advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah makes sense, have had a fair few ProAcs over the years and fancied something different/special. A dealer is pushing hard some Audio Physic Step 35 but I have never heard any models of that brand not even at shows, not convinced they will work on my desks, I sent him same pic and he says they will, 30 day money back but it’s a faff/worry that I may knock them or they get damaged in transit and it becomes an insurance job. They looked a bit big too but are 5cm less deep and 4cm less high than 40’s.

I have a REL T7 under the desk.

https://www.audiophysic.com/en/product/step-plus/

I’ve not heard any Audio Physic speakers over the years but they do have a good reputation. I know what you feel about home trials - I have had a couple of frustrating experiences in this regard.

I'd even go as far as the DB3's in that setup.
The original shortlist was DB1 or DB3 or 40’s. I’m not sure if the DB1 is worth the extra over the DB3 with a sub in the mix, I read the specs to mean that they go a bit lower but the basics and tweeter are the same? Tab 10 Sigs seems to be the safer choice but I reckon you’re right I should go with the DB. Been keeping an eye out for a fair while and they don’t come up used very often.

I’ve not heard any Audio Physic speakers over the years but they do have a good reputation. I know what you feel about home trials - I have had a couple of frustrating experiences in this regard.
A dealer demo isn’t a guarantee things will work out in your own room but it does give a general indication if you like the sound signature, especially if you can use same/similar amps. Mag/Online Reviews are no guarantee either, I really didn’t like FACT 12 even though going into the demo they were paper favourites. If they had a knocked about demo pair I might give it a go but really not comfortable getting a brand new pair and sending back, they are a £2k item.

Im smitten by it, very clean, slightly dry sounding, and I love the look of a Clearaudio........sorry I mean Marantz!! lol.
It comes with a good arm (also Clearaudio) and I fitted my AT 440 MLb onto it. I use a Musical Fidelity M1 Phono and Quad Vena (V1) amp.

I’ve the same deck but using the bundled CA cart (a virtuoso wood), and just can’t get it to sing. Maybe it’s the cart but it might be the setup.

You have a fab setup!

I’ve the same deck but using the bundled CA cart (a virtuoso wood), and just can’t get it to sing. Maybe it’s the cart but it might be the setup.

You have a fab setup!
Thank you, yes I’m quite pleased with it at the mo, might look at a different phono stage at some point.
Have you tried any other cartridge? The entry level Audio Technica (ATVM95C) might be worth a go for a comparison and it’s only £30. You can upgrade the stylus if it’s along the right lines.....just a thought.

Reactions: ask
kkEps97N_t.jpg

Recent speaker swap from Larsen Model 4 to Wharfedale Linton Heritage. The little Larsen's were fantastic but could never get round physics with regards to bass. The Wharfedale's, to my ears, have all the good attributes of the Larsen's but just fill out that bottom end.

That looks ace. Thought about those foam pads for the speakers, I got some before the fancy isoacoustic stands I now have, got them off studiospares for about £15, made a decent difference.

Cheers, I was going to look at pads or pods they use of Genelec studio monitors, but on the lightweight Ikea shelf it sounds good.

kkEps97N_t.jpg

Recent speaker swap from Larsen Model 4 to Wharfedale Linton Heritage. The little Larsen's were fantastic but could never get round physics with regards to bass. The Wharfedale's, to my ears, have all the good attributes of the Larsen's but just fill out that bottom end.

What are the amps next to the speakers ? NVA ?

All change for me on the amplification side. No Naim for the first time in a long time.

I’m going to need some longer legs for the podium rack to allow the Sugden some breathing space. I might go all the way up to 30 cm because of the IV-4 is starting to appear on my radar.

The Rega on the bottom shelf is retired until May.

Given the amazing number of beautiful looking rooms and systems that people seem to have, I thought i'd share the reality of what our house looks like at the moment. We've got building work going on, hence the scaffolding out the windows, and so the front room has tools, stuff from other rooms, and the usual detritus from everyday life during lockdown. Add to the mix a new to me pair of tannoys in not pretty (or effective) cabinets, and this is the result:

PXL_20201104_090053191-1 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

Given the amazing number of beautiful looking rooms and systems that people seem to have, I thought i'd share the reality of what our house looks like at the moment. We've got building work going on, hence the scaffolding out the windows, and so the front room has tools, stuff from other rooms, and the usual detritus from everyday life during lockdown. Add to the mix a new to me pair of tannoys in not pretty (or effective) cabinets, and this is the result:

PXL_20201104_090053191-1 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

Detritus? Detritus is empty MacDonalds boxes, cans of lager on their sides, overflowing ashtrays... You have a nice piano and an effin' harp! (Not being mean but the slght incongruity made me smile). Looks a comfortable space to listen and make music in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back