advertisement

idiots guide to reading diagrams

And to achieve little more than confusion, unfortunately.

Actually no, never been confused...never really thought about it much, other than passing interest...I suppose that's just what "Real Men", er sorry, smelly elect. engs do.

I have used box resistors since the mid 70s. I presume that it was using Rotring pen and the plastic stencils that drove this

That's about when I remember starting to see them, and the fkuced up decimals, in Wireless World. I refuse to use either.

It must have been BS 3939 setting this and that was published back in 1966
The British PO was not famous for innovation

I have used box resistors since the mid 70s. I presume that it was using Rotring pen and the plastic stencils that drove this
I wonder if it was also maybe considered less mistakable for an inductor symbol, especially when hand drawn? Kind of like how the letter ‘I’ is often dropped from alphanumeric codes to avoid confusion with 1.

I took A Level physics in spring 1977 and resistors were zigzags then.

Actually no, never been confused

Familiarity breeds contempt :)

But then, I can work out electrical symbols, and also tell you what most of the periodic table symbols are (which do not change, thankfully), and also what the usual face side and face edge marks are, and how they are used

I took A Level physics in spring 1977 and resistors were zigzags then.
A levels were not well regulated, some of my teachers in the early 70s must have been born before the Great War.
University had technical drawing as an IEE accreditation requirement and it followed the standards

A levels were not well regulated, some of my teachers in the early 70s must have been born before the Great War.

I suspect that it may have been much simpler - text books. I don't know how long any one set were expected to last for any given subject, but it would have been quite some while and popular titles would be reprinted several times. That being so, it is easy to imagine that changing symbols could take 20 years or more to work through schools where books were provided, rather than had to be bought by the student.

Pre WW1-born teachers in the 1970's? Seems just about likely.
We certainly has WW2 veterans - two maths teachers in particular - one was the youngest inmate of Colditz and another was in 617 Squadron.

I have legacy Quad Service Manuals on file for the 33 and 303. Interestingly each contains circuit diagrams for the first model and also subsequent variations (after Ser. NO. XXXXX). The first use the old symbol conventions (including zigzags) whilst those covering the more recent variations used the familiar IEC approved symbols (such as boxes).
Given the production start and end dates that both these models cover it is pretty apparent that the change to IEC standard forms occurred a long time ago (possibly to accommodate the UK entry to the EU?)

Certainly more than 40 years ago; I guess some posters are just stuck firmly in the past ....;)

The 33 and 303 were launched in 1967, so that ties in well with education using zigzags in the 70's.

And both were discontinued in the early '80s - which points clearly to the change occurring a long time ago ....'old habits die hard' 'stuff about leopards', etc.

Pre WW1-born teachers in the 1970's? Seems just about likely.
We certainly has WW2 veterans - two maths teachers in particular - one was the youngest inmate of Colditz and another was in 617 Squadron.
1914 + 65 = 1979 retirement.
I did my A levels in 1976
I'm getting old

I dabble with electronics and build the occasional circuit when there is nothing that I can find to do the job better (a very rare thing these days as tuppenny circuits from China can perform most tasks). Anway, I have just dragged a 1986 copy of Everyday Electonics and Electronics Monthly, out of the drawer (it must have a circuit in it that I found useful) - zigzag resistors. (£1.10 - a hell of a price compared to today.)

1914 + 65 = 1979 retirement.

Did they routinely work until retirement age back then???? Pass.
I know that lots of lady teachers worked until quite an age as they were of the generations robbed of potential partners by both WW1 and WW2. Lots of Miss ABCD, teachers.

advertisement

Back