advertisement

Dac upgrade. Thoughts/suggestions welcome

Is this to match the output voltage for the power amp? This I concede may necessitate a Preamp, in which case its quality is important.

Otherwise extra cables, circuits and power supplies must be detrimental in my view. But I'm open to listening, so perhaps it's better if I rephrase my post.

The OP may like to try a DAC, perhaps his current one, without the Preamp in the chain. Carefully of course as software can easily send out full volume which could damage the speakers.

I have, a few days ago, received a Cambridge Dacmagic to use while my Hugo TT is away being serviced. I overlooked the lack of Preamp and consequently am using software to control volume. I am astonished at how good the Dacmagic sounds, and this alongside my Qutest and Brooklyn. But do heed the warning. I do fear I am due an eviction notice from my neighbours. Speakers, thankfully survived.

I have, a few days ago, received a Cambridge Dacmagic to use while my Hugo TT is away being serviced. I overlooked the lack of Preamp and consequently am using software to control volume. I am astonished at how good the Dacmagic sounds, and this alongside my Qutest and Brooklyn. But do heed the warning. I do fear I am due an eviction notice from my neighbours. Speakers, thankfully survived.

In my experience I have found the Chord and Mytek products to be vastly over rated, especially if you put them into a very revealing system. I agree with you on the Dacmagic. The first (original) was a game changer for the price.

I had a chance to compare the RME ADI-2 FS in my naim system as a pure DAC (into 102/TeddyDualCap) and as a pre/DAC (straight into 250) and preferred the pre/DAC by a wide margin so I kept it and sold the pre/ps. Detail and transparency improve a lot, maybe some may find the sound fatiguing over long time, honestly I don’t. I heard some other pre/DAC and must say, in most cases the sound is again more transparent, but somehow thinner. It misses the “body” and involvement, I don’t experience this loss with the RME.

Same in my other system that consists of a TeddyDAC with volume control (although if I get it right, this is an actual pre section built inside the DAC case) into a TP ST60 power amp.
The RME is really good value for money and does a fantastic job all round, loads of features including filters and EQ, only downside is remembering where and how to access the gazillion menu options. The model above has ADC so could take a phono stage input and also digitise vinyl, lack of analogue in limits a lot of Pre/DACs for guys who still spin LPs. Seriously good headphone section too.

Not familiar with TP hifi stuff apart from owning quite a few of his power supplies over the years, presumably the volume control is a normal analogue type?

Something else to consider:

The Gato monoblocks are good, but a bit pricey, imo, at £8k. Not great value. (AE have an ex dem pair, btw).

Take a look at an Accuphase E380 or E480, add a DAC 50 card, feed that with your Aries. Simple, very high quality solution.

The RME is really good value for money and does a fantastic job all round, loads of features including filters and EQ, only downside is remembering where and how to access the gazillion menu options. The model above has ADC so could take a phono stage input and also digitise vinyl, lack of analogue in limits a lot of Pre/DACs for guys who still spin LPs. Seriously good headphone section too.

Not familiar with TP hifi stuff apart from owning quite a few of his power supplies over the years, presumably the volume control is a normal analogue type?

Correct, the volume control is analogue and as far as I know, TP confirms that the TeddyDAC-VC compares to the TeddyDAC into the Teddy pre (with the obvious limitation of digital sources). Yair from Teddy Pardo reads here from time to time and he may correct me if I got it wrong, or add some more comments on this.

Interesting, I have tried the RME ADI-2 FS too and couldn't get it off my system fast enough, The Sugden DAC-4 sounded way better and more natural to my ears.

Something else to consider:

The Gato monoblocks are good, but a bit pricey, imo, at £8k. Not great value. (AE have an ex dem pair, btw).

Take a look at an Accuphase E380 or E480, add a DAC 50 card, feed that with your Aries. Simple, very high quality solution.

no doubt they sold them months ago !!! as we know they have a habit of click bait !!

Interesting, I have tried the RME ADI-2 FS too and couldn't get it off my system fast enough, The Sugden DAC-4 sounded way better and more natural to my ears.

Well although I like it a lot, I wouldn't call the rme the most natural or musical dac. It has many qualities, but I find the TeddyDAC more natural and perhaps a bit more musical.

I find the RME is very resolving and somehow ruthless, I know why I like it and can understand that others don’t.
I have matched it with a NAP250 and SBLs, maybe the perception in other setups can also be different.

The RME needs a good external power supply to sound its best. I would not rely on the supplied power supply.

I would always try a good quality modern reclocker (like mutec) chained to a 10MHZ master clock before changing a DAC, if I was in the main happy with the performance of my DAC.
Some of you will not like what I am about to say but the 10MHz master clocks sold from China (Green box) especially with an improved power supply are in some ways better (in my system) than the more expensive cybershaft master clocks!!!

Last edited:
I would always try a good quality modern reclocker with a 10MHZ master clock before changing a DAC, if I was in the main happy with the performance of my DAC.
Some of you will not like what I am about to say but the 10MHz master clocks sold from China (Green box) especially with an improved power supply are in some ways better than the very expensive cybershaft models at 10x the price!!!
Would you please provide a link.... I'm curious to investigate further?

only the particular model I have pointed you towards with the DAPU OCXO in it I would recommend, as one, it is specifically mentioned for use by audiophiles as opposed to Ham Radio and two, it is the only one I can vouch for. The one you have highlighted the page to does not show the interior circuit but I can see similar looking versions which have a different model of OCXO clock installed in them than the one I have tried but then again it may be as good if not better or worse??

advertisement

Back