advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

This is one of the period piece options I was considering. However, to stay entirely "period", I would need to find a 90s CDP or TT, neither of which would be ideal in a bedroom system where I think a streaming solution would be better, but, I could hide an RPi/hat and use it with a Quad 34 instead of a simple passive. I also like the idea for shoving an RPi/hat and pot, in a Quad case from a pre or tuner sold as "for parts".

After a couple of happy years using a passive twixt RPi and Quad 405-2, I have now gone back to using a 34 ... blow me, it sounds better !! - from semi-skimmed to full fat in fact :D

Theta Cobalt 307 DAC. Not a good sonic match with the rest of my stuff. It stayed in the system about two days. Handsome piece of equipment though.

A 30+ year old CD player with little chance of spares. I'm a bear for punishment.

Sony CPD-x7 ESD.

gi.mpl

Theta Cobalt 307 DAC. Not a good sonic match with the rest of my stuff. It stayed in the system about two days. Handsome piece of equipment though.
About twelve years ago my friend and I were messing with old Theta gear as it became cheaper and obsolete (the only way to do it at reasonable cost from the UK). I had tremendous success with a DS Pro Progeny and later a DS Pro Basic 2 (I think?), and an M2Tech HiFace.

My friend tried the Cobalt and we were both aghast at it, it sounded truly like bad digital from the nineties. We thought it must be an outlier in the range, but we never saw much criticism of the product elsewhere.

I don't think it will bed-in.
My initial concern is that it doesn't appear to contain much by way of conductor.....the important bit!

Shots of unterminated ends are nowhere to be seen and the manufacturer doesn't give specs.

Anyone know the AWG?
The original Blue was 21 X 0.3. It was originally just a test cable, a dummy to test the cable extrusion tool for the Black cable. The copper inside was standard hook up wire to keep it cheap, the designer had no intention of seeing it sold as a product.

No idea if the Ultra Blue was changed very much?

The original Blue was 21 X 0.3. It was originally just a test cable, a dummy to test the cable extrusion tool for the Black cable. The copper inside was standard hook up wire to keep it cheap, the designer had no intention of seeing it sold as a product.

No idea if the Ultra Blue was changed very much?

Thanks Alan

I think UB must be quite different as it's very flexible indeed. Either low copper content or many very fine strands.

Oyaide interconnects. Not overly impressed, did a write-up. Hoping they bed in, but not sure that "bedding in" can see that much improvement in interconnects...

Linn LP12 with Ittok

Used to have it with Name ARO, armageddon etc
Got bored (stupid) sold it, bought the Technics (stupid) sent it back, bought the the Rega P10 (idiotic)
Sold it
Bought the LP12 and finally the music returned

Got the Hadcock 228 tonearm today. Love the generously chromed bits and the skeletal design. Pure indulgence: 70’s bling.

Linn LP12 with Ittok

Used to have it with Name ARO, armageddon etc
Got bored (stupid) sold it, bought the Technics (stupid) sent it back, bought the the Rega P10 (idiotic)
Sold it
Bought the LP12 and finally the music returned
Saw this back and forth upgraditis/back to square one (LP12) so many times !

Not sure this counts as hifi - but some brushed effect black vinyl wrap so i can change the colour of the faceplates on two of my mains filter units. It won't improve the sound, but, sod it, it will make me happy.

Not sure this counts as hifi - but some brushed effect black vinyl wrap so i can change the colour of the faceplates on two of my mains filter units. It won't improve the sound, but, sod it, it will make me happy.

Oh you can spin that.

You mean case damping that just happens to look like brushed vinyl wrap ;)

I shall think about that while I try and get these Oyaides burned in. I want my upper range clarity and sparkle back, and these cables have stolen it :(

Just ordered an SVS 1000 Pro subwoofer. Will see how well it works with my Quad ESL 57s.

For my youngest daughter I bought a set of old Dali 3 speakers to complement her Leak Stereo 70 (on loan from me) and her rebranded Lenco B55 turntable - an Expert 5701. The veneer on the Dalis are scratched but the speakers sound as they should in her modest vinyl set-up..

advertisement

Back