advertisement

Headphone adapter jacks

ossy

pfm Member
Minor question but I found myself listening to a record through a pair of headphones last night. Ive got a cheap gold 3.5 to 6.3 adapter to plug my b&o headphones into my Quad vena. The connection is a bit glitchy in the adapter (i have to mess about with the adapter). I was slightly underwhelmed.

My question is, is there anything to be gained by buying a better adapter (e.g. audio quest headphone adapter for £25) or is this the aural equivalent of equivalent of trimming your cds to make them round(er)?

Minor question but I found myself listening to a record through a pair of headphones last night. Ive got a cheap gold 3.5 to 6.3 adapter to plug my b&o headphones into my Quad vena. The connection is a bit glitchy in the adapter (i have to mess about with the adapter). I was slightly underwhelmed.

My question is, is there anything to be gained by buying a better adapter (e.g. audio quest headphone adapter for £25) or is this the aural equivalent of equivalent of trimming your cds to make them round(er)?

It will if the connection is temperamental but I wouldn't pay that

https://www.studiospares.com/cables...ereo-mini-jack-socket-gold-adaptor_578400.htm

Last edited:
Of course, using an adapter is a compromise anyway, but the quality of construction of whichever adapter is surely paramount. Even more so adapting the small signal area of a 3.5mm to accommodate the larger quarter inch. Assuming v.f.m., paying for that quality of connection must be worthwhile.

I've got through loads of these over the years. They all sound the same, but have stopped working or disintegrated after a while. However, the couple I bought directly from sennheiser have held up for much longer and cost 6 or 8 quid each, IIRC.

I've got through loads of these over the years. They all sound the same, but have stopped working or disintegrated after a while. However, the couple I bought directly from sennheiser have held up for much longer and cost 6 or 8 quid each, IIRC.

Seconded on the Senn adapter - the only caveat being that there are different models; the one that came with my HD600 has a very narrow housing and not all 3.5 jacks will fit. I have another that came with a different pair (also Senn) and it is definitely 'universal'

Outside of that, I have had probably dozens over the years and the only ones that were crap were because of the poor contact wobble mentioned by OP. Never noticed any tangible difference in SQ - ever.

(I hate 3.5 jacks and inputs but am too lazy to change the plugs)

A second recommendation for the Senn part; I've one in use over 22yrs (at least thats when I bought my HD656Ovations) - it still works brilliantly for what is needed (which is security and reliability first, imo.) with any of the things with 3.5mm plug I have in use with my headphone amps.

(I didn't realise they were still such good value - better buy a spare...)

advertisement

Back