advertisement

Rega Fono MM MkIII output level

PJD

pfm Member
Just checking out the Joy Division Ruby Red 40th Anniversary of Unknown Pleasures (very pleased I gripped this when it was £18!) with my new Rega Fono MkIII - the phono stage sounds excellent first impressions are great :

joy.png

However it's output is non standard for line level with the 2M silver cart - it's clipping my PreSonus Quantum interface at -10dBv consumer level ... so flipping it into +4dBu and using digital gain but I would rather not!

Anyone know if there's a trim pot inside for setting output level or cartridge sensitivity etc?

Hi PJD,

Got my Fono 3 a year ago and it's superb.Did find after 3 days being continually on it really opens out.Have never powered mine down and it's a lovely little thing.Great value for money and nice understated styling.

Enjoy !

Hi Miss Ariel !

In my research, one of your earlier comments came up, encouraged me to buy it and I'm very pleased I did :)

Sounds tonally very different to the Pro-Ject I was using - can't wait to see how the sound develops in the coming days

@Mr Pig It means I have to rip at 24bit and normalise or use digital gain to make up - wasted bits there - then downsample if I want to output 16bit. Ideally a line level signal is a line level signal doesn't produce overs can be recorded 'unmolested', as it were. Tbh mostly academic really, should be inaudible and will encourage more HD rips, I'm just trying to record with as little processing as possible. (I'm guessing the hot signal is due to variations in cartridge sensitive and impedance? I'm still on a learning curve with vinyl gear.) For most folks this is a non issue, going into an amp is fine..

Hi PJD,

It will definitely improve - I was a bit under whelmed with mine on day 1.But day 2 it was better.Day 3 it really snapped into focus and imaging was better and separation of the mix on records.
Couldn't really hear much more improvement after that.Sorry can't add anything to your output level post.
Pleased my positive comments encouraged you to get one.
Happy listening - Enjoy !

Reactions: PJD

advertisement

Back