advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
16,000 infectious cases unaccounted for for five days, 48,000 potential contacts at large. No contact tracing. Superforecaster Cummings, Lady Dido and Matt Hancock with a £10bn budget - beaten by an excel spreadsheet.

You don’t get it because you don’t want to get it. Sturgeon has no legal authority to sack any MP. She has repeatedly asked her to resign. Ferrier has not as yet been charged by the police or had her case heard by the relevant Parliamentary commission but she has had the whip withdrawn- the only sanction her party leader can use against her. There is at least one MP under police investigation for rape who still holds the whip from his party. Another actually charged with imprisonable offences by the police had the whip restored to him!, then was convicted and went to prison.

I get it but don’t think Sturgeon actually wants her to resign.

Worldometers records an official 35m cases worldwide. And yet WHO announced today they reckon 10% of world have had it, or 700m. A factor of 20 higher.
The case numbers in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, most of S. America, parts of Africa and some of Asia like Indonesia and Philippines could easily be 20 times higher. Should we add the UK to that list ?
If the deaths figure is more accurate the mortality rates could be much lower than Worldometers implies.

I don’t believe Cummings travelled for at least 5 hours in close proximity to hundreds of people whilst knowingly C19 positive. Had he done so, I’m in no doubt Boris would have fired him. I suppose Sturgeon saying she should resign was just lip service. If she went, Labour might win a seat. By next week, it’ll all be forgotten.

As others have said Sturgeon can't make her resign as an MP. As for Cummings I do not share your optimism over Johnson firing him, but the point I was making is that when one high profile politician does something like that and gets away with it then others will think they can too. Much like Jo Public they are prone to be led by those who are supposed to set an example. As aide to the PM Cummings should be doing that more than just about anyone! As for Sturgeon not wanting Ferrier to resign I think she made it pretty clear she expects it even if she does not want it.

16,000 infectious cases unaccounted for for five days, 48,000 potential contacts at large. No contact tracing. Superforecaster Cummings, Lady Dido and Matt Hancock with a £10bn budget - beaten by an excel spreadsheet.

..whilst Cummings, Lady Dido & Matt Hancock spread shit...

Astonishing that she hasn’t been sacked. Sadly I expect this behaviour from the two main career parties, but I rather hoped progressives would act with a little more integrity and dignity. Had she worked for me she’d have been standing in the car park with the contents of her desk in a cardboard box within an hour of being discovered. I never had any great issue sacking people for gross misconduct (making people redundant is exponentially harder), and I’d certainly never expect to retain a job myself had I done something so staggeringly reckless and irresponsible. Politics seems full of remarkably dodgy people though, so apparently different rules apply.

Astonishing that she hasn’t been sacked. Sadly I expect this behaviour from the two main career parties, but I rather hoped progressives would act with a little more integrity and dignity. Had she worked for me she’d have been standing in the car park with the contents of her desk in a cardboard box within an hour of being discovered. I never had any great issue sacking people for gross misconduct (making people redundant is exponentially harder), and I’d certainly never expect to retain a job myself had I done something so staggeringly reckless and irresponsible. Politics seems full of remarkably dodgy people though, so apparently different rules apply.

The SNP aren't progressive, they're just Labour pre Blair.

They're hopeless, great at PR, but hopeless, they've been in government here for about 20 years and couldn't run a minoge.

OK, I knew I was going to get in trouble as soon as I said "more real" and I certainly don't want to pursue it. But having just come back from the shops, I'm now a bit clearer about what was at the back of my mind before. It's this.

Here we are in the middle of the biggest crisis for generations and all some people are able to do is complain about who got the contracts. It's just not a good look -- especially since it can be so easily reframed as carping (more tests than Italy and France put together, mobile community test sites etc etc blah blah blah.) It's like fiddling while Rome burns.

From The Good Law Project, re fiddling

A lobbying firm run by allies of Dominic Cummings was handed a contract worth £900,000 to conduct public opinion polling on the coronavirus pandemic. The contract was awarded to Hanbury Strategy without any advertisement or competitive tender process. And it was awarded to Hanbury despite the fact that - as our sworn evidence discloses - Hanbury was ill-suited to do the bulk of the work and would have had to subcontract it to others. That sworn evidence also suggests that the price paid by Government was “absolutely off the chart”.

Two of three active directors of Hanbury Strategy are Mr Paul Stephenson, a former Conservative advisor and Vote Leave alumni, and Mr Ameetpal Singh Gill, a former advisor to David Cameron. The Government has ignored the law which requires them to publish details of the contract. However, media reports state that the contract came to an end after four months, with Hanbury Strategy having run up a bill of more than half a million pounds. Without details of the contract, we have no way of knowing how they arrived at this huge sum of money.

Ignoring proper procurement practices to hand lucrative contracts to your mates is unlawful. We have issued judicial review proceedings to challenge this award. More details of the claim can be found here.

These aren’t the only long-time associates of Dominic Cummings getting rich from COVID-19. We have already issued judicial review proceedings over a contract awarded to Public First, a small polling company owned by former colleagues of Mr Cummings. Again, the contract was not advertised and no other companies were invited to bid for it.

The Government does not contend its actions are lawful. It says only that we cannot bring these challenges because we do not have standing. They argue only companies who could have bid on these contracts have that right. But other companies operating in this space will not speak out for fear of losing other business.

So it falls to us. We cannot, and will not, stop in our efforts to hold this Government to account.

Lest we forget, us and our kids will be paying this off for the rest of their lives. Of course worrying about it is tantamount to fiddling while Rome burns. Well, they're fiddling me and you while Rome burns, and someone needs to hold their feet to the fire.

MPs can't be sacked.

The SNP have withdrawn the whip, which is as much as they can do:

"...whip being withdrawn from an MP or Lord. This means that the Member is effectively expelled from their party (but keeps their seat) and must sit as an independent until the whip is restored."

https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/principal/whips/

It seems that either an MP has to resign, or, under specific circumstances, face recall:

"There are three ways that process begins:
  • If an MP is convicted of a crime and imprisoned
  • If an MP is suspended from the Commons for ten sitting days
  • If an MP is convicted of misleading expenses claims"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54424360

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015

Are you saying that Kylie could beat them all in the 200 metres?

I knew that this would go over a lot of people’s heads, a minoge is a worker’s run loan scheme basically its run over 20 weeks and twenty workers pay an equal share into it every week so everyone pays a pound per week and every week someone receives £20 until every one is paid and it’s a really simple scheme to run hence the putdown ‘they couldn’t run a minoge’:D

Your welcome I’m here all week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back