advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cases will go up from next week as Children are being tested in greater numbers. My child’s school will be testing children before they are allowed into class.

There is a lot of negativity around testing, track & trace but I think it is probably working as well as it can given how quickly it has been scaled. I know this isn’t the acceptable narrative on here.

As infections fall the demands on the tracing side will subside so I am not sure what they will do with the excess staff; obviously have an idea;)
What will your child’s school do with children of parents who deny permission for a test that the govt have made clear is entirely voluntary?
Denying them admission is an immediate law suit in waiting.

Nick Gibb made it Clear last week that
“However, schools will not be able to force pupils to wear facemasks or penalise them if they refuse. The same rules apply to those who decline to have a coronavirus test...”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...asks-not-compulsory-english-schools-nick-gibb

It's not a concensus here we were talking about that - that's goping to happen anytime soon - it's a scientific consensus that you were denying and still are by the bitter comment...
Don’t know what you’re talking about here Gav: I was referring to Woody’s insistence that no-one can handle his nuanced takes.

What will your child’s school do with children of parents who deny permission for a test that the govt have made clear is entirely voluntary?
Denying them admission is an immediate law suit in waiting.
I have no idea, this could well be a small proportion? I hope so. All these measures require a degree of public cooperation, everything from mask wearing to washing hands etc.

I have no idea, this could well be a small proportion? I hope so. All these measures require a degree of public cooperation, everything from mask wearing to washing hands etc.
Doesn’t matter how many.
Your school cannot make it a requirement of admission that children are tested.

Ah, I see, thanks. But it is reported that we're starting to see definite improvements in the older cohorts, put down to vaccination. Is that lost in the noise in your plot, perhaps?
Roughly 5% of the people have a functioning vaccine in them. This is shown in the graph that I linked to most recently:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1366445403772747787

But when you look at the numbers that cover the whole population then the contribution of the 5% is lost in the general noise caused by measurement artefacts (timing of reporting, when people take tests etc).

As @gavreid has stated, we should see a clear change once the 50 to 60 age group have also been vaccinated. But in parallel we will the results from schools going back (more people at work, more mixing of people and other side effects) which will increase the number of positive cases. Overall the increase in cases from schools going back may be outweighed or dwarfed by the effect of so many more people having been vaccinated.

Yea, but the fewer who refuse to be tested the better surely? I have no truck with such refusers anyway. Shall we just not bother?

You are obfuscating now. The fewer Who refuse the better for sure. But your school cannot deny them admission.

schools in Kent are reporting as few as 35% permission responses from letters sent out asking for permission.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...despair-at-soft-line-on-covid-tests-and-masks

From by thirty odd years in teaching I also know that a parent not returning a letter may not be refusal but just not being bothered to engage with the school.

I may have no truck as you but

You have to obey the law.

So the selfish old twats! 40% of oldsters breaking lockdown after the jab. Christ, after all the sacrifices that the young have made for us; if I was in my twenties I'd say **** em!

So the selfish old twats! 40% of oldsters breaking lockdown after the jab.

The trouble is the message is not getting drilled home due to a good time government and an irresponsible press. If you didn't read the science you'd be forgiven for thinking the vaccine is the magic bullet! We need a government prepared to level with people.

They want to get off to Brazil for stag do's and such. Carnival!! There's plenty of ventilators and in the end it will save paying the old bastards a pension.

Sunak criticised for failing to make budget provision for health spending after the covid emergency

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...086fce8e80714a#block-6040d72c8f086fce8e80714a

on top of day to day cuts

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08a1b4c6d72c63#block-6040d49a8f08a1b4c6d72c63

I don't fancy being on one of those waiting lists...

If you take out the additional Covid funding (which will decrease over the next year or so, unless there are very difficult to deal with mutations or the government makes some very bad decisions and has to use the day to day budget for more Covid spending), then there is an increase in day to day health spending from 20/21 (£140.3 billion) to 21/22 (£147.1 billion). It seems unlikely (would need an expert to comment on this) that, the documented increase would enable the NHS to catch up with all the procedures that they have had to cancel in 2020 and 2021.

The stay at home messaging has been consistent for some time now. # on TV programs, lots of 'out of home' messaging etc. There is a degree of lockdown fatigue with people wanting to get back to normal, this is quite understandable, however, compliance has been consistently high from what I have read. I have noticed some bigger groups out walking but this will have negligible effect compared with indoor transgressions.

There is evidence for cautious optimism ahead.

Ian Brown (Stone Roses) out and proud as an anti-vaccer/anti-masker nutjob (BBC).

PS I briefly met him a couple of times back in the mid-80s (friends in common) and it doesn’t exactly surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back