advertisement

what really happened during the late 70s early 80s in the hifi press

Eulipion Audio
In Rusholme.
Certainly wasn’t dingy!
It was quite large as hi fi shops went in the day.
I spent many Saturdays hanging out there.
Bought my first LP12 and Naim pre amp there.

Wow that’s right Rusholme! Yeah maybe you are right it wasn’t dingy. After it shut down the chap who owned it opened another shop in a different area called EU2 Audio or something and that wasn’t as nice. The chap who owned it was a nice guy and for me as a teenager it was strange but wonderful world discovering music and music reproduction that I had only previously dreamed of….

Wow that’s right Rusholme! Yeah maybe you are right it wasn’t dingy. After it shut down the chap who owned it opened another shop in a different area called EU2 Audio or something and that wasn’t as nice. The chap who owned it was a nice guy and for me as a teenager it was strange but wonderful world discovering music and music reproduction that I had only previously dreamed of….
Big John opened up a dingy small store in Northenden.
He had an young assistant called Chris.
I helped him decorate it.
I spent many Saturdays in there until he went bust.
Happy days.

I have to put in a word in defence of the hifi scribes, having (very unsuccessfully) dipped a toe in the world of retail and manufacture.

you didn't do that badly, surely? many people spoke highly of your multiway mains filters, I managed to get hold of one second hand (couldn't afford new at the time), and trust my pre-amps and source components to it. It makes a positive difference.

Well for me it was slightly different growing up in the 80/90s I did not rely much on the very skewed hifi mags. But my marketing if you want came from my dad and my brother.
Dad had various Linn set ups nice but maybe too polite? Brother he grew his olive naim kit to a scary level at the time. To this day still not heard anything like his 52sc 135s into active SBLs in a compact bedroom! It was the greatest advertising ever I still think it was a defining set up. He had various CD players a highly modified creek was the keeper. Pink triangle was his prized possession.
When I went for my first starter system I had been spoiled by both brother and dad's system. Back when dealers were decent I spent a morning trying their suggestions for a cheap starter system. Used Rotel 820a, new set of little Tannoy 603 from the dealer and here is where they were amazing let me try a new Rotel cd player well a few until I found the one I liked. Then said here go buy it ex dem or from superfi! They were brutally honest they could match the speakers for price not the cd. End result a great little system and a dealer myself and dad used for years after

Geoff Jeans, writing for Practical Hi-Fi in the early 80s broke cover and said the then new Logic DM101 was far better than the LP12.
Sadly he took his life in the mid 80s, but I always remember him for that brave review.
Geoff was a close personal friend. He was Music Editor at Hi-Fi News & Record Review; never wrote for other magazines as a contracted employee of Link House (in contrast I was a freelance writer apart from a short period when I was employed by Haymarket).

Geoff used a Linn - I should know I helped him maintain it and helped him with cartridge and arm alignment when/if I could. I have to thank him for employing me as a classical reviewer for HFN&RR. I still have a good number of books on Wagner and the sagas he gave me before his sad death - and a number of records, usually with an interesting aside, cartoon or sly remark written on a yellow and black HFN comp slip.

Must be another Geoff then or another writer in Practical Hi-Fi - might you be remembering another freelance writer and HFA in the late Benson era?
DGP

........... And there were plenty of hifi "journalists" who were just shills for Ivor and Julian. Luckily all that is ancient history now, and it's possible to see the wood for the trees.
Which is why to this day I would never contemplate owning any of their kit.

Geoff was a close personal friend. He was Music Editor at Hi-Fi News & Record Review; never wrote for other magazines as a contracted employee of Link House (in contrast I was a freelance writer apart from a short period when I was employed by Haymarket).

Geoff used a Linn - I should know I helped him maintain it and helped him with cartridge and arm alignment when/if I could. I have to thank him for employing me as a classical reviewer for HFN&RR. I still have a good number of books on Wagner and the sagas he gave me before his sad death - and a number of records, usually with an interesting aside, cartoon or sly remark written on a yellow and black HFN comp slip.

Must be another Geoff then or another writer in Practical Hi-Fi - might you be remembering another freelance writer and HFA in the late Benson era?
DGP

Possibly, though I'm certain it was him - it stuck in my mind since to prefer a competitor over the chosen one at that time was quite unusual. Think I have the magazine somewhere so will have a dig around.

I can see it may look that way, but there is more to it.
The particle board plinth carried a thick rigid skin laminate, the forerunner of today's Rega designs.The board was hollowed out in certain places internally to reduce mass.
The platter was chosen for stiffness (and cost of course) and they have always carried excellent arms - R200 was (is) a really nice arm as were all those that followed.
Bearings were always high quality and reliability superb. Moat still work today some 35+ years later.
Very much a less is more philosophy.

The basic early Planar motor units are more capable than most give credit.
I think Regas work better in real rooms than many suspended decks.
I have a concrete suspended floor and my P2 sits on a cabinet with a lot of mass added to the shelf and when I was running a suspended player, still had to tip toe around.
My opinion is that many of the Japanese DDs were good decks with a poor arm

I think Regas work better in real rooms than many suspended decks.
I have a concrete suspended floor and my P2 sits on a cabinet with a lot of mass added to the shelf and when I was running a suspended player, still had to tip toe around.
My opinion is that many of the Japanese DDs were good decks with a poor arm

Yes and if you design a turntable to be light, stiff and resist resonance it's less impacted by feedback, so doesn't need a floating suspension.

The good ones usually try to play fair with manufacturers, so if equipment they receive for review is substandard - sometimes a faulty sample, sometimes bad design that could benefit from their feedback - they won't perform publishing's equivalent of going-in dry, and instead refer back to the maker. That just seems sensible, rather than disingenuous.

