advertisement

Xmas bah humbug!

Got one of the wifes Grans fixed up with an early Xmas present the other day, a webcam for her ancient laptop, she’s avoided tech like iPhone/iPad so far but Xmas and having family down in England and USA spurred her on to try a camera, thankfully it plugged and played nice and she was soon FaceTiming her granddaughter/great grandchildren with a bit of verbal guidance. She’s been on her own shielding since March so it’ll make Xmas a bit more bearable.

I am ambivalent about Xmas. As a child we got gifts but no huge celebration, no tree etc (all down to my parents religious beliefs).

I like the time off to relax and eat and decompress. Mrs and I dont really buy presents. We normally go away which gives us a change of scenery gets me away from cooking (I do all of it)......but tier 4 put paid to that. We were still prepared to go until tier 4 arrived. Luckily we had a plan b xmas so we won't go without.

I could only add a long bike ride in the early morning before the drunk drivers are out to precede the above. Weather permitting, of course. The forecast is for 50mph wind and driving rain here, so I might not be doing that.
Oh yes, forgot the bike ride. I am having one. I'm fitting it in with a stroll around with my pal, his pregnant wife and their dog. Then food etc.

I think I'd start by NOT assuming that those who are not alone are necessarily having a better day. Trust me... millions 'grin..bear it and play along'..

Agreed, I think a lot of people will be please that the razzmatazz and getting together won’t be possible this year.
And as usual lots of people will be having a REALLY crap time, lorry drivers at Dover, homeless people.... the grass is not always greener.
I will however miss seeing my family, especially grandchildren, but that’s the same as any other day currently.

Get yourself a bag of mind altering recreational drugs and recreate the excellent film,

Now there's an idea, but I would substitute music for film. It would be Boxing Day or beyond before you know it ! The grass is always greener....' may apply here if you're that way inclined.

I'm also a bumhug Christmas person, but have gone through the family stuff with (according to my eldest daughter) really pushing the boat out in tree, decorations and the like in our large Victorian family house in the eighties/early nineties. Even then, I was aware of the hype and waste for what is effectively one day of overeating and over-drinking (or whatever), but children are the key here as they've been indoctrinated with expectant beliefs since birth.

The nadir of the year is always challenging, with low light and inclement weather. To my mind, the sheer chaos and waste caused by feverish consumerism at this awful time of year adds insult to injury, so to speak. I've always, like the Chinese and other Asians, felt that a new year is worth while celebrating; it is at least a designated start to what most hope to be relatively sunlit uplands, despite January usually being a false dawn, at least meteorologically. Clever Chinese, starting (usually) in February and even giving each year a name with mystical aspirations and attributes.

The 25th of December is an arbitrary date to celebrate a religious event; not that this latter has great significance nowadays. In conclusion, I find the time of year bad enough, but most things associated with modern Christmases conspire to make it worse. This year's Christmas, though, is a negative humdinger and should have been postponed until the summer, as in Australia (where you can't really be serious about Christmas whilst swimming in the ocean under blue skies and 25 to 30 degree temperatures. I rest my case.

This will be my first Crimbo at home for quite a few years. I normally take my mother away for a few days...previously Berlin, Kolkata, Krakow, Prague. We are not big fans of the whole happy happy joy joy shenanigans.
Tomorrow if the weather permits I will take her for a picnic lunch at a local view point then return home in time to have dinner.....possibly Salmon, possibly Thai red Curry.
In the eve we'll pop in to see my Brother and his fam before I take mum home.
Once chauffeur duties are finished I'll have a Scotch or 4.

The 25th of December is an arbitrary date to celebrate a religious event...
Isn’t that the case for New Year too, a bunch of humans once carved up the year and called one of the days New Year? I try and miss it to be honest, always found it far too depressing and generally disappointing. Sounds like you’re going to have to bring back Augcember Mike to see you through, if you remember that sketch.

The 25th of December is an arbitrary date to celebrate a religious event;
Isn’t that the case for New Year too, a bunch of humans once carved up the year and called one of the days New Year?

The difference being that one has to have a start to a new year, as a year is a more or less fixed rotation. I could start in the summer, I s'pose, but both the west and China chose the southern hemisphere winter months, and they're only a month or so apart.

Christmas is a day to celebrate a religious event (like Easter). Diwali in India is another. Both these dates have no recorded accuracy, but being a complete agnostic, I object to religion impinging on any aspect of normal life for those who don't follow Christianity. It might have made sense in simpler domestic, economic and religious times, but not now, i.m.o.

No, I don't know the sketch you refer to, I'm afraid. I rather like the Chinese year names; I'm a dragon, it seems (which, I'm told, is high up on the list !!!)

Christmas should be whatever you want it to be, nothing more or less. I don't do all the Christmas songs, OTT present buying or any decorations here, but I'll be going over to my Mum's where it's all about some amazing food and drink and a few cheap gifts.

It's mainly about the food, drink and a couple of days off work for me, we do a few traditions but they're our traditions, not Jesus's.

NYE can do one, not interested in any of it. Is there an equivalent 'bah humbug' for NYE?

I love Christmas and though our family is now scattered I intend to use technology to make it a great family Christmas.For me, Christmas is the excuse to get the family together.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I suspect that the internet will crash completely tomorrow under the strain.

Just the two of us this year, for obvious reasons. Will take the dog for a walk in the countryside, nice bit of grub and vino. Settle in by the fire and watch a film or two. No presents this year, told everyone there would be none, made an equivalent donation to Crisis instead.

Whatever you’re doing, Happy Christmas, enjoy and stay safe, whether you like it or not!

Nice food. A good bottle. Spin some record s. Ignore crap TV, put decent stuff from iPlayer on. More vfood and vwine, sleep.

Oddly if I’m on my own and feeling at all lonely I have found watching live broadcast TV comforting - that shared experience feeling. Most of the TV schedule does look very poor this year - hopefully something to be found somewhere!

Isn’t that the case for New Year too, a bunch of humans once carved up the year and called one of the days New Year? I try and miss it to be honest, always found it far too depressing and generally disappointing. Sounds like you’re going to have to bring back Augcember Mike to see you through, if you remember that sketch.
Christmas is known to have been fixed around the Solstice so that it could coincide with Yule and submerge it. Same reason that Christian churchyard s have yew trees and holly and mistletoe are the "Christmas" tradition . I always thought that the New Year started in January for the same reason. The old year ends in darkness, the days contract. The new year follows, it's a period of growth, the days can be seen to be getting longer, the winter will end and the next year s crops start up.

advertisement

Back