatically set to closely match to what our ears want to hear at a given SPL.

loudness-yamah-ax570_244033.jpg

20842862326_da82e0c27e_o.jpg

From reading around, I am guessing that most people suffer to a certain degree from a similar "problem" whereby you need to turn it up to really enjoy your system.
Any suggestions ?
I have no idea in which direction to go. I would love to be able to listen at lower volume but my system sounds great at let´s say normal listening session loudish but at lower volume it tends to fall apart and ceases to surprise. Please note I am not talking about uncomfortably loud by any stretch of the imagination.
I run vinyl only (LP12, Ittok LVIII, P77), Sugden A21SE, Wd25tex speakers).

Might stand mount speakers help ? ( thinking of building Robert’s AR22 Tribute as I have all the parts bar the wood), or perhaps listen from a more near-field position ? Or use cans ?

Or should I just chalk it up to age and imbibe something nice ? Do all systems need a bit of "encouraging " or is it a case of suck it and see ?

It would help if you could elaborate on the loudness levels you are listening at.
A db app would at least give you an idea.
Loudness buttons etc help at relatively low level listening.

I can say that the older Harbeth speaker (pre SHL5 plus era) and Living Voice speakers work fine at low volume. IMO the newer Harbeth have to be turned louder to have a satisfying sound.

I’d seriously recommend trying a valve power amp or integrated. Your speakers were designed using one and based on a design that would have been too. I own a pair of the WD18s (like Heybrook HB2s) and the only time they really sang properly was on the end of a push-pull kt88 amp. They sound fine but a little lifeless on transistor amps. Being class A I’m guessing your Sugden has quite a high damping factor. Definitely worth a try. The WD amps can be had very reasonably used.

When auditioning Spendor D7.2 floorstanders, they sounded very good at low levels, noticeably more so than any others I can recall, so it is possible.
Try some of the suggestions given and see what, if any, work.

The system in my study is only ever used at low volume so I chose speakers especially to suit. Can highly recommend the ProAc D20R (Well done Stewart Tyler, RIP). The amp is actually a DAC with enough oomph - Chord Hugo TT2 – and has excellent (remote) control at low volume.

They went out of 'fashion' for a number of reasons.

1) They made mince of many 'subjective' opinions spouted in magazines which were based on the specifics of the room acoustics, speakers, and taste of the reviewer.

2) Need to be implimented with care not to do more harm than good.

3) Saves money for a maker to omit them and say it is for 'sound quality' reasons.

advertisement

Back