advertisement

Xmas bah humbug!

2ManyBoxes

pfm Member
A thread for everyone who will be on their own this Christmas Day.

As the TV is crap, all the shops will be shut and there's no-one to talk to who won't be having a much better time than you, any suggestions please for what to do instead on the most godawful day of the year.

I walked into my local fuel station today and one of the staff had a wonderful “Bah Humbug” blue face mask on. Made me chuckle!

As the TV is crap, all the shops will be shut and there's no-one to talk to who won't be having a much better time than you, any suggestions please for what to do instead on the most godawful day of the year.
I would indulge myself. Play my own music, as loud as I like; open a bottle of a favourite something, to enjoy alongside something I really like to eat. Maybe bury myself in a new book I’ve been looking forward to starting.
And get out for a walk, somewhere nice, unless the weather is really crap. Maybe borrow a dog, if you don’t have one to hand.

I would indulge myself. Play my own music, as loud as I like; open a bottle of a favourite something, to enjoy alongside something I really like to eat.
This, really. Like every other day of the year, in other words. But it’s a special day, requiring at least one special action. At present I think this may be spending all day, Dude-style, in my dressing gown.

That’s my special action done.
Bloody marvelous.

A friend of mine has just got a puppy and smuggled through the name markey in tribute to the great man

The dog is far too cute to be named after a goblin but it's a wonderful gesture

I've been musing about getting a neon sign of "Humbug!' made up but the cost, including a new safety glass window, would be prohibitive.

I’m by myself and it doesn’t bother me at all, perhaps that’s because I’m an only child and am used to my own company. I totally understand why it’s a difficult time for others.

Christmas Day will probably see me cooking a good piece of steak, drinking something fizzy and eating some cheese later on. I’m sure LPs will be played too.

I used to try to spend a few days in Northern France between Christmas and New Year, that’s obviously not going to happen this year. Since I hardly worked from April to December working between the bank holidays seems a good thing.

It’s been such a shit year for almost everyone that I’m looking forward to 2021.

I've been musing about getting a neon sign of "Humbug!' made up but the cost, including a new safety glass window, would be prohibitive.
In the end that’s really only feeding the troll. Just ignoring the whole thing - it is possible - is the best way.

Nice food. A good bottle. Spin some record s. Ignore crap TV, put decent stuff from iPlayer on. More vfood and vwine, sleep.

I could only add a long bike ride in the early morning before the drunk drivers are out to precede the above. Weather permitting, of course. The forecast is for 50mph wind and driving rain here, so I might not be doing that.

I think I'd start by NOT assuming that those who are not alone are necessarily having a better day. Trust me... millions 'grin..bear it and play along'..

Enjoy your own company. Go for a walk. Eat, drink and do as you like. Turn the TV on..or off.. Stay in bed.. get up.. Take a shower.. listen to music, read a book, have a 'personal intimate experience'..:)

Failing that.. or as well as that.. Log on here... most of us are having such a fabulous and absorbing time that we can't stay away..:D

I think I've been pretty fortunate having a family where we rub along OK, at least just for a day.

My brother is a fascist and therefore my sister (2 years younger) is a communist but when my brother makes some provocative remark about the crap civil service we all chime in and take the piss out of him. Or at least, I do :)

This year has been so crap on so many fronts I'm glad to see the back of it, even though I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. It all depends on if the vaccines are effective against the new strains that will appear and already are appearing.

I'm going to try not to fall out with myself and stay sober until at least 15:30 ...... :)

I've never really enjoyed Christmas even as a child, not sure why but I find all the falseness depressing. I really can't stand Christmas songs on the radio etc. I do however attempt to make it through the day without ruining it for every one else. I do enjoy the cooking and eating and I love turkey.
But as I get older I spend more time thinking about those far less fortunate than myself; alone, destitute, dying, bereaved, suffering from mental illness etc. I would like to do more to help those in need and will be volunteering my time next year again if possible.

advertisement

Back