advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, the democracy king castigates remainers for being anti-democratic for not accepting a dodgy referendum.
Brian, the democracy king castigates non-labour voters and doesn't accept that Tories, who have won the last 3 general elections, are the peoples choice as government.
Cognitive dissonance anyone?
I do wonder how many times we have to have a(nother) thumping Conservative victory in places like Grimsby and Sedgefield before the Labour party and its supporters realise that the "Will of the People" didn't stop in 2016 and the mood of the public has been expressed. Again.
They can carry on "winning the argument" or they can get elected. Time to choose between being a campaign group and a party of government.

This bit stuck out
Barnier never saw the point of Brexit, he confesses, and, visiting a capital a week in a marathon effort to forge and maintain EU27 unity, gives the notion of “Global Britain” short shrift. “I do wonder what, until now, has prevented the UK from becoming ‘Global Britain’, other than its own lack of competitiveness,” he writes. “Germany has become ‘Global Germany’ while being firmly inside the EU and the eurozone.”

The trolls on this thread are exactly like the UK politicians all Tory involved in the negotiations. Just bang the same monotonous drum again and again. Disappear from the thread when the conversation verges on difficult subjects but then re-emerge to drone on about irrelevant nonsense. Deny reality, repeat ad nauseam.

It's interesting he uses Germany as an example. As an Anglophile, he is probably aware of the Englishman's innate fear of all things German (except BMWs), and in particular any sign of plucky little England being subjugated by, or worse surrendering to, Germany.

I don't think EV is a troll, though I do think there are Brexitiers who do troll this and similar threads.
The difficulty for EV is that his gold nuggets are surrounded by posts from two de facto trolls called out by numerous members. One who conceals and switches his own position while repeatedly misrepresenting the position of others, either through cluelessness or design, it’s hard to tell - but trolling in the classic style. The other goes in for headless chicken posting, where the foot will randomly stamp on the Google numbers button- anything in fact in order to cling on. Then from very different places, all three will periodically concur with one another.

gl3VfUh.jpg

I do wonder how many times we have to have a(nother) thumping Conservative victory in places like Grimsby and Sedgefield before the Labour party and its supporters realise that the "Will of the People" didn't stop in 2016 and the mood of the public has been expressed. Again.
They can carry on "winning the argument" or they can get elected. Time to choose between being a campaign group and a party of government.

Have Labour got anyone up their sleeves after Starmer who could get a win for them or do we have to wait for the cult of Boris to die down? With Boris gone would The North vote for Sunak?

It's interesting he uses Germany as an example. As an Anglophile, he is probably aware of the Englishman's innate fear of all things German (except BMWs), and in particular any sign of plucky little England being subjugated by, or worse surrendering to, Germany.
It’s a running theme for the Brexit movement- it crops up in posts here and it comes out of the mouths of Tory and UKIP/Brexit company politicians and the Daily Mail. It’s very real and at times right in your face.

W6gvd3n.jpg

It demeans this country.

This Englishman has no innate fear of Germany, nor do any of my friends and acquaintances. As an Anglophile, I rather suspect Barnier knows we like and respect Germany, except for a rump of people who have, unfortunately, somehow siezed the levers of power.

Well, the big new idea is paying for a new royal yacht to show global Britain is back. People are quite rightly questioning how a nation as wealthy as Britain can still have its citizens living off 2.5 million emergency food parcels last year but still expect them to pay through their taxes for a royal yacht.

Maybe they’ll buy it from a shipyard in the world’s third largest exporting nation- Germany.

Good piece on Prime Time last night about Scotland and the upcoming election. Food parcels featured and it sort of shocked me as the people collecting it seemed very ordinary and down to earth. Not what you would expect to see.

Regardless of how bad things are I don't think there is enough support for a referendum on leaving the union. Maybe in 5 yrs the numbers might have moved enough.

