advertisement

WHY!!!!!!!!

Who here has never, I mean *never* briefly looked at his cellphone while driving ?

From what I can observe these days, tons of people do this regularly. It's a plague.

Amazing how many people text while driving, terrible. Saw a young women drive into a central bollard recently. I know ‘bikeymike’ reports loads from the vantage of his head cam.

Who here has never, I mean *never* briefly looked at his cellphone while driving ?
I can honestly say I've never once looked at my phone while driving.

Nor me, partly as I don't have one but mainly because I even found my 20+ year old Nokia totally distracting if someone phoned me. I'll go further, inasmuch as I believe even using a hands-free mobile is taking attention away from diligent driving. If my daughter's one is anything to go by, the s/q. is execrable and I simply say that I'll phone her when she gets home. Mind you, I am a bit old and analogue !

On my daily commute on the A2 in and out of London I see many people texting at 50 mph. There’s a tell tale nod as they look up and down. From what I see it appears to be the over 30s that are the worst offenders.

Cheers BB

It’s incredibly common, I see it on the motorway all the time… I drive a van most days and as well as the nod it’s the light shining on their faces from the phone sitting on their knee that gives it away.

I’ll be honest - it’s really unusual to see someone concentrating solely on driving.

It’s probably impracticable but I think the drivers mobile should be inactivated whilst driving. I rarely get phoned whilst driving but just trying to stop to take a call can cause confusion and its certainly a distraction. I take pride in my driving but would mark myself down when that phone rings….

It’s probably impracticable but I think the drivers mobile should be inactivated whilst driving. I rarely get phoned whilst driving but just trying to stop to take a call can cause confusion and its certainly a distraction. I take pride in my driving but would mark myself down when that phone rings….

Apps have been invented that inactivate phones whilst in a car - it’s easy to tell with the data harvesting that you’re on a road, but then there are passengers in the same vehicle (passengers on coaches/buses too etc etc) that should be able to use their phones whilst travelling, that a passcode was thought of to confirm you’re not driving… but too easy to bypass.

If anyone can think of a way to automatically differentiate between the driver and a passenger in the same vehicle that would be the solution..

I can’t think of one, I can only imagine a camera above the windscreen facing the driver, and if it detects that eyeballs aren’t on the road then an interruption buzzer is sounded.. This would be a solution.

Just trying to make it mandatory on all new cars and you’d be away.

Even my dirt cheap car links to my phone by Bluetooth so I can receive a call without taking my hands off the wheel or eyes off the road.

advertisement

Back