advertisement

Shamina Begum Back In The UK.

Frankly bizarre that Her Majesties Government consider Begum too dangerous to be allowed back in the country to stand trial. She's not exactly Magneto.

The problem is that the information acted on by the Home Secretary is unlikely to be released to the general public, so we'll never know what the concern is.

Although I'm sure whe wouldn't be a threat to anything containing ferrous metals. :)

One year's increase is not a trend. It possibly reflects a picture of an increase in jihadists being sent 'home' from the countries where the camps are.
Those Rochdale guys weren't sent home from the camps.

More recent figures seem difficult to get hold of, but numbers have been going up for a while. There's definitely a trend in relation to legislation making it easier to strip people of citizenship, and in Home Secretaries making use of the power. Rights are passing from the constitutional sphere into the governmental - or to put it another way, the elected government can increasingly do whatever it wants.

The UK's paying the price for not having a constitution. So much depended on norms and traditions, and one of the things that distinguishes this crop of Tories from previous outfits is that they've discovered that there's no downside to trampling over norms and traditions - not only is there no censure, they're rewarded for it, electorally. So they're going to stress test the whole system and find ways to make it more authoritarian and, let's face it, more racist. This is a definite win for them and there'll be more to come, because there's no opposition or even criticism.

The problem is that the information acted on by the Home Secretary is unlikely to be released to the general public, so we'll never know what the concern is.

:)
I think she was informed that it wouldn't look good in the papers for the party line.
It's hard to imagine even the Labour Party, in government, with its present volition, pursuing a different outcome.
The only thing working in SB's favour is the high profile of this case of abuse, maybe.

Fair enough. Do you know if there's any data on why each of the 104 had their citizenship revoked other than it was "conducive to the public good"? (https://assets.publishing.service.g...1_Transparency_Report_2018_Web_Accessible.pdf)

This line stuck out for me:

When seeking to deprive a person of their British citizenship on the basis that to do so is ‘conducive to the public good’, the law requires that this action only proceeds if the individual concerned would not be left stateless

Presumably that's why white British terrorists like Samantha Lewthwaite retain citizenship but the children of immigrants can have it stripped.

It's not quite saying they can 'go back to where they came from' but there's a whiff of it.

What happened to Jack Letts was wrong IMO but there are clear differences between his case and Begum's, in that he was not a child and he did have dual citizenship. The Home Office only stripped him of British citizenship after its actions against Begum left it open to charges of inconsistency. And he's not exactly typical is he. Unless you've more examples of white British subjects being stripped of their citizenship?

Yes, born in the UK to a permanent UK resident, raised and schooled in London and nowhere else for her whole life. What is she ever if not a UK citizen?
I was pointing out the inaccuracy of your claim that being born in the UK was of any relevance.
It isn’t unless other factors, which you now acknowledge, apply.

What happened to Jack Letts was wrong IMO but there are clear differences between his case and Begum's, in that he was not a child and he did have dual citizenship. The Home Office only stripped him of British citizenship after its actions against Begum left it open to charges of inconsistency. And he's not exactly typical is he. Unless you've more examples of white British subjects being stripped of their citizenship?

I'm not going to claim that I know the reasons for everyone who has been stripped of their citizenship but I'm confident enough it's not on the basis they're aren't white.
I guess it's probably to do with the threat they are to the law abiding people of this country.

advertisement

Back