advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from Shell at £13, above stocks would be classed as "penny stocks" to US robinhooders! Shame they (US robinhooders that is) can't access the broader UK market on that app.

Curiously similar happened this week with NatWest, and to a much lesser extent with bp and Shell - although not with Lloyds. All revealed positive data but investors not convinced. I am guessing that if a 2nd quarter shows sustained recovery/performance, then the interest will return.

I won’t invest in govt bail out companies out of principle! I remember Terry Smith at his recent AGM talking about someone wishing they had tomorrow’s newspaper before it was published, so they could work out which shares to buy. Terry said it was useless unless you had the share price page, such is the unpredictability of the markets.

Uranium market see to have started to rumble in the twitter world with a US asset manager taking over a major Canadian Uranium buying fund in order to launch it in the US - this will start to drive up the uranium spot-market price. Word is that prices could double by this time next year with a multiplying effect on the junior mining and exploration sector, many of whom have already grown by 100-400% in last six months.

fTtfuv1.jpg

Not as explosive as the crypto sector (which I don't understand), but looks like the cycle is turning up after a 10 year hiatus since the Fukushima reactor incident.

This is what happened to Energy Fuels in the last two cycles. I spoke about buying this stock (UUUU) in the 2020 thread - I invested at $1.8 - unfortunately it was only a modest amount.

cTvymfE.jpg

Not as explosive as the crypto sector (which I don't understand), but looks like the cycle is turning up after a 10 year hiatus since the Fukushima reactor incident.

I’ve been watching AZZ although not bought yet, seems pretty volatile. The 10 year graph is somewhat interesting!

I won’t invest in govt bail out companies out of principle! I remember Terry Smith at his recent AGM talking about someone wishing they had tomorrow’s newspaper before it was published, so they could work out which shares to buy. Terry said it was useless unless you had the share price page, such is the unpredictability of the markets.
Yes, I agree.....and my experience has proved him right over the long term (I have held a bit of LLOY and NWG/RBS for quite a few years now) and the opportunity cost has not been small (sp moderated due to PPI scandal, then Brexit) although I enjoyed the dividends. However when the market crashed last year, I knew these were seriously underpriced and loaded up my SIPP and have not regretted that at all - I bought BARC & NWG at between 90-105p and LLOY at between 26-30p. That has helped more than offset years of under-performance.

I’ve been watching AZZ although not bought yet, seems pretty volatile. The 10 year graph is somewhat interesting!
I have been investing Peninsula Energy (PEN) recently. Like Energy Fuels (UUUU), they have zero debt and can swing into production with minimal capital expense once the uranium spot price gets above $40. However sp movements are a swingy as AZZ but both PEN and AZZ look like asymmetric investments to me. I didn't think the spot-market would really break-out until late Q4 or even in 2022/2023 as more reactors come onstream and the global market surplus is depleted, but the recent Sprott Asset Management move could well catalyse this. I have about 7% of my investments in the uranium sector (and 1% in other precious and rare earth miners), will be looking to push this to 11% by end Q2 and then 25% by Q4 as I move more out of oil & gas as I calculate they will be peaking around then (I work for an oil & gas company).

I have been investing Peninsula Energy (PEN) recently. Like Energy Fuels (UUUU), they have zero debt and can swing into production with minimal capital expense once the uranium spot price gets above $40. However sp movements are a swingy as AZZ but both PEN and AZZ look like asymmetric investments to me. I didn't think the spot-market would really break-out until late Q4 or even in 2022/2023 as more reactors come onstream and the global market surplus is depleted, but the recent Sprott Asset Management move could well catalyse this. I have about 7% of my investments in the uranium sector (and 1% in other precious and rare earth miners), will be looking to push this to 11% by end Q2 and then 25% by Q4 as I move more out of oil & gas as I calculate they will be peaking around then (I work for an oil & gas company).

I bought BP and RDSB on the cheap last year, I’ll be interested in your views on when to offload as things progress. Sounds like you think it could be challenging for them moving forward. PEN is on the ASX, how do you trade in real time, I don’t think it’s possible with HL?

I bought BP and RDSB on the cheap last year, I’ll be interested in your views on when to offload as things progress. Sounds like you think it could be challenging for them moving forward. PEN is on the ASX, how do you trade in real time, I don’t think it’s possible with HL?

Assuming energy demand growth is not interrupted from the resurgence of the pandemic (Indian and Brazilian situation is terrible at the moment), then the inability of the US shale industry to access finance and thus provide the usual "relief valve" to the oil price could lead to a price spike in Q4. I think that this will lead to bp and RDSB reaching close to pre-pandemic valuations at that point. I will be really overweight in oil if that happens so will need to rebalance, so will sell and further invest into the uranium/rare earth mining sector - hopefully it won't be too late by then....the new electric mobility world will need reliable base load power and also magnets to work. I may be too late for copper and not interested in battery supply sector as that already has a lot of focus. This is my personal view on how the scenario may unfold, and if it does I really will be quids in, but as Terry Smith said about newspapers....

When I invest in PEN on the ASX, I just set a limit price depending on what happens during US hours on the US "OTC" stock, ticker "PENMF" (which I cannot buy as it is not on an exchange that my UK broker will trade on).

Last edited:
Talking of Shit Storms...HUR is one. I top sliced some a month ago with the pump and dump but not nearly enough - but hey I call my misses along with the hits LOL.

At least after the CINE, RR, TUI scare I learnt to diversify into about 20 shares..

Glad I sold HUR at 14.7p in Feb 2020. I took a 50% loss, but it was less than 1% of my portfolio. I see it is now 0.75p!

Uranium demand is being stirred by a new round of nuclear weapon production, not power generation
Interesting, that's news to me. Please can you provide a reference? At the moment demand appears docile even with Covid-related reduced production (relying on spot market purchases and existing inventories), but deemed to go into supply deficit in the next couple of years as more reactors come onstream.

Glad I sold HUR at 14.7p in Feb 2020. I took a 50% loss, but it was less than 1% of my portfolio. I see it is now 0.75p!

Yeah, I bought at 2.5, top sliced a third at just above 4 and held the rest...I was hoping for it to double before exiting (= greed)...Oh Well that's the cruel world of AIM crap...live and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back