advertisement

People getting arsey in audio threads

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
Amuses me no end. Partly because, well, it's just boxes and wires, and partly because all the contentious stuff flies over my head because I don't understand the first thing about circuit boards, so have no idea who is in the right and who is in the wrong. (All parties seem very sure that their opinion is the correct one though).

(Mods pls delete if too contentious/dull)

Amuses me no end. Partly because, well, it's just boxes and wires, and partly because all the contentious stuff flies over my head because I don't understand the first thing about circuit boards, so have no idea who is in the right and who is in the wrong. (All parties seem very sure that their opinion is the correct one though).

Human (or more specifically, middle aged> bloke) nature, go sit in any old drinker’s pub on an evening, you’ll hear grown men bicker about just about anything… I remember a few years ago listening to a highly vocal debate about who was more talented out of Barbra Streisand, David Bowie or Neil Young, blokes in their late 60s/early 70s properly raising their voices (yes really). Now consider how many of these types of people there are out there that have internet access, it’s inevitable.:D

I once witnessed a fight (well, mostly a lot of pushing and shoving, some punches were swung but missed) between two pissed-up middle-aged men over the contentious issue of whether university librarians should also manage university computer systems. A younger colleague literally wet herself laughing at the spectacle.

I once witnessed a fight (well, mostly a lot of pushing and shoving, some punches were swung but missed) between two pissed-up middle-aged men over the contentious issue of whether university librarians should also manage university computer systems. A younger colleague literally wet herself laughing at the spectacle.
You get my point entirely then! :D

Yeah, but at least we got to see two middle-aged blokes make themselves look ridiculous! In forum-land there's no actual fights. I suggest trial by combat as a means of settling such issues as analogue vs digital, Class A vs Class D, valve vs solid-state and DSP vs big panels stuck on the walls.

Yes they can get quite angry, derisory, and abusive, from behind the safety of their devices.
If someone disagrees with their opinions, they’ll quickly resort to a personal assault, with no evidence of ever hearing the product they are criticising.
They just know!

No doubt resolved when the librarian went off for one of his scheduled twice daily tea-breaks, and by the time he got back the IT guy had gone off to fix a server somewhere. The answer, btw, is no, not under any circumstances.

Hi fi is ultimately a collection of electronic engineering with added mechanical and acoustic engineering here and there to add to the fun. It is by nature highly technical once you get beyond the purely subjective and "I see 'Acme' have a new model out" or what do you think of the styling of this....

There are maybe a dozen or so regular posters here who are genuine experts. Professionals, and a few who are such experienced and knowledgeable amateurs that they could be pro's.

We have such things as the 5G and anti-vaxxer conspiracies because loads of people who don't know their arse from their elbow on either mobile phone transmission technology or virology and medicine are allowed just as much of a vociferous opinion, on countless platforms, as actual mobile phone experts and real doctors.... but vastly outnumber them and tend to shout louder and ten times as often.... It's "the democracy of the internet"... for better or worse!

Bones of contention are everywhere; I remember ripping the piss out of a bunch of bikers at a club show many years ago. They'd turned up to represent a local Harley owners club, except none of them had turned up on a motorcycle, turns out that they didn't have a working bike between them. At least they''d turned up, but still...

I suspect the monstrousy priced class D amp featured in a nearby thread will stir enough controversy to keep you amused; Given that it appears to have been designed more for the looks than the performance, I certainly hope so.

Bones of contention are everywhere; I remember ripping the piss out of a bunch of bikers at a club show many years ago. They'd turned up to represent a local Harley owners club, except none of them had turned up on a motorcycle, turns out that they didn't have a working bike between them. At least they''d turned up, but still...

I suspect the monstrousy priced class D amp featured in a nearby thread will stir enough controversy to keep you amused; Given that it appears to have been designed more for the looks than the performance, I certainly hope so.

Oi! Class D rules! :p:D

I like to call it 'the bravery of being out of range' , there's folks who from the safety of their own home will be aggressive, abusive , argumentative and just plain opinionated, how quick they would be to behave like this in person remains to be seen, my guess is they'd keep their mouth's shut.
Added to that we have the 'grumpy old men' and those who view life and all that's in it from a negative perspective.

Hi fi is ultimately a collection of electronic engineering with added mechanical and acoustic engineering here and there to add to the fun. It is by nature highly technical once you get beyond the purely subjective and "I see 'Acme' have a new model out" or what do you think of the styling of this....

There are maybe a dozen or so regular posters here who are genuine experts. Professionals, and a few who are such experienced and knowledgeable amateurs that they could be pro's.

But not all these 'professionals' agree on electronics engineering and design? And some favour different topologies?
I've certainly noticed a couple of the regular 'experts' or 'professionals ' disagree quite alot.
I know that with all mechanical engineering perfection does not exist and that every turntable or engine is a series of solutions and compromises, so there is no right or wrong just different solutions to solve a problem or achieve a 'goal' all of which make some compromise.
I assume amplifier design or any form of electronic engineering is much they same?
The other thing worth remembering is that an individual doesn't need to have any knowledge whatsoever to make a purchase, they just need money. After that it's for the individual to decide whether they like this or that, so totally subjective, one man's meat is another's Poison.

Interesting that that discussion has been going on in other Unis. My wife was stuffed by that same “merging of IT & Library departments”. She was the IT Director……….she lost, and is still pi$$ed about it.

....and when we tire of all this, there is the heady mix of electric cars, bicycles, toasters, coffee machines and watches to get annoyed about. What's not to like.....?

The issue of the art of disagreeing is close to my heart. I used to listen to Radio 5 phone-ins but pretty much disengaged with the media during the Brexit debate. People would just phone in and rant and be so angry, nobody listened to each other. I read recently (something like) the art of listening is to talk to someone who has a different view to you, think about what they have said and try to build on their argument in an imaginative way so you could at least in part agree with it. Not always possible to achieve of course, but something that's interesting to do. That's the whole idea I believe.

Holding different views is absolutely fine (obviously excluding hate !), but anger is just irrational, especially when we're into things that aren't really arguing about in the first place,

Getting arsy on Hi Fi Forums takes this to a whole other level of daftness. If you are someone who does it, have a big think ! Or read The Chimp Paradox by Dr. Stephen Peters if you want a lot of good stuff to really think about.

Honestly, posts like this make me really angry…

Human (or more specifically, middle aged> bloke) nature, go sit in any old drinker’s pub on an evening, you’ll hear grown men bicker about just about anything… I remember a few years ago listening to a highly vocal debate about who was more talented out of Barbra Streisand, David Bowie or Neil Young, blokes in their late 60s/early 70s properly raising their voices (yes really). Now consider how many of these types of people there are out there that have internet access, it’s inevitable.:D

How absolutely stupid, IT'S OBVIOUSLY BOWIE FFS!!!!! :D

advertisement

Back