advertisement

Hp Printer App

I gave up on HP printers long ago - all the people I know, family, friends did too.

Buying anything HP (top company, really?) is calling for trouble in my experience: noisy laptops with broken hinges, bad motherboards... defunct fairly recent printers, you name it.
Software no better!

Really. Finish up your cartridges and bin it.

At work and at home we have reliable Canon printers and Xerox machines, plus an antique 1994 network Laserwriter!

I was going to write that my HP printer works quite right. Then I checked, it's a Canon!

I bought a HP printer for my daughter to use at Uni a few months ago and it's not been a smooth road. We have a Canon at home which has been good but there were literally no Canon printers under £120-odd available near me at the time, so I bought what I could buy.
First issue with the HP was that although you could buy the printer from Argos or wherever it was practically impossible to buy the black ink cartridges for it as they were out of stock everywhere at the time, but strangely plenty of colour! Next thing was it refused point blank to connect to her wifi network despite all her other gadgets connecting fine, and the phone app kept falling over whilst trying. Eventually I think she got it to connect to a wifi hotspot set up on her phone which she could also connect her macbook to. Seemed like a lot of hoop-jumping and faffing about for something that ought to be simple.

The Hp Smart app, also known by customers as the HP Dumb app, doesn't work with my Android 10 phone.
It wastes a lot of my time to keep trying.

Today you have to think carefully before you buy. Whether its a computer or a toaster from a well established and respected manufacturer such as HP and Dualit. Companies now have several units under the one brand often through buying/mergers.

I have in my hands an utterly crap plastic HP laptop whilst I also have top quality electronic test equipment some over 40 years old built like a tank and working. The shit is made is some hell hole in China. You can buy the expensive Dualit British made toaster that go on working well for years with spares available and will even provide service 20 or more year old models also built like a tank. Or you can buy their cheap and colourful looking crap that fails and falls to bits after a short while that is also manufactured (if thats the correct word) in another hell hole somewhere in China.

Thats not to knock the Chinese as they are probably working down to a price enforced on them. Some good stuff (look at Apple) is also made in China although mostly copies of Western designed stuff.

In the end you get what you pay for - theres nowt fer owt.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back