advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there tariffs on fish caught by EU factory ships off the coast of Scotland and then loaded onto Russian super trawlers?

AIUI, the Dutch and Russian large-scale trawlers are in competition. Where's your evidence that they're in cahoots?

Johnson's, as he is elected and subject to sanction by British voters.

The British one, as it actually is a democracy, however imperfect. You have to be seriously delusional to think that the EU has 'its shit together'.

On the last point, as I've said a dozen times, the thread title is sleight of hand. We won't know the benefits until we're actually out of the EU, and even then probably not for a good while. There are potential benefits for sure, but their realisation entirely depends on the policies of this and future governments once we're out.
You have to be seriously delusional to think the UK has it's shit together.

I think I used the word 'imperfect'.

Imperfect can be improved. Effectively non-existent has somewhat further to go.

The Express has found a benefit of Brexit today. We’ll no longer have to comply with EU VAT rules dictating that some goods and services are exempt. Mr.Sunak will be free from on January 1st to reduce borrowing by raising more in tax through widening his VAT net. The Express wants the EU to conclude negotiations because the humble British tax payer needs to plan for how much their cost of living will increase by next year.
A benefit at last- more VAT.
Why is more VAT a benefit? :D

Staggering. I respond to the tired trope about 'the BS about the EU from the media etc... with a series of quotes straight from the horse's mouth, and the response I in turn get is 'I refer you to decades of BS about the EU from our media etc...'

This is either sheer arrogance from those who are utterly convinced of their (perceived) moral majority - the blindness of those who will not see , or it really is sheer stupidity.

Just for the record, Jean-Claude, who was renowned for wearing his heart on his sleeve, was not discussing the merits of straight bananas or the undesirability or otherwise of pounds and ounces.

"When it becomes serious, you have to lie."
This referred to the, shall we say 'controversial', EU response to the Greek economic collapse of 2011 onwards.

“Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?,” was in response to British calls for a referendum over the Lisbon Treaty aka the EU Constitution.

"We decide on something, leave it lying around, and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back." On the introduction of the (disastrous) Euro, a mere trifle for sure in comparison to bent/straight bananas.

“If it's a Yes, we will say 'on we go', and if it's a No we will say 'we continue’,” on the French referendum on Lisbon's precursor, the EU Constitution, which represented massive further transfers of power to Brussels.

The EU is an utter corruption of the most basic principles of democracy. And Jean-Claude, who should know, said it. Repeatedly.
This is damning stuff, but don’t expect any acknowledgement from the hard remainers posting here.

43 days to go till we find out. Will we hear the British lion roar or will it be on a ventilator?
More whinging about brexit...

Have you made any overnight progress understanding why over 40 seats in Scotland where voters have switched from Labour to the nationalists has assisted a tory majority govt in the UK, so helping enable brexit even be a thing?

On the last point, as I've said a dozen times, the thread title is sleight of hand. We won't know the benefits until we're actually out of the EU, and even then probably not for a good while. There are potential benefits for sure, but their realisation entirely depends on the policies of this and future governments once we're out.

How convenient! Except that's the opposite of the Brexit campaign. I don't remember seeing that on a bus.

A campaign run on the premise you quote above would not have flown. No wonder it needed the emotional response of anti-immigration bile and a stack of false milk and honey promises.

Last edited:
More whinging about brexit...

Have you made any overnight progress understanding why over 40 seats in Scotland where voters have switched from Labour to the nationalists has assisted a tory majority govt in the UK, so helping enable brexit even be a thing?

Explain to me how over 40 seats in Scotland being SNP and not Labour makes a jot of difference to the Tory majority government in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back