advertisement

Should we wait for "Spotify Hifi" rollout before planning any upgrades involving streamers?

Vaibhav

Listening music for inner peace.
Hello Fellow PFMers,
Hope you are doing fine in these delicate times. The announcement of Spotify HiFI made me wonder if the current Spotify Connect will support HiFi? or it needs upgrades ? Anyone here can help ? There are so many streamers which have the current implementation for spotify connect, I dont think all are being updated/maintained by the OEMs.

Hello Fellow PFMers,
Hope you are doing fine in these delicate times. The announcement of Spotify HiFI made me wonder if the current Spotify Connect will support HiFi? or it needs upgrades ? Anyone here can help ? There are so many streamers which have the current implementation for spotify connect, I dont think all are being updated/maintained by the OEMs.
Hi!
Unfortunately your question has no answer until/unless Spotify HiFi becomes a reality.

FWIW, Spotify connect is usually implemented via the unofficial, open-source "librespot" library. So not much work for the individual manufacturers to keep it updated. If the code breaks for one, it will break for all of them. Some of the larger manufacturers may have an agreement with Spotify and use officially supported code, but I'm not aware of which ones.

Thanks for the insight HeckyMan,
I am afraid this might go beyond the software bit. The file size during streaming will get considerably bigger, which will require fair amount of memory for caching, buffering and decoding.
Do you reckon new purchases should be paused for sometime to save ourselves from repenting later on...

Hello Fellow PFMers,

Your question is impossible to answer as this service from Spotify does not exist at present. You are purely speculating. Wait & see, is my advice.

I see, Apologies for the confusing statements on my part.

Let me clarify intention for the post. I was trying here to understand implications the streaming platform as I am considering to buy an integrated streamer/amp and I wonder if I should wait for the streaming HiFi service to roll out or simply go ahead.

Kind Regards,
Vaibhav Chawla

Everyone else having already established that this is all speculation, I would speculate that devices that use officially licensed Spotify Connect will work out of the box. You really don't need that much more space to buffer larger files. The devices may need a firmware update as, presumably, the SC software on the device will need to be updated to support the new setting. So, be sure that it's a company that is likely to update regularly and/or that the device is not older than a year or two. Devices from larger companies like Cambridge Audio, Bluesound, NAD, etc. probably all fall in this category.

Devices that depend on Librespot won't work right away. Librespot works by reverse-engineering the SC protocol, so the developers are going to have to wait until the update rolls out, then they'll need to figure out what the changes were, then implement them, then test them, then release them. Then the device manufacturers will have to incorporate the updates into their software/firmware releases. It'll happen eventually but it'll take longer, unless there is some possibility for Spotify to block Librespot from achieving that (doubtful). Devices from smaller companies will fall into this category. I know my SOtM sMS-200 uses Librespot, and any Raspberry Pi-based solution will use it as well.

Really old devices can just forget about hi-res compatibility since they depend on older software called libspotify. No way that I know of to tell which software a device uses but anything older than 7-8 years IIRC is probably on libspotify.

It's a good question, Vaibhav. This software dependency aspect is exactly why (apart from value for money) I went for a Mac mini M1 and not some kind of hifi company device. The new mini sounds better than the older ones and better than many streamers. It even has a half decent DAC inside the headphone jack and is virtually silent in operation. It won't suit everyone (no built-in amp!) but I thought it was worth a mention...

Thank you for your revert, I have updated the title for more clarity. May be this helps others who are about to pull trigger in the recent future involving streamers inbuilt/or dedicated.

Probably the cheapest way to protect from obselecence would be a Raspberry Pi solution. The premium manufacturers such as Naim will be all over this and are sure to offer support at the earliest opportunity, or face significant reputational damage. They would also have customers deferring purchases which they won't want.

Probably the cheapest way to protect from obselecence would be a Raspberry Pi solution. The premium manufacturers such as Naim will be all over this and are sure to offer support at the earliest opportunity, or face significant reputational damage. They would also have customers deferring purchases which they won't want.

That's assuming that Librespot will definitely be compatible with hi-res.

I see, Apologies for the confusing statements on my part.

Let me clarify intention for the post. I was trying here to understand implications the streaming platform as I am considering to buy an integrated streamer/amp and I wonder if I should wait for the streaming HiFi service to roll out or simply go ahead.

Kind Regards,
Vaibhav Chawla
Don’t buy an integrated streamer/amp. Buy a good quality integrated amp that will last a long time. Then buy a tiny streamer to hide behind it or in a cabinet if you want the uncluttered look. Replace it as necessary in the coming years without having to dump the amp.

Don’t buy an integrated streamer/amp. Buy a good quality integrated amp that will last a long time. Then buy a tiny streamer to hide behind it or in a cabinet if you want the uncluttered look. Replace it as necessary in the coming years without having to dump the amp.

+1. Even the cheapest Pi streamers give excellent results with an easy upgrade path.

I do get your point. Till now I have been considering H390 to keep it simple, I have somehow developed aversion to the idea of constantly be on a look out for upgrade interconnects etc. I was thinking If H390 is the best I can afford so be it and no looking back. I had very good experience with Hegel in the past, I dont want to spend this much time and fortune to play with expensive interconnects. 2 boxes are still acceptable ( Streamer + DAC/AMP ). I am not being dismissive I still doing the ground work to make a informed decision.

After your comment I just started exploring Volumio as a viable option, since it is being maintained actively, I am not sure about the DAC/AMP to pair with it yet which can better Hegel H390. I am still new and exploring this option.

I’m tempted by all-in-one solutions from respected players too. Given streaming is, relatively new, I’d be reassured if the streaming module wasn’t built into the main board. I don’t know if this is practised?
Moode is another small player that is actively supported BTW.

If the amp has just a DAC section inside and no streamer it seems like a reasonable compromise to me. A DAC has a very well defined function and doesn’t tend to evolve over time. On the other hand a full integrated streamer needs to be able to adapt to new streaming services, wifi protocols, can require firmware updates for functionality and/or security, and is more likely to turn into a brick if the manufacturer stops supporting it or goes out of business. This is especially true if it is designed like a computer and the same processor/boards are driving the display, DAC, streamer, network stack, input selector, etc.

An ideal two box solution IMO would be a nice integrated amp or power amp with a good stand alone streamer or streamer/preamp. Lots of people mention the Bluesound Node -- at $500 or so you could pair that with a nice integrated and still keep things very simple.

I’m tempted by all-in-one solutions from respected players too. Given streaming is, relatively new, I’d be reassured if the streaming module wasn’t built into the main board. I don’t know if this is practised?
Moode is another small player that is actively supported BTW.
I much prefer moOde over Volumio. LMS / Picoreplayer is great too, but harder to set up.

advertisement

Back