advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Increased job opportunities within the UK for people from outside EU.
Additional university places for Chinese students who pay for their UK education; (if you recall the EU students were on a free or reduced rate).
How well will that play with those who responded to the call of the Leave campaign’s ‘breaking point’ (and similar) ads?

Why is that a positive for the UK ? I see it as a negative.
EU immigration is easily reversed if job opportunities decline. As we have seen with very large numbers of EU nationals leaving the UK since 2016.
Immigration from outside the UK is almost entirely going to stay and take UK passports.

Why is that a positive for the UK ? I see it as a negative.
EU immigration is easily reversed if job opportunities decline. As we have seen with very large numbers of EU nationals leaving the UK since 2016.
Immigration from outside the UK is almost entirely going to stay and take UK passports.
UK control of immigration instead of a free movement obligation and as i know UK child allowance payments are no longer sent back to the country where their family lives.

Additional university places for Chinese students who pay for their UK education; (if you recall the EU students were on a free or reduced rate).

That is a plus. At the risk of descending into the sound-bite type of argument - it should go some way at least towards replacing the £1bn per annum EU funding now lost to UK universities, that will presumably find a home elsewhere:

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygu...-will-brexit-affect-universities-and-students

Mind you, might take a lot of students to make up £1,000,000,000 a year.

UK control of immigration instead of a free movement obligation and as i know UK child allowance payments are no longer sent back to the country where their family lives.

A maximum of £35 a week for a hypothetical 2 kids. So if the 2 kids were in the UK using schools and doctors that would be better ? Because they certainly will be in the future and they will be staying.
Estimates of Brexit costs are in the £50-100 billion range.
Talk about wood and trees.

Meanwhile we seem to have developed our very own sleaze swamps. I think I’d prefer a wine lake, TBH.
Sleaze swamps, if that is your collective definition of a group of politicians, will always be needed. The EU swamp is gone, a reduction in Westminster numbers, perhaps to a level of 400 so they all have a seat would sort it, followed by a 50% reduction in the lords.

A maximum of £35 a week for a hypothetical 2 kids. So if the 2 kids were in the UK using schools and doctors that would be better ? Because they certainly will be in the future and they will be staying.
Estimates of Brexit costs are in the £50-100 billion range.
Talk about wood and trees.
There is an upside of the pay and child allowance money circulating in the UK.

Sleaze swamps, if that is your collective definition of a group of politicians, will always be needed.
No, not a collective noun for politicians. Rather, an observation that political sleaze has increased dramatically in recent years, and my feeling is that this is partly down to the Brexit vote which has enabled and emboldened a proportion of the worst, sleaziest types.

But to those for whom the ‘breaking point’ poster resonated, ‘control’ was largely synonymous with ‘prevent’.
No, unless you’re talking about an extremely low number of people to the point they are inconsequential from the 17.4 million. How many people do you think this poster might have ‘resonated’ with?

Ahead of the referendum I heard a damn sight more people speaking about immigration continuing with a points system based on skills and need. I didn’t hear anyone talk about actually preventing immigration. Since the referendum, the only people who throw this one in are hard remainers, who coincidentally like to make the racist accusation, so it obviously fits with their own prejudices.

Do you know a single person who wants to ‘prevent’ immigration? I certainly don’t.

According to a survey for the Mail on Sunday, 59% of members believe Labour should campaign to rejoin the EU, compared with just 15% who said they should not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back