advertisement

Alan Partridge: is just me?

The most unfunny comedian on TV......

..... and that's saying something.

I just don't get Steve Coogan. I thought I'd warm towards him as, like him, I'm also a petrol head, but no.

Only seen the trailers but his co-star is very easy on the eyes.

Coogan and Brydon in The Trip, plus the three follow ups, are for me absolute brilliance.

I can’t even watch trailers for Alan Partridge. Horrible.

The sketch where he deconstructed what the day time tv studio host character does, was magnificent. Very subtle though as opposed to belly laughs.

Turns out it’s not just you. I think he is very clever and funny with it; sort of intelligent comedy. Interested in what those who don’t like him do like?

Coogan is undeniably a comic and impressionist of genius. AP is just a part of his repertoire and "he", at best, is comic gold.

I would definitely put him on a list with Gervais, a brilliant writer and brave and outspoken atheist. A personal hero.

Interested in what those who don’t like him do like?
Yes good point.
I put Partridge up there with Basil Fawlty as a comic character. I suppose some people don't enjoy Fawlty Towers either. There's no accounting for taste...
Partridge is Marmite personified it seems.

Early Partridge is superb and I rate Coogan highly (Saxondale is an overlooked gem).

The later stuff is good, but not nearly as funny (the jokes seem more obvious, less nuance).

I expect I'll watch the new series but my expectations aren't high.

I was glued to the screen, but I probably wouldn’t have bothered if it weren’t for the attractive and talented lady he was sharing the screen with!
He is/was undoubtedly very funny and talented himself in other personages - especially Paul Calf, but that probably says too much about me.
I wonder if he has taken the AP joke too far and is really portraying a comedian trying to portray an inept presenter but doing it totally ineptly.

Coogan is undeniably a comic and impressionist of genius. AP is just a part of his repertoire and "he", at best, is comic gold.

I would definitely put him on a list with Gervais, a brilliant writer and brave and outspoken atheist. A personal hero.
I never used to like Ricky Gervais, thinking him a bit of an arse and self-satisfied. Again, The Office is comedy of embarrassment, and I felt it was slightly cruel.

However, then I saw After Life, which I thought was just so sensitively and brilliantly done. Still those Gervais tropes of caricatures in most characters, but just an utterly superb piece of work. IMHO

Coogan and Brydon in The Trip, plus the three follow ups, are for me absolute brilliance.

I can’t even watch trailers for Alan Partridge. Horrible.
The Trip is some of my favourite telly, and it's verging on genius - which of course is subjective before anyone gets a paddy on.
The Moors scene in a Trip to Spain is hilarious - Brydon is hilarious with his cod Roger Moore. Let's not even mention the Michael Caine Alfred and Batman scene, or the oysters!

I never used to like Ricky Gervais, thinking him a bit of an arse and self-satisfied. Again, The Office is comedy of embarrassment, and I felt it was slightly cruel.

However, then I saw After Life, which I thought was just so sensitively and brilliantly done. Still those Gervais tropes of caricatures in most characters, but just an utterly superb piece of work. IMHO
Can’t enjoy stuff like The Office, AP or Sacha doing his Borat thing, just not my cup of tea. However that After Life series was brilliant and made me look at Gervais in a different light.

advertisement

Back