advertisement

Well produced recent albums

There are so many variables. I think the main one is perception. My son would probably think Arcade Fire sounds better than Sade.

He will go on raptures about certain drum parts on various albums whereas I think that the decent recording of drums peaked around 78-81, without a slight resurgence in the late 80s early 90s, but no current albums (that I hear have drum sounds like the Police, the Attractions, Jam, Joe Jackson etc.

.sjb

Not sure if 2018 satisfies the “recent” criterion, but Ry Cooder’s album from that year, The Prodigal Son, sounds marvelous to my ears, with a “you-are-there” quality that never fails to delight.

Not sure if 2018 satisfies the “recent” criterion, but Ry Cooder’s album from that year, The Prodigal Son, sounds marvelous to my ears, with a “you-are-there” quality that never fails to delight.
Worth checking out some of his stuff on YouTube from that album. Very well performed and nicely produced too.

Don't know if these are recent enough...
Cowboy Junkies - At the End of Paths taken
Billie Eilish - When we Fall Asleep Where do we Go
Paul Simon - Stranger to Stranger
Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes of Rita
Alabama Shakes - Sound and Colour - sounds good even though looking at the waveform its been brickwalled and shouldn't.

Van Morrison "Three Chords and the Truth", Neil Young "Colorado", Bob Dylan "Rough and Rowdy Ways" - three artists you can usually count on to be well-recorded.

Not sure its thats recent Turin Brakes ' JackInTheBox ' terrific production.
Agree. Got that one on vinyl.
Presently loving The Dirt And The Stars by Mary Chaplin Carpenter. Unfortunately on ‘see through’ vinyl, and i’ve had seven, yes seven exchanges, and still not got a pristine pressing, but I think the album is so good that I’m putting up with the less than audibly clean pressing. fortunately most of the noises are between, and not during the tracks.
Got it on cd also, but the vinyl is better, of course.

Agree. Got that one on vinyl.
Presently loving The Dirt And The Stars by Mary Chaplin Carpenter. Unfortunately on ‘see through’ vinyl, and i’ve had seven, yes seven exchanges, and still not got a pristine pressing, but I think the album is so good that I’m putting up with the less than audibly clean pressing. fortunately most of the noises are between, and not during the tracks.
Got it on cd also, but the vinyl is better, of course.
Vinyl always better...and mysterious too! Needle gently falls onto revolving lp and I sometimes wonder, how does the music come out? With a cd? Never think about it...cd needs more mystery! Maybe a cloak or unknown past! Lol

Vinyl always better...and mysterious too! Needle gently falls onto revolving lp and I sometimes wonder, how does the music come out? With a cd? Never think about it...cd needs more mystery! Maybe a cloak or unknown past! Lol

Brilliant :D

Well yes...
A ‘needle’ being dragged through a slab of plastic, and producing two channels of sound (without two needles)
Impossible!
And cd’s? Small plastic discs having a beam of light fired at them, and thereby making music. Equally impossible!
Must both be majic?
No...vinyl has been around since forever! We have been brought up on vinyl..vinyl has bragging rights, cd is like a wide boy being flash, we all know the wide boy ain't that flash, but likes the sound of his own voice! cd is like that..whistles and bells don't produce a symphony but vinyl does..

While not a recent recording I always thought I had a duff pressing of "All Round My Hat" by Steeleye Span. Recently I streamed it from Qobuz, the same tracks are duff. Can't believe it was meant to sound like that.

It's funny, but although I love "The War On Drugs" I was pretty unimpressed with the audio quality of "Lost In The Dream" and "A Deeper Understanding". I found them a bit flat. I'm talking about the digital versions though, never heard them on vinyl. I think the KEXP sessions on YouTube sound better:

As for modern releases which sound great and up to the standard of Sade's "Diamond Life", I'm struggling - maybe Leonard Cohen's final trilogy?

Love WOD, Thinking of a Place from Deeper Understanding floors me everytime.

advertisement

Back