advertisement

Audio/Digital Cables

Personally I'd recommend one of these for the coax digital cable:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=180238990058

Decent 75ohm cable specified to 6GHz with Canare true 75ohm connectors. I'm using one between my Audiolab 6000CDT and Chord DAC64 in non-re-clocking mode where fast edge speed is critical to maintain jitter performance. Noticeably better than another random cheap RCA coax I had and also better than a fancy and expensive Chord Co. cable that I borrowed for dem.
The digital cable definitely makes a difference if your DAC does not re-clock the data but is relying on the source to provide the word clock info.
This cable is indeed the best sound quality/price ratio you can find and good enough to listen and enjoy music........rather than looking at a fancy cable with oversized jacket and NASA design connectors !

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have been unable to hear significant differences between digital coaxial and optical cables to justify paying more than for a correct properly made e.g. midlevel one (with a slight preference for coaxial overall). When I say this I mean comparisons between anything from a decent £15-30 optical or coaxial to many from various brands up to Chord Signature TA at £800 (and gave up). However very different experience with USB cables where I’ve found significant sound differences e.g. comparing cheaper or more expensive AQ, Nordost or Chord - quite different character and easy to justify spending more depending on budget, system and preference.
(btw ethernet cables have also been surprisingly different for me and worth choosing carefully.)

I hope the OP has a good enough answer. I think we continue to see at least two opposed audiophile philosophies. For the avoidance of doubt, in both I see "enjoy the music" as common. But as for differences I see:
  • the audiophile who likes tweaking, who believes that an audible difference between digital cables is a good thing to be exploited; and
  • the audiophile who likes engineering, who believes that an audible difference between digital cables is a bad thing to be eliminated.
I know which side I am on.

Yet another waste of everyone's time. Another cable thread with exactly the same responses (with the same old trying to be amusing/clever/smug comments) as the previous 5,879. Nothing new, never will be. I must stop clicking on them in the vain hope of reading something informative; it'll never happen.

• the audiophile who likes engineering, who believes that an audible difference between digital cables is a bad thing to be eliminated.
Do you mean actual audible variations resulting from faults in the cable which should be fixed or the belief in audible variations which should be discouraged?

Do you mean actual audible variations resulting from faults in the cable which should be fixed or the belief in audible variations which should be discouraged?
The former. But the identification of actual imperfections in a system is not always easy. So actual differences when cables are swapped are not necessarily attributable to the cable.

On differences people perceive for unidentifiable reasons, that's normal for humans so there is nothing to be fixed. My hearing as I perceive it varies with mood, recent listening history and probably many other things. It's an integral element of the hobby.

Your amusing analogy doesn't work and is wrong because the bag is not an active component of the food.

My analogy was specifically aimed at cables for digital interfaces and I should've used Alphabetti Spaghetti instead of beans, and opened the can to count the letters before and after the trip. My point is this: you would end up with exactly the same set of letters so you wouldn't be able to distinguish which bag they had travelled in.

The former. But the identification of actual imperfections in a system is not always easy. So actual differences when cables are swapped are not necessarily attributable to the cable.

But that doesn't matter. Most users have no way of knowing the vagaries in different pieces of equipment so trial and error cable swapping is the only way to find out what suits.

I'm inclined to agree that it should be possible to design a digital cable which delivers perfect performance, and I don't see why such a cable should cost four-grand! I remain open minded for now though as I have to concede that there may be things going on in digital music transmission that we don't yet understand. I recently fitted a small Mana platform under my CD player, which is only functioning as a transport, and it improved the sound. I don't know how that can be possible, it makes no sense to me and I wasn't expecting it to work.

My experience of coax cables is the the differences were pretty small and I find it hard to believe that spending thousands on one could result in a much bigger improvement. Never tried a mega-cable though so who knows.

My analogy was specifically aimed at cables for digital interfaces... My point is this: you would end up with exactly the same set of letters so you wouldn't be able to distinguish which bag they had travelled in.

You should go and read up on how digital transmission systems work as it's not as simple as many people think it is. There are known issues which can result in the variations heard. You can't actually transmit a number down a cable.

You should go and read up on how digital transmission systems work as it's not as simple as many people think it is. There are known issues which can result in the variations heard. You can't actually transmit a number down a cable.

Having actually worked on 'digital transmission systems' I'd agree with your first statement. And with your second, vague and sweeping as it is. Your final one needs context. As it stands it could mean that no digital link can work and any destination it feeds must get no information at all. And that no computers, etc, can work.

Your final one needs context.

Yes, what I'm alluding to is that many people have a perception that digital means numbers and is therefor immune to error, as the numbers at one end will be identical to the numbers at the other.

What they are not considering is that you can't actually send a number down a cable. It has to be transformed or coded into and electrical signal, which is effectively a wave form and is therefore subject to possible distortions during transmission. Or during encoding/decoding.

I know how digital transmission systems work, believe me. As I'm sure you know, uncorrected bit errors over a channel or transmission line impact the analogue waveform coming out of the DAC in entirely different ways to frequency, phase and amplitude perturbations of an analogue signal. It's like comparing apples and tractors. Bit errors cause drop outs and glitches. Error-free transmission over a 1 metre cable does not require a £500 cable. But if you like the look of it, knock yourself out.

Hi all. I’ve recently acquired a Musical Fidelity V-Link192 usb to coax converter. I bought it from a fellow pfm member and I’m very very pleased with it. I use it on the usb out from an iMac to the coax in on my Teac UD-H01 DAC. I am now seeking advice on upgrading the relevant cables. I need a 3m usb a to b cable plus a .5m coax to coax digit cable.
My knowledge of digital audio is limited and as with analogue interconnects there is a lot to choose from. What are the recommendations that you would make please? I need to keep the cost within reasonable limits but am prepared to pay around £150 all in.

There's a theory that S/PDIF coax should be at least 1.5m long.

I would not waste £150 on a couple of cables when your DAC is only worth twice that amount (in fact I wouldn't waste £150 in all cables of my system anyway regardless of the system's price).

I am using one of these as a USB cable between endpoint computer and DAC:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BV2VRK2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I am no longer using a coax but this is the one I've bought:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cpds3_cc.htm

Total price: just under £20

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back