advertisement

How loud do you normally listen?

In normal times I'm a regular gig goer, so always like to listen at gig volumes through my headphones. Yes, I know it's bad for my hearing........

Will try a DB app out of interest, although that might not work with headphones.

I use the Faber Acoustical app for iPhone, though I also have a couple of proper hardware sound meters (nothing fancy). The app is certainly within a db or two.

PS one mistake folk often make with phone apps is to forget the mic is on the bottom, i.e. they take a reading of their wooly jumper, not the speakers!
Clearly I wear loud jumpers...

P0.jpg

Typically 75-78db C weighted at the listening seat (some peaks higher). I would question people’s phone apps if they are getting levels as low as 55db, that is very, very quiet.

Same for me & I'm using the same app.

A or C weighting is important, there can be big differences in numbers between two, especially at low levels.

I don't have any figures, but I know the music optimize at a certain sound level in my listening room .. I think its a function of the room size and its acoustic character. I got a feeling that above certain sound level, it may overload the room.

Typically 75-78db C weighted at the listening seat (some peaks higher). I would question people’s phone apps if they are getting levels as low as 55db, that is very, very quiet.
Sounds about right for “lifelike” listening... I never try to recreate stadium levels at home (although I could with the 6KW PA system I have in my dining room right now), but I do like my music to sound as close to live as possible, so think Steely Dan in a theatre, not trying to blast the roof off, just playing it cool... that’s where I am.

In normal times I'm a regular gig goer, so always like to listen at gig volumes through my headphones. Yes, I know it's bad for my hearing........

Will try a DB app out of interest, although that might not work with headphones.
There are vastly different levels of “gig loud”, Slash and Myles Kennedy at the O2 Arena hurt my ears and I was legitimately concerned for my hearing (especially as a live sound technician myself)... you could talk to the person next to you without raising your voice at Bonnie Rait at the Symphony Hall, the sound at that gig was fabulous, but not loud... which is what I aim for when I’m mixing a live gig myself.

Depends when in the day. I got a sound meter from RS years ago. Quiet is high 70’s; loud into the 90’s average from approx 10 feet away. Next time I go seriously loud will do some measurements.

I've not measured recently but I find that there's an 'optimal' listening level. One has to achieve that balance of detail, presence and dynamic range vs overpowering the room. It doesn't necessarily mean 'realistic' levels but because my main musical diet is jazz, that level is not very loud anyway (e.g. similar to a good sounding jazz club) in my case. I certainly am not aiming for a rock concert sound level even when I am playing Led Zep!

Around 70dB at the moment, at work listening nearfield. Never louder than that in the office, the big system sometimes gets cranked up to party levels though.

Using this calculator, it tells me that I only need ~50 watts to make 85db with 10db peaks. My amp is rated at 350w @ 8 ohms. However tried a 150w @ 8 ohms and when going loud you can really hear the difference at not a lot above 80-85db (I must measure more precisely), but dynamics really flatten etc. So I guess you really need to have tue headroom for the peaks.

The calculator's spot on, 2890 Watts indicated and we've got about 4 x 700W with crossovers at 380Hz.

Today the phone indicates very little above 60dB at 3 metres, nearer 40 at seating position for some quiet R3.

Bit precious about hearing so we don't use the full 85dB with 25dB headroom often.

Pushing it a bit for organ symphony now.

AudioTool on my Redmi Android measure 55-60dB A weighted from the sofa. Verified with a handheld SPL meter.

Having lived all my adult life in flats with poor noise insulation I'm very conscious of the impact noisy neighbours can have on quality of life - I find it unbearable - so much as I'd like to crank it up that's about as loud as it ever goes.

P.S. 95dB seems incredibly loud for home listening!

AudioTool on my Redmi Android measure 55-60dB A weighted from the sofa. Verified with a handheld SPL meter.

Having lived all my adult life in flats with poor noise insulation I'm very conscious of the impact noisy neighbours can have on quality of life - I find it unbearable - so much as I'd like to crank it up that's about as loud as it ever goes.

P.S. 95dB seems incredibly loud for home listening!
that's a very nice attitude . Good to see such concern , I agree it can be a real pain .

advertisement

Back