advertisement

Hp Printer App

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
Has anyone had any use of the Hp Smart app? I've been trying to use it for two days now and it's like going round in circles getting nowhere.
It keeps wanting to sign in then crashes or hangs.
Judging by the feedback on the app, 9 out of 10 responders are having a similar experience in saying that it is a useless waste of time.
It makes my printer / scanner look like a third world device without the app facilities.
It's not what I would expect from a top company.

I have it on my iPad, I’m not the best with Apps but it works fine (works on iPhone too).

My guess and thats all it is is that the app calls home to the HP servers so if anything goes wrong with those you are screwed. I wouldn't use such an app for security reasons - who knows what private data of yours they are mining?

Better to use your computer to serve the printer and keep your private info private.

Cheers,

DV

I use the HP universal print driver to print wirelessly from all my laptops/computer to a networked HP printer.
I haven’t managed to print from the phone app.

Pete

P.S. further to previous post I now remember there was some difficulty setting it up, my printer was pre-owned and it seemed to be linked to the previous owner’s network, it took me a while to get round this and I can’t remember what was involved. Not a fat lot of use I’m afraid, just mentioning it in case yours is similar.

it works fine
It works on my ipad OK but not on my Android v10 phone.
On more updated versions a sign-in is required to use the app and that's when it crashes and is not useable.
I'm not alone, judging from other user's experiences.
As DV says I'm not liking the way HP are going here, in more ways than one.

It works on my ipad OK but not on my Android v10 phone.
On more updated versions a sign-in is required to use the app and that's when it crashes and is not useable.
I'm not alone, judging from other user's experiences.
As DV says I'm not liking the way HP are going here, in more ways than one.
Ah, OK.We do have any Android devices.

edit: I mean to say we don’t have any Android

Last edited:
I have to reinstall the driver on my hp every time I want to print. I do mean every time. If I print at 10:30 for example , I install, if I want to print at 10:45 I have to install. I've used hp for over 20 years with no problems, never again.

I don't print very often from my phone to my HP printer - but from memory it has been a bit hit and miss, usually the printer has been asleep and needs a poke to wake it up. I have never had to reinstall the app.

Earlier this year I bought my first printer in about ten years. Hate the things. But I needed to print docs for family legal stuff, so bought an HP, small form factor, will print direct from phone via Bluetooth, or WiFi and email etc. Battery or mains.

Faultless. I won’t use it for photos, but I’m impressed. Ok £230 is a lot for what I’m using it for, but it just works, and Covid seemed to deplete stocks of cheaper printers. iPhone app, or using direct print from the doc, or MacBook, it all just works.

And I bet I’ll get home and it won’t!

We got the £50 job so Mrs can print her Vinted address labels and other sundry items. She prints from her phone and it seems fine. It very occasionally won't wake up but I remember ISD's advice from work so I unplug and reconnect, which seems to sort it.

I gave up on HP printers long ago - all the people I know, family, friends did too.

Buying anything HP (top company, really?) is calling for trouble in my experience: noisy laptops with broken hinges, bad motherboards... defunct fairly recent printers, you name it.
Software no better!

Really. Finish up your cartridges and bin it.

At work and at home we have reliable Canon printers and Xerox machines, plus an antique 1994 network Laserwriter!

HP software is an effin' nightmare. I bought a cheap WiFi LaserJet for the house (less than £99 if I remember rightly), and until I deleted all aspects of HP Smart, I had no end of connection problems. 'Out of paper'? Er, no. 'Low on toner'. Er, no.
Just install the vanilla W10 drivers and it's fine. The iPhone finds it too.

At work we use the big HP MFP's and some small desk top ones, we have several hundred and don't get many problems.
Moral, don't buy from the cheap end.

Pete

At work we use the big HP MFP's and some small desk top ones, we have several hundred and don't get many problems.
Moral, don't buy from the cheap end.

Pete
Exactly. The pro side is fine - we have also had many reliable desktops at work over the years.

no individual printers at work any more, and two corporate print/scan/copy devices. We did buy 100s of HP printers with very few problems, Epson and Canon were not robust enough to handle to the rigours of everyday life. At home i have had Epson (never again a printer, but my scanner is exceptionally reliable) and HP - very reliable.

I have two HP Pro MFD at home and the machines are fine but they are finicky via the app. Messed around a bit but now all works fine including from phones/iPads etc. Use scanning to network and to email regularly as well as printing tasks.

Will only buy Canon for the quality of the prints from direct printing but not as a general use machine, way too flakey. Not tried Epson for over 20 years.

advertisement

Back