advertisement

GALE GS401A's incoming

It was the fact you had to back the mid and top right off that rang some alarm bells, the implication being the bass output is less than the other drivers. I know one pair of Roger’s had the controls bypassed, so I’ve no idea where he had them set, but I’d certainly expect some adjustment in both directions on a stock pair. In one place he had them right out into the room on Sara stands, but this was in pre-CD days so maybe a different tonal balance upstream.
Oddly enough I've dialled them back up a bit, I wonder if it was a case of energising the electrolytics in the crossovers that calmed the mid top down- it was pretty fierce at first? They seem to be getting better as the afternoon goes on and after swapping the Meridian 506 for streamed over wifi to squeezebox.... my initial 'monitor' impression could be correct.

Verdict is in, these are really nice speakers, incredibly clear with tight bass but the itch has been scratched I think.

These are on my dream speakers list, after hearing Roger's in '01. I love what they do and could happily live with a pair. Sadly unobtaneum down here in Godzone.

These are on my dream speakers list, after hearing Roger's in '01. I love what they do and could happily live with a pair. Sadly unobtaneum down here in Godzone.
I know where there are a pair not that far from you. He may be open to offers.

Verdict is in, these are really nice speakers, incredibly clear with tight bass but the itch has been scratched I think.

Well, if that is the case, then perhaps you would like to exchange them for a stack of banknotes.
I've had my itch since 1976, and it shows no sign of diminishing. Could even be eczema by now.
What say you ?

I've been up to my eyes in Tannoys lately and have pushed my better half a bit too far so hopefully if folk collect their repairs the shiny things may stop getting me black looks.

Gale GS401A's outgoing.....

Ok, time's up, need to move these great speakers on. The only thing I've needed to do is sort out a really annoying Nora Batty stocking ripple in the grill material. Contact via classified room please.

Last edited:
I see someone is giving away a pair of stands for GS401s here on pfm. Might they be of interest?

This is the only FR graph for the GS401 I can find on the web, it suggests warmish voicing with somewhat pushed midband. Don't know how representative this is but it might come in useful as a reference when you're fettling yours:

file-2.jpg
That is a freespace measurement (7m off the floor!)
Floor bounce must be an issue with the 401 as the speaker cabinet sits further off the floor than normal due to the sideways stance

That is a freespace measurement (7m off the floor!)
Floor bounce must be an issue with the 401 as the speaker cabinet sits further off the floor than normal due to the sideways stance
Why is it more of an issue than any other stand mount?
FBE is a function of speaker height and listener distance.

They are quite high stands. If you try to run them with speakers standing vertically on them, they look both silly and are very precarious. I put them back horizontally very quickly.

They will work perfectly well in vertical mode with the right low stand, with back support too, so they can lean back slightly. Some of the 401 (B and C) models without the chrome end caps are probably a better choice for this. Take up less room too.

Gale stands are a bit taller than normal
My estimation of the originals are around 22 in tall, the aim is to get the mid/tweeter about ear height, ear height will be common whatever speaker you are using .the driver array on the baffle is tightly packed in the horizontal and is similar height wise to a small standmount, so tall(fish) stands are a necessity, the tweeters are actually a bit lower than my Tannoy DC's
The height of the speaker plus stand doesn't make floor bounce a problem it makes it a frequency.

I just measured my original Gale stands - the speaker base is 52cm (20.5") off the floor. Tweeters are then about 31" from floor.

The freespace frequency response is not bad, the vertical scale is just 5 dB per division, so it shows the ripples more than a lot of the competitions efforts.
How far from the back wall were these meant to be?

Last edited:
The freespace frequency response is not bad, the vertical case is just 5 dB per division, so it shows the ripples more than a lot of the competitions efforts.
How far from the back wall were these meant to be?
Yes it looks honest, their ads from way back described them as studio monitors that are designed to fit on a shelf....

I bought these Gales from Frank on Saturday and I’ve spent many hours since then going through my music library. I didn’t have any expectation as to what they would sound like. They don’t image well, they can be shouty and the treble can bite. Yet these boxes can extract every bit of detail from a recording and the bass is TIGHT, punchy and plenty deep enough. Drums sound amazing, they make music exciting. I bought them as a temporary measure but I’m already getting quite attached to the shiny beasts :)

advertisement

Back