Have Labour got anyone up their sleeves after Starmer who could get a win for them or do we have to wait for the cult of Boris to die down? With Boris gone would The North vote for Sunak?
I don't know. I don't think that they have. I don't think that the North would vote for Sunak, regardless of his policies and talents he's the wrong colour. I don't want it to be true, but it's an observed fact here. Of course we all know that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, born in NYC, is a pure bred Brit. Course he is, with a name like that.
We have to remember that the last Labour victory over a sitting Conservative government was 1997 and Blair. Whatever his shortcomings and subsequent poor decisions, he gave the voters what they wanted. He got re-elected after all, twice. He never offered the traditional left option, it was Tory-lite. We all remember. Whether you or I want that is immaterial, the voters went for it over the continued John Major option. They got elected. If they hadn't, we'd have had more John Major. So it comes down to ideology or pragmatism. You can win all the arguments you like, if the other lot are in government then they get to do what they want. You'll hold the moral high ground, but you'll get none of what you want. Alternatively you can compromise some ideology in order to make the sale and get at least *some* of what you'd ideally like. Time to choose, Mr Starmer.

It's unfortunately been a long running theme, particularly on the left of the party which seems more interested in protest than power.

Perfectly reasonable point, one worthy of its own thread.

I don't think difficult subjects make me 'disappear' from the thread, Tony, though I have to say that I've seen you do the bunk on a pretty regular basis.

Incidentally, referring to someone as a 'troll' simply because they happen to disagree with you is borderline, if not actual, bigotry.

Not including you in that description EV. Sometimes you maybe borderline but you are correct you certainly don't disappear. I would question the volume of deflective content though :D

Agree also re troll I don't like using it but it really fits the bill for some here.

These bits resonated with me, too:

It must sometimes have felt like negotiating with a toddler.

To be fair it all resonates very accurately with what most of the sensible people saw being played out. What is shocking and reflective of the election result the English people broadly support this behaviour and modus operandi.

I looked at it differently. A French national extoling the skills of Germany and recognizing their ability to thrive industrially even in the hell hole of the EU.

With what he witnessed, hardly surprising. Your PM....

"When one of Barnier’s 60-member team explains to Britain’s new prime minister the need for customs and quality checks on the Irish border, Barnier writes, it was “my impression that he became aware, in that discussion, of a series of technical and legal issues that had not been so clearly explained to him by his own team."

Raaab.

“There is something in his look that surprises me,” writes Barnier of Raab. “He is no doubt fired up by his mission, but I am not sure we will be able to go into the detail of the negotiation with him, take account of facts and realities.”

May

He confesses to being frankly “stupefied” by the Lancaster House speech in which May laid out the early UK’s red lines. “The number of doors she shut, one after the other,” he marvels on 17 January 2017. “I am astonished at the way she has revealed her cards … before we have even started negotiating.”
Yes, that Lancaster House speech was where the rot became fully apparent. Until then it would have been possible for the UK to leave the EU while preserving a lot of the benefits (trading etc.) Almost everything since has been a consequence of that desperate attempt to placate the hardliners, with the rest explained by BoJo's deep need to become PM.

Yes, that Lancaster House speech was where the rot became fully apparent. Until then it would have been possible for the UK to leave the EU while preserving a lot of the benefits (trading etc.) Almost everything since has been a consequence of that desperate attempt to placate the hardliners, with the rest explained by BoJo's deep need to become PM.

I wonder if Arleen is glad she played her part in that.

Good piece on Prime Time last night about Scotland and the upcoming election. Food parcels featured and it sort of shocked me as the people collecting it seemed very ordinary and down to earth. Not what you would expect to see.

Regardless of how bad things are I don't think there is enough support for a referendum on leaving the union. Maybe in 5 yrs the numbers might have moved enough.
Scotland will return a pro- independence government tomorrow ( SNP outright majority or SNP+Green), no question. I firmly believe the referendum has to be timed correctly, the ground prepared for voters.

Arlene has fulfilled her destiny. Played the tactical and personal games, lost sight of the strategic dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back