advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is believed to be home grown too, this is the inherent danger in allowing a large number of cases to develop.

Exactly right, but so many people just don't get this! We need some proper public information missives outside of the hands face space mantra!

Ian Brown (Stone Roses) out and proud as an anti-vaccer/anti-masker nutjob (BBC).

PS I briefly met him a couple of times back in the mid-80s (friends in common) and it doesn’t exactly surprise me.
I loved the tweet where he said he would refuse to perform at a venue that insisted on vaccine certificates to which he got the reply wouldn't that decision be up to the management of Pontins?

In Malaysia the fine for SOP non compliance eg mask wearing or travel outside district was RM1000, a months pay for minimum wage. This jumps next week to RM10,000.
Still about 400 people a day get to pay.

Just heard BBC Question Time, Theo Paphitis, in answer to a a question about whether the Governments early action (not) contributed to UK's economic position said supportingly that it was a situation that no government could have foreseen. And the Labour panellist agrees.
What?
People have been warning about a pandemic for years. We have ear and eyes open for security threats of a conventional nature but not for this?
I'm told that planning was made post SARS and that a review in 2018 forecast that we wouldn't have the PPE. Hollywood even made a film about it, in part to warn us.
Surely someone would have said, as soon as the first case hit Britain or before, pull up the bridge and shut this away? But no.
As someone on LBC said, if the drawbridge had gone up in January, only tourism and travel businesses would have needed support.

As someone on LBC said, if the drawbridge had gone up in January, only tourism and travel businesses would have needed support.

There's a woman from Kent campaigning for her Dad to be recognised as the first known casualty in late January 2020 - a full 5 weeks prior to the Government recognising the first death in early March. Like she says, she doesn't believe that her Dad, from the middle of nowhere who never travelled abroad, could have been the first victim. They were asleep at the wheel, it's well documented. Of course it's become acceptable to argue that black is white, even here (no doubt the usual trolls will be along with their excuses,) but...

Finding it peculiar that the deaths follow a 7 day repeat pattern for at least the last 4 weeks... why is the day of the week a factor ?

Finding it peculiar that the deaths follow a 7 day repeat pattern for at least the last 4 weeks... why is the day of the week a factor ?

Look at the date of death data rather than the date reported - the reporting at weekends (and into the next week) dries up.

Just heard BBC Question Time, Theo Paphitis, in answer to a a question about whether the Governments early action (not) contributed to UK's economic position said supportingly that it was a situation that no government could have foreseen. And the Labour panellist agrees.
What?
People have been warning about a pandemic for years. We have ear and eyes open for security threats of a conventional nature but not for this?
I'm told that planning was made post SARS and that a review in 2018 forecast that we wouldn't have the PPE. Hollywood even made a film about it, in part to warn us.
Surely someone would have said, as soon as the first case hit Britain or before, pull up the bridge and shut this away? But no.
A rather simplistic view from the LBC caller. Doesn’t tourism feed into hospitality industry, advertising etc.

We should have acted sooner but I honestly cannot see us ever having zero Covid cases from the outset due to an early lockdown.

I never watch question time but happened to catch a conservative doing a shameless switch of subject. He basically said mistakes were made but what about our vaccine response. Shameless really, but they will get away with this as people do want a return to normality so will buy into the process.

Look at the date of death data rather than the date reported - the reporting at weekends (and into the next week) dries up.

I appreciate there is delay in reporting but provided it is constant there is still a pattern.
See first bar chart on travellingtabby

The problem with your rationale is the virus transmits to folk who are then asymptomatic, or take days for symptoms to appear. This has been widely publicised, including on here - and is one of the few bits of this thread that most agree on. Therefore we are behind the gain line straight away. We would always also be behind this line in enforcing such a closure as, as I’ve said before, we don’t have the staffing or infrastructure to enforce a full on barrier to entry to the UK.

