advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not, it's your claim to be anti Tory and laying into anyone you perceive as "enabling" them, while spending most of your time siding with their supporters and policies. Your posting style is rude, aggressive and deflective. All that has happened subsequently is people got sick of it and can't be bothered to be civil in return.
Rude and aggressive posts? Coming from a hard remainer like you that’s a bit rich. You and others are doing that every day.

Steve, I do not support tory policies. It’s not a ‘claim’, as you attempt again to insinuate. You’re really scraping the barrel with that one. It’s an example of your own misrepresentation and rudeness.

Who is it I side with? Unlike some, I take every post at face value, I don’t like or dislike a post because of who wrote it, or who it’s slagging off. Someone who supports the tories but makes a post I agree with doesn’t mean I support tory policies.

My apparent ‘laying into people” for enabling the tories. I don’t lay into anyone. What I’ve pointed out is no tory govt = no brexit. Sorry if you disagree but that’s my view, brexit started way before 2016. In any case, your sensitivity over my supposed laying into people pales into insignificance when compared to you and other hard remainers. There has been very little civil from quite a few members since that 2016 referendum, in fact, it started during the campaigning and I’m not alone in thinking that.

Maros Sefcovic says that the EU is 'losing patience' and will respond with "crushing retaliation' if British supermarkets sell sausages prepared in Britain.

It sounds like a headline in the Daily Mash, or a rejected Monty Python script. Satire becomes reality
I don't think Sefcovic has said anything about sausages. Can you provide an actual quote where Sefcovic mentions "crushing retaliation" and "sausages" in the same sentence or paragraph?

Chilled minced meats, PsB, which I believe includes things like sausages, burgers and the stuff you make your Bolognese sauce with.

He didn't.

Maros Sefcovic says that the EU is 'losing patience' and will respond with "crushing retaliation' if British supermarkets sell sausages prepared in Britain.

It sounds like a headline in the Daily Mash, or a rejected Monty Python script. Satire becomes reality

Mash, Mail - easily confused when we're talking about sausages.

Sefcovic was however very puffed up about the fact that the kind and charitable EU had seen fit to consider allowing medicines produced and/or distributed in the UK, and supplied from within the UK, to be dispensed in British pharmacies, surgeries and supermarkets, and he was very sanctimonious about the degree to which he and his 'colleagues in the EU have a strong commitment to the people of Northern Ireland', one which presumably doesn't preclude breaking the Belfast Agreement and thus the international laws about which they are otherwise so pompously self-righteous. It's about as strong a commitment as those that they have towards other once cherished ex-citizens such as those employed in the shellfish business, except there's probably rather less likelihood of an outbreak of extreme unpleasantness on the west coast of Scotland or Cornwall as there is in west Belfast, so the weasel words aren't required.

Sefcovic was however very puffed up about the fact that the kind and charitable EU had seen fit to consider allowing medicines produced and/or distributed in the UK, and supplied from within the UK, to be dispensed in British pharmacies, surgeries and supermarkets, and he was very sanctimonious about the degree to which he and his 'colleagues in the EU have a strong commitment to the people of Northern Ireland', one which presumably doesn't preclude breaking the Belfast Agreement and thus the international laws about which they are otherwise so pompously self-righteous. It's about as strong a commitment as those that they have towards other once cherished ex-citizens such as those employed in the shellfish business, except there's probably rather less likelihood of an outbreak of extreme unpleasantness on the west coast of Scotland or Cornwall as there is in west Belfast, so the weasel words aren't required.
Marcos is circling the waggons to keep the captive 27 inside and close, to ensure the likes of Mark and the naughty frugals are not tempted to make a break for it.

Chilled minced meats, PsB, which I believe includes things like sausages, burgers and the stuff you make your Bolognese sauce with.

He didn't.
OK, no quote then, because he didn’t say it.

If he didn’t say anything about sausages (and a further check has failed to yield any quote of his about chilled minced meats), why are the Great British Tabloid press and George Eustice getting all worked up about the Great British Sausage, and making up quotes as if Sefcovic was threatening it? I must have missed several episodes here.

Marcos is circling the waggons to keep the captive 27 inside and close, to ensure the likes of Mark and the naughty frugals are not tempted to make a break for it.
That’s a bizarre world you live in.
Any punishment beatings administered yet?

OK, no quote then, because he didn’t say it.

