advertisement

Car Insurance

Central Audio

Trade Central Audio
If you take out an insurance policy over the phone and you cancel by email before the policy is in force, are you entitled to a full refund ?

Surely the consumer contracts regulations apply to both email and phone so I believe you should be able to get a refund

I am obviously conversant with distance selling regulations and cooling off periods, If someone cancels an order from me before they receive it I am not entitled to take off admin fees, how come the rules are different for them ?

Most of the work is done before the policy incepts so a fee is fair.

If you get a dozen quotes you've probably cost the industry more than a full premium already.

Reactions: mjw
Most of the work is done before the policy incepts so a fee is fair.

If you get a dozen quotes you've probably cost the industry more than a full premium already.

But distance selling regulations stipulates that a full refund must be given, and I don't see any clauses for insurance companies.

I cancelled 2 days before the policy started on the 26th of last month, I got an automated reply saying they would reply within 5 days, on the 5th day I had an email saying the policy was cancelled as from the 28th thus allowing the policy to come in to force although I cancelled on the 24th, they are trying it on IMO.

If the Insurer has stated in the Ts&Cs that a cancellation fee is chargeable, you've pay it as you signed up to it when you took out the policy.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/0...avoid-paying-car-insurance-cancellation-fees/

Will I be charged a cancellation fee for switching providers?
Cancellation fees are charged when you decide to end your policy before its official end date. This fee is routinely around £50, though it varies by insurer. As cancellation fees are part of the policy contract that you agreed to, you are obliged to pay it. However, if the new provider you’ve chosen is offering a policy that beats your current deal – even factoring in your cancellation fee – then it may still worth making the switch in the long run.

If the Insurer has stated in the Ts&Cs that a cancellation fee is chargeable, you've pay it as you signed up to it when you took out the policy.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/0...avoid-paying-car-insurance-cancellation-fees/

Will I be charged a cancellation fee for switching providers?
Cancellation fees are charged when you decide to end your policy before its official end date. This fee is routinely around £50, though it varies by insurer. As cancellation fees are part of the policy contract that you agreed to, you are obliged to pay it. However, if the new provider you’ve chosen is offering a policy that beats your current deal – even factoring in your cancellation fee – then it may still worth making the switch in the long run.

But the policy wasn't in force because I cancelled before it was ?

14 days for full refund on any unused distance purchase, from date of purchase, despite what any TC's may state.

Remind them of this, and if you paid by credit card, Section 75.

On goods its from day of receipt but that is irrelevant here.

Apologies, yes you are correct.

They are trying it on, and their call centre staff, mcf**k job worker, 18 year olds won't have a clue other than to tow the line the company have said.

Manager escalation, an email quoting the CCR Regs and then Section 75 if all fails as them you have given them reasonable time and opportunities to sort.

But the policy wasn't in force because I cancelled before it was ?

No, but you have accepted their Ts&Cs.

14 days for full refund on any unused distance purchase, from date of purchase, despite what any TC's may state.

Remind them of this, and if you paid by credit card, Section 75.

https://www.hants.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/consumeradvice/goodsandservices/financialservices

How do I obtain a refund?

The supplier must refund you as soon as possible or in any event within 30 calendar days from the date of cancellation. Note that the 30 calendar days refund period can commence from the date the supplier actually received the notice of cancellation, rather than the date you cancelled, if they can prove it is later. You should therefore follow up an oral cancellation as soon as possible with written confirmation. The supplier can deduct a reasonable charge for services actually provided but only if you were informed that charges would be payable. You cannot be charged if services were provided before the cancellation period without your prior request.

[edit]

AIUI, "services provided" can include setting up and cancelling your policy.

No, but you have accepted their Ts&Cs.

https://www.hants.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/consumeradvice/goodsandservices/financialservices

How do I obtain a refund?

The supplier must refund you as soon as possible or in any event within 30 calendar days from the date of cancellation. Note that the 30 calendar days refund period can commence from the date the supplier actually received the notice of cancellation, rather than the date you cancelled, if they can prove it is later. You should therefore follow up an oral cancellation as soon as possible with written confirmation. The supplier can deduct a reasonable charge for services actually provided but only if you were informed that charges would be payable. You cannot be charged if services were provided before the cancellation period without your prior request.

[edit]

AIUI, "services provided" can include setting up and cancelling your policy.

Not when sold using Distance Purchase, as the 14 day 'cooling off' period applies.

Not when sold using Distance Purchase, as the 14 day 'cooling off' period applies.

Sorry but that's not correct. Insurance is not covered by those regulations.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/insur...surance-add-ons-fees-and-charges-a0ls14l8tsgt

Cancellation and ‘cooling-off’ cancellation fees

If you decide you no longer want your policy, even within the 14-day cooling-off period, your insurer may charge you a fee
. Under the law the fee has to be ‘reasonable’ but can still vary greatly from provider to provider. Budget, Esure and Sheilas' Wheels for example, charge £60 if you can cancel after the cooling off period - but five providers let you cancel for free

Sorry but that's not correct.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/insur...surance-add-ons-fees-and-charges-a0ls14l8tsgt

If you decide you no longer want your policy, even within the 14-day cooling-off period, your insurer may charge you a fee
. Under the law the fee has to be ‘reasonable’ but can still vary greatly from provider to provider. Budget, Esure and Sheilas' Wheels for example, charge £60 if you can cancel after the cooling off period - but five providers let you cancel for free

Dosent mention how it was bought.

Distance purchase is different as it is very defined over the fact all monies must be refunded.

I fear though, there is a grey area here, like most things in the now complicated world.

Sorry but that's not correct.

Yes but the policy wasn't in force it was cancelled 2 days prior, I cancelled the order not the policy as it wasn’t in force.

advertisement

Back