Also it’s very easy to close New Zealand for example, if one thing due to its population size. We are not the same as them in this and other considerations. However I do agree we have been very slow to put border conditions in place.

The problem with your rationale is the virus transmits to folk who are then asymptomatic, or take days for symptoms to appear. This has been widely publicised, including on here - and is one of the few bits of this thread that most agree on. Therefore we are behind the gain line straight away. We would always also be behind this line in enforcing such a closure as, as I’ve said before, we don’t have the staffing or infrastructure to enforce a full on barrier to entry to the UK.

Also it’s very easy to close New Zealand for example, if one thing due to its population size. We are not the same as them in this and other considerations. However I do agree we have been very slow to put border conditions in place.

Closure has never been the advice of the scientists, even prior to the pandemic when it was a theoretical consideration, but that isn't the same as saying carry on as normal, which is how some people are interpreting it.

Covid One Year Ago, and the emergence of the herd immunity strategy:

https://twitter.com/YearCovid/status/1367773133629878272?s=20

Is this a recommendation? I'm not sure, but you can see how politicians who liked the implications and aren't big on the nuances of scientific debate might take it for one.

Anyway, I recommend the site for those inclined to to sort scientists and government into heroes and villains.

Oh agree Andrew. But pandemics follow a course. And surely that course is pretty much the same. At some point you have to say that it's coming our way and this is what we know we need to do. And that we are prepared. But no. Everything knee jerk reaction , all planning abandoned or ignored. And as Woodface said above, they are quick to say ' forget the problems, look at the numbers of vaccines'. Just as they did with the empty, unstaffed, unequipped Nightingales.

Oh agree Andrew. But pandemics follow a course. And surely that course is pretty much the same. At some point you have to say that it's coming our way and this is what we know we need to do. And that we are prepared. But no. Everything knee jerk reaction , all planning abandoned or ignored. And as Woodface said above, they are quick to say ' forget the problems, look at the numbers of vaccines'. Just as they did with the empty, unstaffed, unequipped Nightingales.

I agree with accountability being questioned, at the right time. That should involve appropriate questions for a person to answer based on their position, knowledge, experience and qualifications.

But for people such as the QT panellists to say that it was impossible to know what would happen is astonishing.

Depends again on what information an recommendation they were presented with at that time. Risk decision making involves info/intel on a situation, and from that determining the threat and subsequent working strategy. This should all be examined at the inevitable public enquiry.

But for people such as the QT panellists to say that it was impossible to know what would happen is astonishing.

Just the number of people travelling betwwen the UK and Wuhan would make you eyes water (the first recorded cases in York had done) and the travel at February half term to Northern Italy where there was a major outbreak. If they were testing and tracing it wouldn't have been so major a problem but they were not in any position to do either.

I agree with accountability being questioned, at the right time. That should involve appropriate questions for a person to answer based on their position, knowledge, experience and qualifications.
Government accountability will be subverted using the old tactic of a wide ranging public enquiry.
Such an enquiry will be so large and time consuming, that it will allow the miscreants to plot their escape long before it completes.

Just the number of people travelling betwwen the UK and Wuhan would make you eyes water (the first recorded cases in York had done) and the travel at February half term to Northern Italy where there was a major outbreak. If they were testing and tracing it wouldn't have been so major a problem but they were not in any position to do either.
Let's not also forget, that in the crucial early months, the Chinese were still denying the possibility of human-human transmission for the new virus.
The only clear conclusion I can draw from all of this, is that the WHO is woefully undermanned and short of power in a world where there is still high levels of mistrust and secrecy between states.

Let's not also forget, that in the crucial early months, the Chinese were still denying the possibility of human-human transmission for the new virus.
The only clear conclusion I can draw from all of this, is that the WHO is woefully undermanned and short of power in a world where there is still high levels of mistrust and secrecy between states.

I don't know that 'deny' is the right word, there wasn't positive evidence. Interhuman transfer had long been strongly suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back