Alas, my direct experience on more than one occasion was quite different. A reviewer making basic errors, etc, then reporting the results as being inherent drawbacks/flaws of the product WITHOUT any attempt whatsoever to check with the makers or designers first.

I've also read and documented cases where they publish an article making 'technical' claims actually based on their failings or incompetence.

As documented on some of my web pages.

So the problem has been that what may seem a "good one" to readers wasn't always as "good" as apparent. And, no, in none of the above cases was any full retraction and explanation ever published in the magazine.

In earlier days reviewers *did* talk to designers and makers to check what they'd 'found'. But by the start of the 80s some reviewers had started also taking on 'consultant' work - i.e. doing private pre-reviews - for makers. Sometimes that was useful, but it drifted towards being a 'bung'. Or could be seen as such even when not. Often this wasn't declared, and for all I know the mag editor wasn't told, either.

Frankly, magazine 'reviewing' in that period was often unreliable and the fact glossed over. Makers couldn't afford to expose this at the time because they needed reviews in the magazine. But it was a lottery biased by the opinions/competence of the reviewers. Affected perhaps by if you'd paid the reviewer as a consultant or not.

Makers had to keep quiet because making a fuss would alienate those involved and risk not even getting mentioned in the mags, or criticised for 'subjective' reasons no-one coud argue with.

Barry Fox made a fuss about the 'consultancy' aspect IIRC, but others wanted to dismiss him.

The Flat Earth is a warning from history and it may rear its ugly restrictive head again. There’s a brand new audience of 5G mast burner/antivax/ nativists out there….just need to get them interested in hifi

Was it a problem of enthusiasm becoming evangelism? Or perhaps being too opinionated?

If you really like something then it's natural to be enthusiastic about it, and sharing your experience needn't cause offence

But I imagine that forcing your opinions on people or trying to persuade them is likely to create friction

I doubt the behaviour was deliberate and conscious on the part of many writers/reviwers. More a matter of groupthink taking over or feeling that it *defined* what was 'good' - based mainly on specific kinds of music. And if you didn't, you felt like others who were 'experts' would regard you as being cloth-eared. Which in turn might make it less likely that your views would get published or pass un-attacked.

If your own preferences accorded, fine. But if they didn't...

I was told by a reliable source, an employee of a Linn / Naim dealer that they were not allowed to sell other brands. I believe this to be true as the Linn/Naim dealer opened another shop under a different name to sell other brands, the employee run the other shop.

The Flat Earth is a warning from history and it may rear its ugly restrictive head again. There’s a brand new audience of 5G mast burner/antivax/ nativists out there….just need to get them interested in hifi

I see little difference in the HiFi press now compared to the 1970/80 press. Importers are more important these days with extremely high prices of course:)

I like the flat earth sound, naim amps excluded, for classical music.

I always find thesr conversations bizarre, its as if people were frog marched into stores and told what to buy. I never parted easy with my money. And whatever i bought i loved it.
I started with Comet seperates stuff and when i had more dosh moved onto dedicated hifi stores. What i bought outclassed the comet stuff easily. The stuff i listened to back then that captivated me, still does, and many others, why are 12s and 42.5 35.5 still loved today, cause they were awsome back then and only slightly less awesome today (but cheap as chips). Rega planar 2 awesome for price back then and still great today. Also im a great believer in if its shite it dies if its good it survives.
But to finish as i started nobody forced anyone to buy the stuff, you bought it cause you liked it.... Surely

Also im a great believer in if its shite it dies if its good it survives.

Absolutely. History does tend to sort things nicely as more factors become evident over time e.g. longevity, serviceability, suitability in new contexts etc.

But to finish as i started nobody forced anyone to buy the stuff, you bought it cause you liked it.... Surely

Agreed. As stated I view it all as a fashion/trend. The only problem is like equivalents in the music world there was a tendency to dismiss the past, e.g. when punk/new-wave came along prog was hopelessly unfashionable and scorned. This meant a lot of very good kit was simply overlooked or had no place in the UK fashion bubble. I see similarities between the BADA network, Haymarket, and say the NME. They represented a subset/trend of what was happening right now, but carried little weight beyond that.

Things are now totally different as, like with music, the internet has totally democratised things and placed huge swathes of information at everyone’s fingertips. No one has any power any more and all voices and opinions can be found and heard or ignored to taste. We have moved a very long way in recent decades IMO. I look back at the ‘80s as a dark ages, but not for any sinister conspiracy reasons, just that a real breadth of information was so much harder to obtain. It is fascinating to see how free information and true democracy of ideas has rewritten so many things once stated as absolutes. Sure, there are still people speaking in absolutes and from hymn sheets, but they carry no more weight than those who do not.

More than one dealer at the time told me that people came into the shop *specifically asking to hear/buy* the "One True System". They then got to hear that in a 'single speaker (pair)' dem room because of the mantra that having more speakers upset the sound. Then simply bought the one system they'd heard.

IIRC there was a 40% markup and controlled dealerships. So why argue if the customer was happy?

I look back at the ‘80s as a dark ages, but not for any sinister conspiracy reasons, just that a real breadth of information was so much harder to obtain. It is fascinating to see how free information and true democracy of ideas has rewritten so many things once stated as absolutes. Sure, there are still people speaking in absolutes and from hymn sheets, but they carry no more weight than those who do not.

It wasn't a conspiracy. But I'd say it was an example of what I've come to call 'flocking' by those with parallel (commercial) interests. They all move in a mutually convenient direction because each of them finds it convenient and part of the 'groupthink'. Anyone who goes in a different direction may feel exposed and undermined by the flock.

Hifi is far from being unique in this respect.

advertisement

Back