advertisement

High End MC Cartidge purchase.

badger748

Former bacon enthusiast
Mulling over a new cartridge (dependent on selling things, not hifi, so not an overnight deal).
Cartridges I own are Zyx Universe II, Zyx Ultimate 100 and Ortofon A90.

Turntable is a Thales TTT-C II with a Simplicity arm, on a Thales base on a Grand Prix Monaco rack with carbon platform. Amplification is Tron Seven phono and pre (GT spec) and Atlantic 300B to Devore O/96.

I have owned all 3 carts from new and at the moment the cheaper Zyx is on the table to rest the Universe. The A90 is 8 years old now, and is prob due a clean up and inspection back at Ortofon.

I have owned various Koetsu's over the years - wooden, Urushi and stone bodied ones. I always love the tonality, but find them lacking a bit in detail. Similarly, certain cartidges can be a big hyper detailed and forget the musicality along the way. I've listened a lot to many other top end MC's but for various reasons, havent pulled the trigger.

So my short list of contenders is - any comments for or against welcome. As you can tell from my system, tonality, texture, emotion is key - but i do like a detailed top end. Not a bass head particularly, but it needs to be there. The A90 polarises opinion and the fact i adore it, tell you partly where I'm at.

Contenders then.

Lyra Etna SL (never owned a Lyra)
Ortofon MC Anna Diamond (Loved the A90, was less keen on the A95 which I sold)

Koetsu Jade Platinum (had countless Koetsus and have a love/hate thing here, but never had a Jade) so a reservation over this.
Dynavector XV-1t (had an xv1-s for many years) the "s" was quite polite, so similar reservations here.

Ones I'd rule out - but feel free to challenge me on this are ones I'd have trouble shifting on if I didn't like them. For example I loved the Miyajima Madake, but their used prices are pants. Similarly, someting not so well known like a Etsuro or Kiseki - for similar reasons. Not interested in a VdH, Clearaudio, Shelter, Soundsmith, My Sonic Lab, Gold Note, Air Tight, EMT ,yes i know Thales own EMT and are making their own cart. branded X-quisite, but for same resale reasons, thats a "no" as well. Also a no go on the "new" Miyabi and Ikeda (owned those too).

I think it boils down to either of the 4 mentioned.

Any thoughts?

I use a Lyra Kleos. Forget the old cliches of Lyra’s being too bright & toppy. The newer ones, Delos/Kleos/Etna are detailed but not at the expense of other areas. Certainly not syrupy or overly polite, but for me they get the balance right. Set up is important to get exactly right, but you could probably say the same about any high end cart. They deserve time & care in getting the set up spot on.
It’s a helluva lot of ££ ( well it is to me, anyway) to spend on the basis of what others think on a forum, & my guess is that there won’t be a “clear winner” as everyone will have their own opinions & favourites. Trying to commute that into your system & tastes won’t be easy.
If you can get to hear a Kleos, it should give you a flavour of what an Etna can do, as I’d guess trying to find a demo on an Etna will be tricky.

Thats the problem isnt it - cartridges are fiddly and delicate - i doubt a dealer would let you have one on dem. Maybe if you put down a full RRP "deposit" !
Obv I have history with DV and Koetsu. Ortofon i know and like. Lyra, and the Etna SL is the unknown.......

Im a bit higher up the food chain than Rega. No offence, but im deliberating top end cartridges at £6k-£8k here, so unlikely to jump to one £750 given the nature of my system as I outlined.

The Ania pro is below the Apheta in Rega’s hierarchy isn’t it? Maybe I’m getting confused.
The Apheta3 is nowhere near a Kleos, certainly an Etna is in a league or three above an Ania, as it should be for the difference in price.

Im a bit higher up the food chain than Rega. No offence, but im deliberating top end cartridges at £6k-£8k here, so unlikely to jump to one £750 given the nature of my system as I outlined.
none taken... are you chasing marginal gains? (Meant nicely:))

Always Jono..... but despite those margins, MC's can sound quite different, I.e. the Ortofon A90 to A95!

Very happy with the XV1-t here, on a LP12/ARO so probably not representative. Others I'd consider are the Linn Kandid, although that's another take on Lyra I suppose. I know what you mean about XV1-s being polite, so consider the T to be very similar.
Not familiar with any of your other hardware I'm afraid.

For me, Dyna’s are great carts, but possibly with a slightly thicker, warmer mids & upper bass area. Emphasis on the “slightly”, I certainly don’t mean woolly or poorly defined.
All carts at this exalted level are going to be superb, utterly superb. It’s just that they will all have their own character & trying to get the right one within the context of the OP’s system will be the the tricky bit.

Can only offer some alternatives, been Orto-loyal for 25+ years and have no experience with the others you mention.

The left field choices:

Platanus 2.0., 3.0 and 3.5

Sensitive Sound make a lot of models, maybe something there?

Top Wing

DS Audio, which would entail their expensive step up phono stage.

Murasakino

Haniwa

Mu Tech

Can only offer some alternatives, been Orto-loyal for 25+ years and have no experience with the others you mention.

The left field choices:

Platanus 2.0., 3.0 and 3.5

Sensitive Sound make a lot of models, maybe something there?

Top Wing

DS Audio, which would entail their expensive step up phono stage.

Murasakino

Haniwa

Mu Tech

The trouble with "left field" is, if it turns out not to be your favourite flavour, selling them on can be a chastening experience. As in, you lose your shirt !

Re-sale value is a key consideration here, hence Lyra, DV, Koetsu and Ortofon - all are easy to sell on and command strong re-sale values.

As I referenced, the Madake is wonderful, perhaps i should have put that is an no 5? But with a new price that is way more than it was a few years ago, and p1ss poor residual values, it is a no go.

...and for reference I'd rule out DS Audio ( i dont want another 'box') and Cardas / Fuuga cartridges as well. Personal reasons, I'm not going into on here.

Have you heard a Decca? If they hit the spot there’s nothing like them. I’ve got a Super Gold on rotation with Koetsu and Audio note carts and it’s up there (albeit more fussy) on the right record.

Dont know what extra the Reference brings to the party?

I’ve never actually heard a Decca.
Not sure it’s for me tbh after reading up on them. Interesting left of field option though :D

I'd go Lyra if no financial limits are in place.

However don't discount less expensive MCs - once you start nudging close to £1k it's all about flavour- there is no universal right or best, and a £5K cart isn't necessarily better than one at £1K.

I mean, a crazy expensive Koetsu in a stone body is a decent MC in a party frock, right? ;)

Ortofon MC Anna Diamond replaced my old A90 & a truly Outstanding cartridge
Grado Lineage range - Aeon £6k or Epoch £12k Magical cartridges
Top Wing Red Sparrow & Fuuga are very good indeed

My usual advice for Decca’s is 2 arm system, they can be fantastic, but by equal measure they have their issues...

Another leftfield if you like is the Audio Technica at 1000, may be easier to get a demonstration model?

advertisement

Back