advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don’t understand is how accurately stating the PM has lied on multiple occasions is somehow a breach of parliamentary protocol yet say Labour MP Tom Watson or Simon Danczuk (can’t remember which, maybe both) incorrectly naming Tory Leon Brittan as a pedophile was fine under ‘parliamentary privilege’. It makes no sense, but I guess it is designed from the ground up not to. There is absolutely no controversy or inaccuracy in calling Boris Johnson a liar. It is a statement of fact.

Every.Single.Day. Boris, Priti, Sajid, Gavin or a.n. other mislead the house. Every day they break parliamentary rules. Every single day they get away with it. The Fourth Estate encourage or at best acquiesce to this. Now should any journalist feel lucky and call them out they could get 14 years. Failed state.

CHAOS

I don’t really know why they’re doing this but I think it could be as simple as believing that this kind of thing is right and good and how could anyone disagree:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rehire-keir-starmer-david-evans-b1889879.html

Isn’t it the case that the people they’re hiring are for the department which investigates complaints against members?

I think that’s what it said when I read about it. So if so, the reason why they’re doing it is probably fairly straightforward - they’re just acting on their tactic (NB - no plural). Crush the left.

How on Earth is Ken Loach ‘patronising’?

He can patronise me anytime...remember reading an interview with another director, whose name I can't recall, saying he would crawl a mile over broken glass to plant a flag in Ken Loach's shit, which I think he meant complimentarily. Several of these are in my all time favourite films - Land and Freedom, Raining Stones, The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Jimmy's Hall, and of course Kes.

He can patronise me anytime...remember reading an interview with another director, whose name I can't recall, saying he would crawl a mile over broken glass to plant a flag in Ken Loach's shit, which I think he meant complimentarily. Several of these are in my all time favourite films - Land and Freedom, Raining Stones, The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Jimmy's Hall, and of course Kes.
And of course Cathy Come Home in 1968 a film about a couple’s decent into poverty because of circumstance, a film that bookends quite nicely with I Daniel Blake in highlighting important social issues.

That the Labour Party is embarrassed by social issues, and their militant moderate supporter deem them ‘patronising’ is a sign of how far to the right the Labour Party has drifted. If the Labour Party doesn’t oppose poverty and food banks what does it oppose? If Labour Party supporters think opposing poverty and food banks is patronising, what do they think is valid?

And of course Cathy Come Home in 1968 a film about a couples decent into poverty because of circumstance, a film that bookends quite nicely with I Daniel Blake in highlighting important social issues.

That the Labour Party is embarrassed by social issues, and their militant moderate supporter deem them ‘patronising’ is a sign of how far to the right the Labour Party has drifted. If the Labour Party doesn’t oppose poverty and food banks what does it oppose? If Labour Party supporters think opposing poverty and food banks is patronising, what do they think is valid?

No surprise. We live in a time where the RNLI are getting abuse for saving lives off our coast.

The reality of that is that we have a significant section of our population who would rather they drowned. What nasty, inward looking country we are and this government is just feeding off it. I often wondered how an earth so many people turned to Hitler in the 30s. I no longer do when you see what your fellow citizens will support or at least not condemn.

It's equally shocking to see nearly half of the US population in denial over an attempt at a right wing coup while the (still) huge levels of racism are attracting more support than ever among what is supposed to be a representative main party?

Is it surprising against this backdrop that individuals campaigning for social justice, greater equality of opportunity and more equitable wealth distribution are now "patronising bores"?

No surprise. We live in a time where the RNLI are getting abuse for saving lives off our coast.

The reality of that is that we have a significant section of our population who would rather they drowned. What nasty, inward looking country we are and this government is just feeding off it. I often wondered how an earth so many people turned to Hitler in the 30s. I no longer do when you see what your fellow citizens will support or at least not condemn.

It's equally shocking to see nearly half of the US population in denial over an attempt at a right wing coup while the (still) huge levels of racism are attracting more support than ever among what is supposed to be a representative main party?

Is it surprising against this backdrop that individuals campaigning for social justice, greater equality of opportunity and more equitable wealth distribution are now "patronising bores"?

It's all part pf the CHAOS/Endarkenment, which is largely driven by social media. Perhaps antisocial media would be a better term.

I often wondered how an earth so many people turned to Hitler in the 30s. I no longer do when you see what your fellow citizens will support or at least not condemn.

Yes, I do believe our slow decent deeper and deeper into right wing ideology provides an illustration of the potential ends of a politics based on hatred of the other.

In post Great War Germany, Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Leibknecht were tortured and assassinated on orders from the centrist SPD for talking about revolution while a few years later, Hitler was given 5 minutes in jail for actually attempting a coup d’etat. Worth comparing with the venom directed at Corbyn by militant moderates with the complicit silence against Tommy Robinson and his ilk

Worth comparing with the venom directed at Corbyn by militant moderates with the complicit silence against Tommy Robinson and his ilk

That was certainly the case within the overall dysfunction, bickering and infighting of the Labour Party, but it exists nowhere else.

I agree with everything you say but I cannot stand Ken Loach, especially his later depictions of the working classes.

That was certainly the case within the overall dysfunction, bickering and infighting of the Labour Party, but it exists nowhere else.
It is certainly the case that Labour has spent more energy and words against Corbyn than the far right, but that does seem a reflection of attitudes in the wider world. Even on pfm, if we took away your own clear and consistent condemnation of Tommy Robinson, I do wonder how the word count against Robinson v Corbyn would stack up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back