If he didn’t say anything about sausages (and a further check has failed to yield any quote of his about chilled minced meats), why are the Great British Tabloid press and George Eustice getting all worked up about the Great British Sausage, and making up quotes as if Sefcovic was threatening it? I must have missed several episodes here.
Ah, you're forgetting the episode in Yes Minister where the Great British Banger (viz. Big Ben Bongs ) is under threat. It's easy to predict the governments actions when we know they are driven by a BBC scriptwriter. Yes Minister, Dad's Army, etc it really doesn't matter.

Oh, do try to keep up, PsB.

When I responded to you that 'he didn't', I meant that he didn't say it. I said it.

I know that you like everything to be entirely literal, and that the grey areas between the actual, written down lines of agreements don't exist, but the further 'grace periods' that the UK is threatening to extend in order to prevent the supermarkets from running out of goods include those relating to chilled meats. As I understand it, 'chilled meats' (which includes minced meat products, which in turn include sausages) cannot be sent into the EU customs area/SM either at all or without extensive, expensive and time-consuming SPS checks, which means that the logistics chains between the UK supermarkets distribution hubs and their NI branches are broken. The EU, as represented by Sefcovic, has said that any further unilateral extension of 'grace periods' by the UK will bring 'swift, firm and resolute' retaliation by the EU, and other EU sources have suggested that this retaliation 'might' include the suspension of (an unspecified 'some') tariff-free exports from the UK to the EU, and/or the imposition of quotas.

It therefore follows that if the UK continues to allow sausages to be sent into NI supermarkets, the EU will retaliate by attempting to disrupt or destroy UK exports of some or all goods (unspecified) to the EU by introducing quotas and tariffs. This could correspond to an attempt at some potentially pretty 'crushing' retaliation, in my view.

NYT this morning- East
Jerusalem and Belfast in the same piece,

A tense summer looms for Northern Ireland
More than two decades after Northern Ireland’s bloody 30-year guerrilla war, Brexit has inflamed sectarian passions to a degree unseen in years, posing a threat to the 1998 Good Friday Agreementthat ended decades of sectarian strife.

A success of Brexit, it has “inflamed sectarian passions”.

The NYT, like the Guardian and the FT, are amongst the MSM that have, if one is being charitable, got an axe to grind in regard of brexit.

In the view of many, including people far wiser than myself, sectarian passions have been carelessly stoked by the EU (and its then lapdog, Varadkar) ever since it realised that the NI border issue could be inflated to the point to which it had the potential to destroy brexit. When it failed to do that, it continued to weaponise (a grimly appropriate word) the border issue in an attempt, which continues, to keep the UK within the EU's customs and regulatory sphere.

The threat to the GFA comes directly from the NI Protocol to the WA, and more specifically from the EU's overly and unnecessarily legalistic application of the Protocol.

Can’t they just take the Richmond Irish sausages?

Please.

I'm sure that there are some truly lovely Irish sausages, and there is indeed a very strong argument for Tescburys to buy their foods from local producers, but at the moment, sadly, that's not how their models work. Personally, I would sooner go without than buy a sausage from Tesco.

You're in the wine trade in a big way ET. Im sure you have some contractual arrangements with suppliers and customers.
Suppose one just turns around and says "yes I agreed in writing to do this, but I'm not going to now, and in fact I never intended to from the start"
This sort of bad-faith behaviour leads to ill-will and confrontation, not cooperation or compromise.

A very, very small way, Colin, and I avoid contracts as they tend to lead to problems.

As I said earlier in the thread, it is patently clear that the NIP isn't working, and that it is itself colliding with international law in a potentially very damaging way. If something isn't working, the best thing to do is to either find a way of making it work, or to seek another solution altogether. The EU's absurdly legalistic 'red line' application of the protocol represents neither good faith nor compromise, and is in truth overtly aggressive.

A very, very small way, Colin, and I avoid contracts as they tend to lead to problems.

As I said earlier in the thread, it is patently clear that the NIP isn't working, and that it is itself colliding with international law in a potentially very damaging way. If something isn't working, the best thing to do is to either find a way of making it work, or to seek another solution altogether. The EU's absurdly legalistic 'red line' application of the protocol represents neither good faith nor compromise, and is in truth overtly aggressive.

Well you would say that wouldn't you!! :D:D:D

Scandal-1989-film-images-716fbbfd-7a79-4628-8fb3-bba3ec48b16.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back