advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cummings, the genius behind the Brexit victory: “No-one on Earth” knows whether Brexit was a good idea for Britain”.

…smell the Bregret. Next comes the finger pointing and mutual recriminations.

You seem to be a little remiss on contemporary politics: membership of the ECC rumbled in the background during Ted Heaths premiership; Thatchers objections to increasing political union brought her down; our expulsion from ERM did for Major. The Blair years were more pro-EU but the arguments against a supranational bureaucracy continued nevertheless so yes the debate around the UKs place in Europe has been around for half a century or so.

Interesting that on the link below on the subject of the NIP, the BBC refers to goods being sent to NI as being 'exported'.

Could this be a case of unconscious bias, or is it deliberate (ie straight, unadorned bias)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57911148.amp
I think the Northern Ireland fiasco has just been overtaken by something much much bigger. Cummings, crawling into the ear of the public and whispering softly, they’ve been had. Not once but twice, Johnson and Brexit.

I think the Northern Ireland fiasco has just been overtaken by something much much bigger. Cummings, crawling into the ear of the public and whispering softly, they’ve been had. Not once but twice, Johnson and Brexit.
This, it seems to me, is Phase Two of Cummings’ plan to ‘break things’.

Yes. He does seem quite the iconoclast - wields power simply because he likes doing so, with little regard for the consequences.
I think there's more to it than that. He clearly has a very high regard for his own intelligence. He seems to believe that only he has the answers, and that the system needs to be torn down and rebuilt (presumably, to his model, with him having access to the blueprints and much of the machinery).

Phase one, Brexit, was undermining the foundations. He's now pushing at the highest bits of structure to topple them, and hoping they'll take down some other bits as they fall. This is Phase Two. And the BBC remains complicit, as it was for Phase One.

I think there's more to it than that. He clearly has a very high regard for his own intelligence. He seems to believe that only he has the answers, and that the system needs to be torn down and rebuilt (presumably, to his model, with him having access to the blueprints and much of the machinery).

Phase one, Brexit, was undermining the foundations. He's now pushing at the highest bits of structure to topple them, and hoping they'll take down some other bits as they fall. This is Phase Two. And the BBC remains complicit, as it was for Phase One.
You mean, you mean......the whole government is made of Mana?????

Raab gets tough:

https://www.politico.eu/article/eur...raft-mandate-for-post-brexit-gibraltar-talks/

Frosty gets tough:

"UK to make Northern Ireland protocol ultimatum" (Telegraph).

Express going on about "Brexit masterplan."
I read that as Telegraph makes ultimatum. It’s a tough one- do the Tories economically damage their heartlands through breaking the treaty with Brussels or do they sell Northern Ireland ( majority pro-EU, soon majority Nationalist) down the river?

I read that as Telegraph makes ultimatum. It’s a tough one- do the Tories economically damage their heartlands through breaking the treaty with Brussels or do they sell Northern Ireland ( majority pro-EU, soon majority Nationalist) down the river?

Maybe the stand-down Brexiteers on this forum can provide an answer.

From the FT today:

“Johnson said that all GB-made goods should be able to go into Northern Ireland without checks,” said one EU official.

Frost’s proposals are expected to include an “honesty box” approach, where companies that said their goods were destined only for sale and use in Northern Ireland should be exempted from checks on the Irish Sea border."

Britain also wants Brussels to agree to a dual-standards regime that would allow goods that conform to UK rules to circulate freely in Northern Ireland alongside EU-compliant products, so long as they were labelled as only for use in the region, according to people with knowledge of the proposals.

Another strand of the proposals is expected to seek to remove any role for the European Commission or the European Court of Justice in the operation of the Northern Ireland protocol.

The UK is also expected to argue the threshold to trigger the protocol’s Article 16 override mechanism has already been reached because of the impact on trade."

Liam, where are you?

If one were inclined to offload an area that was troublesome in terms of being economically disadvantaged and politically 'difficult' - might be a good time to start the process.

I certainly get the tearing stuff apart piece - what I'm not sure about is whether he actually has the desire (or indeed the ability) to put something else workable in place. Its a bit like me and motorbikes - I'm quite good at recognising issues and taking the things apart, but not always the best then at putting them back together in a way that works properly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back