advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we sending Gun Boats into the Channel with this recent Jersey skirmish on the brink? Just the sort of thing Boris would love to use to distract everyone from him being a lying shit. The Falklands 2.
Fishing dispute with the French and locked out of Arctic fishing grounds by Norway with the Humberside fleet facing a 60% collapse in business and that’s after he’s killed the Scottish shellfish industry.
Benefits of Brexit, Part V.

I blame the SNP. Brexit would be a roaring success if it wasn't for those pesky Scots. Eddi Reader was interviewed last night by Prime Time (RTE) as part of that special.
In her lifetime her vote has never resulted in any representation. Sort of speaks volumes. If Ireland can make a go of it there is no reason why Scotland can't either. It will be tough but then any blame will be of their own making.

Fishing dispute with the French and locked out of Arctic fishing grounds by Norway with the Humberside fleet facing a 60% collapse in business and that’s after he’s killed the Scottish shellfish industry.
Benefits of Brexit, Part V.

Brexshat.

Fishing dispute with the French and locked out of Arctic fishing grounds by Norway with the Humberside fleet facing a 60% collapse in business.
I know the Humberside fishing industry well, I've worked in fish factories in both sides of the river. I also know that the fishing industry in that area voted Leave to a man, so they are getting what they voted for. If it's not what they expected and they are looking for sympathy, they'll find it in the dictionary somewhere between sh1t and syphilis. There are precisely zero f***s given here for anyone who asked for tbis.

I kind of agree with you concerning the Humberside fishing industry if they did vote to leave it such high numbers but in reality they only voted that way because of the lies they were sold to them by the politicians. Labour can take some of the blame for not contesting anything at the time. We were all sold a lie and now it’s starting to show.

Surely the gun boats are already there as Pritti was sending them last year to stop all those illegal immigrants from crossing.
"Sorry Commander, no gunboats available before September 8th. 2 are in refit, one is experimenting with driftnets to catch immigrants off Dover, another is protecting fishing grounds near Dogger, and the last one is looking for Iranian infiltrators off Loch Ness".

I kind of agree with you concerning the Humberside fishing industry if they did vote to leave it such high numbers but in reality they only voted that way because of the lies they were sold to them by the politicians. Labour can take some of the blame for not contesting anything at the time. We were all sold a lie and now it’s starting to show.
Sorry, but not all of us swallowed the crap we were told. People lie to me every day, every week. If I don't question what I hear I'm a mug.

Your hatred of the EU is very pure and consistent, and generally quite impressive. I sometimes wonder what could have caused such an extreme expression. Is it because of your farming roots and early brushes with the CAP?

I don't know that mine is an extreme expression at all. Whether dislike or hatred, it is informed by a dislike of authority, but most specifically authority that is illegitimately acquired and deployed. It isn't to do with any personal experience of the CAP, however the opportunity to acknowledge both the CAP and the CFP as amongst the most environmentally destructive forces on the planet should not be passed. Both, most directly and obviously the former, also represent the transfer of wealth from the poor, including the very poor, to the rich. Both are well represented by extremely powerful lobbying groups, and the EU has resisted, via constant obfuscation and lies, all attempts to reform either over many years.

The CAP and the CFP are the constant and irrefutable proof that the EU is utterly unreformable.

Well, yes. But the big question is how we get from here to there. And if we're going to take hearts and minds with us, then the sort of insular Brexit mindset is utterly counterproductive. We need to find ways to accept progressively larger and more global governance and geopolitical frameworks. It feels to me that, being a member of something like the USE, provided people saw the benefits, would make movement in the desired direction more attainable because it would start to generate that feeling of common cause - of being part of something greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't agree at all that the Brexit mindset is insular and inward-looking, in fact very much to the contrary. By contrast, I see the EU as being closed, entirely self-serving, protectionist and parochial. It's record on geopolitics is lamentable, and it isn't improving.

re: 'Brexshat'
Past tense? The show’s only just began...:)

Na, third-person singular subjunctive of brexeo; therefore lit: 'let him who voted for it [learn to] sh*t himself' [cognates: wilfull non-comprehension, &c ...]

Note also - Ironically posed in the one language that once tied the room^^^^ Europe, Eurasia and North Africa together....

She would play it exactly the same if given the chance. One trick pony with one agenda.

Shouldn't that comment have been on the Scottish thread?

All very laudable EV but not happening in our lifetime; or, probably, those of our grandchildren.
Compared to Russia, China or what the USA has become in the last 20 years, the EU looks positively benevolent: internally (healthcare etc) or externally (waging war cyber or real). The EU has enough teeth for defence and, frankly, that is enough for me. It had 2 nuclear powers, but 1 will do I guess.
The UN will never be able to impose 'peace, justice, rule of law (whose law ?), equality' etc on any country. It has no territory and cannot lead by example either.
The EU failings you perceive were relatively minor (IMO) and the UK had the chance to tilt the direction of the only organisation that could possibly deliver a better world, or at least our continental sized part of it.

I've been trying to get my head around this bizarre post all day, during the course of which it has sprouted an enviable cast of admirers.

It is a fantasy, from beginning to end. If you lot really believe this tosh, I can't muster even the small amount of energy that would be required to pick it apart and shred the pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back